Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dress sizeing up?

Default Dress sizeing up?

Does anyone know of anywhere where someone could get say a extra small dress style sized up to a large, extra large, or(if I manage to lose enough weight) a medium? I found a winter dress I just love but it's only avalible in extra small from amazon. I've been shopping for a few things to make a cute outfit and this dress came the closest to perfect for the style i want. I also plan for tights, petticoats, maybe a cloak/shawl, and maybe legwarmers. I might also need some big women's boots.

This dress

I'm asking this seperate from my looking more girly thread since it's a somewhat unrelated question.

CrinklySiren

What are your measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    What are your measurements?
    off the top of my head I only know my pants size, I usually wear 36 or 38 inch pants, and large shirts(typically extra large cuz I like having my shirts go below my pants line).

I can't seem to find measuring tape to check my measurements.

NICE DRESS !
    If the price is reasonable buy the largest size closest to your specs. Then if talented fashion a pattern in your size - buy some material use a sewing machine and create a duplicate only in your size.
    If talent is lacking then see a tailor/seamstress or perhaps one of the forum members has contact with a person who will do this custom work for you.
    Another way is to gander about ebay (and the whole damn internet) for something close and in your price/budget range.
    Your fantasy is out there for you to find or create.
    Get your measurement specs down and do some shopping - and posting in forums such as this !
    Good Luck !

CrinklySiren

if you need a size, i'd say for 14-18, but no less.

thats X-Large in some cases and XX-Large in others. I dont trust amazon's sizing. You're better off going to a department store.

Quote Originally Posted by babylock1 View Post
    NICE DRESS !
    If the price is reasonable buy the largest size closest to your specs. Then if talented fashion a pattern in your size - buy some material use a sewing machine and create a duplicate only in your size.
    If talent is lacking then see a tailor/seamstress or perhaps one of the forum members has contact with a person who will do this custom work for you.
    Another way is to gander about ebay (and the whole damn internet) for something close and in your price/budget range.
    Your fantasy is out there for you to find or create.
    Get your measurement specs down and do some shopping - and posting in forums such as this !
    Good Luck !
    The dress is only available in extra small on amazon. I just hope I'll be able to find a way to either A. explaign things to family, or B. change in the car quickly. Once I have a dress that fits that is.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    if you need a size, i'd say for 14-18, but no less.

thats X-Large in some cases and XX-Large in others. I dont trust amazon's sizing. You're better off going to a department store.
    I might try that sometime, but I'll make sure to be clean shaven first so I might pass for a girl browsing, a department store person did call me "miss" once(i know it was me because there were no other customers at the time).
    Last edited by SalesKital; 08-Nov-2013 at 22:05.

Its not going to happen. When something is upsized it cant go very much without adding cloth. That dress probably has little left over on the seam, and its very shapely.

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post
    Its not going to happen. When something is upsized it cant go very much without adding cloth. That dress probably has little left over on the seam, and its very shapely.
    I did mean the dress pattern or some such, not the dress directly.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesKital View Post
    I did mean the dress pattern or some such, not the dress directly.
    Well,

There is another way to go about this...

Goto a fabric store like Joanne and they have huge catalogs of dress patterns...

In fact there is thousands of them...and the workers will help out too...

Print off a picture and go there...

I know my ex andi went there one day she wanted a dress she saw on line that was just huge money...like $200+...

She found the patterns and bought fabric...cost was maybe $40 for everything...it was a full length dress and she picked some fairly expensive satin for it...

Check them out...

Or even online...Google dress patterns...

I'm thinking it may cost too much to buy that one and reverse engineer it and size it up...

B

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbabybret View Post
    Well,

There is another way to go about this...

Goto a fabric store like Joanne and they have huge catalogs of dress patterns...

In fact there is thousands of them...and the workers will help out too...

Print off a picture and go there...

I know my ex andi went there one day she wanted a dress she saw on line that was just huge money...like $200+...

She found the patterns and bought fabric...cost was maybe $40 for everything...it was a full length dress and she picked some fairly expensive satin for it...

Check them out...

Or even online...Google dress patterns...

I'm thinking it may cost too much to buy that one and reverse engineer it and size it up...

B
    I can only think of one issue with that really, my mom works at Joann fabrics.