Thread: Cloth diapers in an apt with out washer drier

Question Cloth diapers in an apt with out washer drier

O recently moved, I have a new appatrment but this place does not have a washer/drier in unit like my last place. To do a load it costs 3:50, and I am wondering something.

1) I have always done the diaper laundry every 3 days (to help prevent the smell)
    2) I usually only have 3 diapers for each load (one a night, the time I usually get to wear)
    3) I never like to do my diapers with my adult clothing (to help prevent bleed over)
    4) I dry pail them

Is there a way I could get around this cost? Is there a way I could go a bit longer between diaper loads, but at the same time prevent the smell from starting? Any suggestions.

you could hand wash them in a sink and hang them up to dry on the shower rod

I soak mine for a couple of hours and rinse them out in the shower. I wash one or two diapers this way everyday. Hang them up in the shower on shower rod
    and let them drip out.

I recently moved to cloth and found myself in the same boat as you. I started out washing them in the sink and then hang them on the shower rod. Any way a few weeks down the road my partner thought it might be a good idea to get a little portable washer. They cost about $300 up front, but in the long run we are saving money because the building keeps raising the prices on the washers in the building. If we are washing just a few things we hang them on the rods otherwise if it's a larger load that we need ASAP we will run it through the dryer.

You can rinse and wring them out to get most of the urine out and producing less odor. You can also use vinegar in a pail with water. Vinegar helps to sterilize and prevent odor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    You can rinse and wring them out to get most of the urine out and producing less odor. You can also use vinegar in a pail with water. Vinegar helps to sterilize and prevent odor as well.
    Was just about to suggest vinegar here.

If you can't wash them in a washing machine, then this is probably your best bet; make sure to soak it well.

Doing this and doing the laundry is a wonderful idea, you could probably stretch it out to a full week if you soak them good enough.

I take mine in the shower with me and rinse them in there. you could also do a full wash in there with some liquid detergent and hang dry them. When I lived in a apartment I did wash an all in one in the community laundry only to have someone remove my laundry and place it on another washer. that could have been even more embarrassing had I walked in with someone else in other.

Quote Originally Posted by barkd74 View Post
    I take mine in the shower with me and rinse them in there. you could also do a full wash in there with some liquid detergent and hang dry them. When I lived in a apartment I did wash an all in one in the community laundry only to have someone remove my laundry and place it on another washer. that could have been even more embarrassing had I walked in with someone else in other.
    Same here, many times I've spread out my night diapers (flat flannel) in the shower before showering. The hot sudsy water running off me onto the diapers clean them as well as any washer. Afterwards I wring out and hang to dry. By bedtime they’re dry and back on me.

I’ve also hand washed in a pail of hot soapy water followed by a rinse in cold water.

I always rinse mine out thoroughly in the bathtub as soon as I take them off, then I either wash them by hand in the tub, or put them in the washing machine, and hang them to dry above the bedroom heater, or outside if the weather is good enough (it usually isn't).