Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to learn python? Or help me learn?

Default Anyone want to learn python? Or help me learn?

I've been reading up a bit about it online over the past few weeks and I've made a few minor programs that run from a command prompt. I know learning a programming language can be kinda hard, but does anyone here want to learn? We could help each other out. Or uh... if no one wants to, is there anyone that could help me? I'm doing pretty well, but it would be nice to have someone to talk to about it. It's just easier to learn stuff when not doing so alone. I have one friend that wants to learn, but he seems to be going at a pretty slow pace. So does anyone want to help me? or does anyone actually want to learn together....?

I'd be interested in learning with you, though for me it would be pretty much from scratch. I've downloaded it, but I haven't actually done anything with it yet, so I would be starting from behind you. But yeah, I'd be more then willing to learn it with you - just you may need to help me to begin with until I have gotten up to where you are. There is always someone who knows even less than you!

I'm sure you've seen my very simple Mzk cypher plugin for Xchat.

Tell me what you have learned exactly and I'll see if I can find a suitable challenge that will be possible for you to do. Yet remain a bit of a challenge. right? ~

What variable types have you dealt with? Done for or while loops yet? Learnt how to create functions?

I'd be more than willing to help. Just give us a shout when you got a question.

OK, I made *another* prime number finding script. This time. It took me a couple of minutes rather than a couple of hours on my first PHP script years ago.
    PHP Code:
    # This will simply try to find prime numbers

#We'll guess that 2 is a prime already and start testing numbers from 2, our 
    # 'subject'. This value will hold our currently tested number to see if it is
    # a prime.
    primelist = [2]
    subject 2

#for each subject

while 1:
    #Is it prime?
        #Result is a boolean value given to say whether the current subject
        #number is a prime or not
    result True
    #This will put each number in the list primelist into the variable prime.
        # 'for each' number in the primelist. It will run through that code.
        # It's pseudo code!
    for prime in primelist:
    #Check if the prime devides by our subject test number or not.
    if subject%prime == 0:
    #It looks like that it devided perfectly with a known prime
    result False
    # Speed things up a little. Why work out all the other primes when
                # it's not really needed?.
                # It breaks the loop and stops. Exiting the loop and ignoring all
                # other values in the primelist that it has yet to test.

#If it was a prime, result would stay True.
    if result:
    #We append the list to add our newly found prime onto the end of our 
            # prime list!
    #Make sure our next subject is one bigger! for the next time round in 
        #the loop
    subject +=1
    # this just stops the code once I found all primes upto 100,
        # But not including 100. Otherwise we'll be in a infinte loop!
    if subject == 100:
    But the extra commenting took awhile longer to do.
    Last edited by Martin; 21-Dec-2008 at 20:50. Reason: Merge

I personally love Python. I'd be glad to help if you have questions.

I tried learning it a while ago. Well, I started learning C++, but that was a bit to confusing for me so I stopped. After a while I tried again, but it was still a bit complicated so I switched to python and it seemed a lot simpler.

I worked out how to do some stuff, but in the end I just wasn't motivated enough because I couldn't think of anything to do with it, and I'm never sure if I'm doing it right when I'm learning something from the internet. But I think if I was learning with someone else I would actually keep doing it, rather than get bored and give up quickly.

So, to summarize: yeah, I'd love to learn it with you!

My experience with Python is like this:

Me - "What's it like"
    Python Programmer - "It's like C but whitespace affects the program"
    Me - "Sensitive to whitespace? meh"

Quote Originally Posted by sniper14th View Post

Me - "What's it like"
    Python Programmer - "It's like C but whitespace affects the program"
    Me - "Sensitive to whitespace? meh"
    Hah! Yeah, typically you encapsule code in {} curly brackets or what you call them. With python, its on the indentation 'whitspace'. And A tab is different to a couple of spacebars. So you have that to consider as well. But you either typically stick to one or the other.

I never understood why people care so much about the whitespace thing. I mean, if you already properly indent your code, then what difference does it make? Plus a good editor (I use emacs) will automatically indent in for you and cycle through different indentation levels when you hit tab.

Am I the only one who thought this thread about learning Parseltoungue like in Harry Potter? >.>