Thread: Clarification on finer details of the furry fandom

Default Clarification on finer details of the furry fandom

I'm sorry guys, I know this type of thing had to pop up a few times before but i want to learn more about this fandom and need to ask a few questions that are a little more personal before i decided if I actually am a furry or would fit in with the community. besides I would assume a thread like this could help other people.

I have a question on what exactly a fursona is, my understanding is that it is a furry character that you use to represent yourself. but is this character supposed to be you with a furry body, is it your inner animal, is it your self idealized, is it a fictional character that you roleplay as, is it a spiritual thing, is it practically human, is it highly animalistic, is it your avatar, or is it some mix of these things/ none of these things

my other question is online do furries express them selves as their fursona in regular speach, is it just for roleplay, or something else.

Sorry if this bothers you but i do need a lot of clarification on what a furry is supposed to do and the fursona if you could help me out i would be very grateful

Hey sweetie!

That's a really awesome question actually, furry is very much an umbrella, to different people it means different things.

I live with a housepet that is a wolf, she has a very established inner-self and is very much my puppy, my pet and my baby girl.

For myself however, despite maybe really wanting something like all of that, i've never really had a very established inner self, i've drifter around cat, mouse, dog and found them all pretty fun but i also really enjoyed being an aardvark so yeaaah.

You fursona can be just a simple avatar or it can be a deeper more spiritual thing, both are fine and both are completely tight way to do it, it's totally up to you how you want to interact.

You might find roleplaying as your fursona is really fun, you might try being a tapir and suddenly realize that it strikes a very deep chord in you and that you would like to explore it more.

Furry is everything to everyone so there's no answer but the ones that you make for yourself.

I know personally, i'd like to have a inner animal a lot, it sounds really amazingly cool; but everything i've tried hasn't quite worked out leaving me with more questions really.

So for now, I stick with it being an avatar online, a way for people to identify with me and hopefully see all the best qualities I have to offer!

My housepup does fully identify with her fursona, she wears a collar with her furry name on it and get's all waggy when you tell her she is a good puppy, good girl Sasha!
    I myself don't so much, most people know me as Feef now however so that is usually how i introduce myself irl.

Best of luck poppet, let us all know how you get on and if you need to know anything else, we aren't all that far away.

Huh, that does explain a lot and I think I'm kinda closer to understanding this but...

what do you mean when you say you enjoyed being a cat, mouse, dog and ardvark.

Quote Originally Posted by SicartheaSpikefan View Post
    Huh, that does explain a lot and I think I'm kinda closer to understanding this but...

what do you mean when you say you enjoyed being a cat, mouse, dog and ardvark.
    A lot of furres test out a several species to see how each one feels, or simply just for fun to change it up occasionally. I assume that she meant that she has tried making her character or fursona each of those species and while entertaining found them unfulfilling.

My first try was as a house cat that was based on a past pet, while fun I don't think I have the right personality for the species.

okay I understand that you may have to go through many animals to find the one right for you but is it possible that there may not be a right animal

also how do you be a species

kayley

Think: story character. Thats realy all it is. You wright a character, or "persona" to present the world. And as a furry, its a "Fursona".
    You can make up the fursona to be anything you want. You can change gender, age, species, religion, and place in time at will. You can alter physics, dimensions, reality how ever you want. It would be perfectly acceptable to create a character who's a time shifting multi-gendered Giant ethereal space monkey from a galaxy where all matter is made of cookies and gum comes in only the flavor wet.

There are a few social norms with Fursonas, though. Most fursona end up being a reflection of the original person, or at least an echo based on who they want to be. Since you will be interacting with real people through your fursona, its best to make any details about them easily identifiable as being part of the "story"
    For example:
    If you say you live/lived in a place, it should either be true for you, or so imporbable that its easily identified as part of your fursona.
    Telling people you live Egypt but moved during the uprising a couple years ago would be in poor taste if not true. But telling people that you lived in Bolivia during the jurasic period, or London in 1783 would be just fine.
    Telling people that your parents lost their home and their lives on Mt. St. Helens would be bad. Telling people that you mourn your family's loss at Pompeii when Mt. Vesuvius blew up would be fine.
    Telling people that you're dieing of cancer would be icky, but telling people that you're dieing of Swine Flu you got from this Pig you were porking at the bacon fest would be ... well, hamming it up, but fine. =^.^=

Its perfectly ok to have many fursona. Sometimes it's easier to manage just one main fursona, but few people have just one. =^.^= You really can change them as often as your sox. And thats really the best way to find what you like.

Wow guys you all really helped me out a lot. Most of this furry stuff is confusing and you know how sometimes you can't answer the questions exactly using a Google search.

but still, thanks, I think i should starting working on a fusona soon

Quote Originally Posted by SicartheaSpikefan View Post
    I'm sorry guys, I know this type of thing had to pop up a few times before but i want to learn more about this fandom and need to ask a few questions that are a little more personal before i decided if I actually am a furry or would fit in with the community. besides I would assume a thread like this could help other people.

I have a question on what exactly a fursona is, my understanding is that it is a furry character that you use to represent yourself. but is this character supposed to be you with a furry body, is it your inner animal, is it your self idealized, is it a fictional character that you roleplay as, is it a spiritual thing, is it practically human, is it highly animalistic, is it your avatar, or is it some mix of these things/ none of these things

my other question is online do furries express them selves as their fursona in regular speach, is it just for roleplay, or something else.

Sorry if this bothers you but i do need a lot of clarification on what a furry is supposed to do and the fursona if you could help me out i would be very grateful
    It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on it already, as you've summarised a whole bunch of aspects associated with the furry community pretty succinctly!

And as people have already said, it really depends on the person - everyone has their own idea of what being furry means to them, and how they want to apply it to themselves.
    At the end of the day, your fursona should be whatever you want it to be

I haven't seen it represented on a graph before, but it would be interesting to try plotting one to position furs according to their interests relevant to some of the points you mentioned:

*'Anthro' vs 'Feral' (i.e. balance of human vs animal characteristics)
    *Level of spirituality
    *Species / Fluidity (i.e. changing fursona or having multiple fursonas of different species or genders, etc.)

A fursona to me is just a persona you use. It can be accurate or nothing like you.

I do have fursonas but I don't use them. I don't draw, I don't roleplay, and I'm a lazy writer so there's no real reason for me to. I plan on buying a fursuit for my main though..

If I look inwards I see a white Tiger but with some human components so an anthropomorphic tiger suits me purrfectly. I have a lot of tiger traits in this life that have come with me from my past life as a Tiger. I growl and hiss when I am mad, I claw at things, growl and roar at the postman (from inside the door) I love to chew on things a lot and often get into trouble for chewing furnature. I do act as a human when I am out and about or working though, the inner tiger is still there but is kinda kept locked up for a while.