Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Depressed.

Unhappy Feeling Depressed.

Hey, I've been feeling really depressed lately. It started about a month ago, and I just figured that I would ride things out till they got better. But lately things have just been getting worse and worse. All my friends have been drifting away from me, going off doing cool things, getting good jobs, and their own places while I've been stuck in the same old crappy job with no luck in trying to find a better job. I can't really do much fun activities due to my rigorous school schedule and the fact that I am flat out broke and when I do go out and spend money on myself, its usually followed with guilt over how financially irresponsible I am and I feel even worse than I did before. And when I feel I've hit rock bottom, and get dumped. So now I'm depressed, broke, and stuck in a life I loathe with nobody. I'm desperate at this point and willing to do just about anything to get me out of this.

You will be some one . Take photos walk the beach get out there are things you can do with little or no cash.
    Work it out on that school stuff that your start in life. Hugs

Honestly, I've been feeling the same way for a while now. My two cents would be to just think about what you have, and how you could take steps to improve them. I guess with me I've felt that I've lost a sense of purpose. Not being able to get a job and seeing my friends being more successful than I am kinda keeps you in the lul. Being in my depressive state all I've been able to do is just reflect on my life. After reflecting the only thing that I could come up with is that "You control your own life.". Change only happens if you take the first step. I'm broke too. I'm doing all I can to find a job, but I've been getting rejected or being ignored. Also I feel alone. I've never had any true friends. You can always make friends, but true friends are hard to find. The last few days I've been just thinking what have I've been doing with my life. So far I've felt like i'm just wasting it, but the only one I can blame is myself. I have to make the first step or nothing will happen.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is, You control your own life. All you can do is just keep moving forward. One thing I find that helps is doing volunteer or charity work. Being able to help others just makes you feel better inside. Also it keeps you from thinking about yourself. Anyways best of luck to you. It will get better eventually.

i can completely sympathise with you considering i have been in a similar situation most of the year. It is not easy by any stretch of the imagination when you are trying to study to further your education so you can get a better job. Often, there is a trade off between schooling and working. Whilst you can do both of them together focusing on your schooling means you only have enough money just to get by. Likewise, focusing on earning money so you can go out and do the 'fun' things in life means that there is less focus on the study you need to be doing for your coursework. And to be honest ... i have never been able to find an answer for banking these two things out.

Studying a degree of any kind is hard to start with. Ive been at it for 4 years so far (including this year considering it is almost over for me). I think for me, this year gets to be really hard due to the fact that there are a lot of my friends from high school who are graduating this year. Most degrees at university here in Australia are about 4 years so that is why they are graduating like they are. However, i am doing a degree that is 6 years and so, i am getting pretty jealous of the friends i know who are successful and are moving onto the next stage of their lives ... being able to focus on working, having money and doing fun things. And i do feel like i am still trapped doing what I'm doing. Again, there is no easy way to try and sort it out. I try to look on the bright side (that being that when i graduate i will be able to earn more money then what my friends are) but it is pretty hard to feel like the whole 'wait and see' and things will get better for you.

Life is very much a balance between doing the fun things and organising yourself so you can do the fun things (things like working, studying, etc). Its something that i know i struggle with at times because right now, the scale is very much tipped towards the organising yourself to be able to do the fun things later on. I guess the thing from here to look at is is putting the time and effort into studies/work now worth it for you later on? That is really only a question that you can answer for yourself.

Really, this depressed feeling and these difficulties are things that are going to keep coming back up throughout life. You will have times where you feel like you don't have money to do something that others are doing. There will be times where you feel your colleagues have better things then you do.

So try to keep your head up and move forward (even if it is only slowly). I know it is hard ... I'm trying to do this same thing myself but to take things one day at a time is the best way to go. If you keep looking to try and move forward to the next day then the more likely it is that you will be able to get everything balanced out right.

CrinklySiren

You'll grow out of it. Believe me -_- I've been there too, and judging by the age of all the people commenting, it seems to be a common thing at 21-22... i know im only 24... but a lot happens in 2 years. It just feels like you're stuck right now, but things get better. I don't even have the same friends I had back then, i only have truly like 4 friends and we barely ever hang out because they are always busy with work or school, and when we do hang out, we're all broke and we spend the day inside, drinking and engaging in conversation. Eventually you'll learn to enjoy the smaller things and you'll realize that "doing cool things" really depends on you.

Just remember that if you are unhappy with something, you can always change it... its not impossible; it definitely wont be easy, but that doesn't mean its impossible. Only in the dictionary does Success come before Work. Just keep pushing towards your goals and you'll get there... be patient.

I know what you mean...I think this is happening with everyone right now. I guess you could call it a transition phase.

If you're going to school and have enough money to live, then what's the trouble? Find artistic things to do in your free time. You channel your inner color when you do something artistic, and when you have tangible products that came from intangible feelings or ideas, you'll learn more about yourself and how your image manifests in this world.

Thanks for the responses. They're helping me out and I'm feeling less bad. Hoping for this to pass soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lilaznboy View Post
    Honestly, I've been feeling the same way for a while now. My two cents would be to just think about what you have, and how you could take steps to improve them. I guess with me I've felt that I've lost a sense of purpose. Not being able to get a job and seeing my friends being more successful than I am kinda keeps you in the lul. Being in my depressive state all I've been able to do is just reflect on my life. After reflecting the only thing that I could come up with is that "You control your own life.". Change only happens if you take the first step. I'm broke too. I'm doing all I can to find a job, but I've been getting rejected or being ignored. Also I feel alone. I've never had any true friends. You can always make friends, but true friends are hard to find. The last few days I've been just thinking what have I've been doing with my life. So far I've felt like i'm just wasting it, but the only one I can blame is myself. I have to make the first step or nothing will happen.

So I guess what i'm trying to say is, You control your own life. All you can do is just keep moving forward. One thing I find that helps is doing volunteer or charity work. Being able to help others just makes you feel better inside. Also it keeps you from thinking about yourself. Anyways best of luck to you. It will get better eventually.
    It's funny after I posted this I got a phone/Skype interview today, and was hired on the spot "Keep moving forward" something will happen eventually

Quote Originally Posted by gsmax View Post
    Thanks for the responses. They're helping me out and I'm feeling less bad. Hoping for this to pass soon enough.
    if it goes on for a long time, without any breaks in feeling low maybe head over to your doctor?

I think you'll have to be patient and try to finish your school out. When I graduated college I moved out of state and started a low paying job which I hated. I was miserable. I quit that job, moved to Ohio, another out of state location, and did something I loved doing. I met some new people, one which became my wife. Just hang in there. Education is important, but then move on. Hopefully doors will open for you and things will get better.