Thread: Swaddlers now up to Size 5 in the US

Default Swaddlers now up to Size 5 in the US

I was reading Slashdot.org for my daily tech fix and saw an ad on the site for Pampers of all things (this was on a work PC) that proclaimed "Pampers Swaddlers: now up to Size 5".

This surprised me a bit - I always saw Swaddlers as just Pampers' main product for Newborn to Size 2, that was specially designed to better anatomically fit smaller babies, rather than it being something 'special' (like how years ago there was Pampers, Ultra Pampers, Pampers Stretch, etc), but I guess not.

The main selling-points are the wetness indicator and it's softness - is that a codeword for 'thicker'?

I'd wager most users would start toilet-training while in Size 5, possibly Size 4, so I'm curious what this means. Does upsizing the swaddlers necessarily mean infantilising toddlers? (Presumably the next stage involves introducing Pampers Baby-dry or Cruisers Size 8 ).

Does anyone have any comparison photos? What is the value-proposition being given to parents? (And is the wetness indicator really necessary?)

Yup. A local supermarket (QFC) has had signs and sample diapers out for a couple of weeks. Despite advertising that size 5 exists, however, QFC doesn't appear to sell it.

I think the target market here is simply the "sensitive skin" crowd -- similar to Huggies Pure & Natural, which also tops out at size 5.

Interestingly, Pampers started putting the quilted Swaddlers covers on Cruisers last year, however they no longer mention this on Pampers.com. It makes me wonder whether, as part of the Swaddlers 5 roll-out, they're reverting to the old Cruisers cover to help differentiate the products. I'll have to grab a pack of the newest Cruisers soon and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalSomeThing View Post
    The main selling-points are the wetness indicator and it's softness - is that a codeword for 'thicker'?

I'd wager most users would start toilet-training while in Size 5, possibly Size 4, so I'm curious what this means. Does upsizing the swaddlers necessarily mean infantilising toddlers? (Presumably the next stage involves introducing Pampers Baby-dry or Cruisers Size 8 ).
    I really doubt that it means "thicker", they just probably fluff up the cloth cover more and call it softer.

I and I also doubt they will make larger Cruiser sized diapers, Size 7 did not do well, that why it is harder to find size 7, I will admit I would LOVE to be wrong as that means some day they might go larger, but I doubt I am wrong, heck I would not be surprised if they discontinued Size 7. I don't even see size 7 in stores anymore.

I just bought a pack of size 7 tonight and they're too small for me but I'll figure something out with them but they're really soft and I wish I could wear them

Jbradshaw90: You can stuff them in a regular brief, and wear them like you would a pad. They will stay in place, and hold minor drips. You can even do the same with a size 5 Swaddler. The tapes on these won't dig into skin. In fact, you won't even feel them!