Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Name of internal television parts

  1. #1

    Default Name of internal television parts

    Does anyone know of like a list or something of internal television parts? Like the big green boards, the chips, things like that...I want to ask if my dad has some, but I need to know what they're called D:

  2. #2


    What, exactly are you after?

    Generally, the schematics and parts list are available from the manufacturers and there are a number of specialist companies that sell spares - quite often to trade account holders only rather than the general public, but there are exceptions.

    If it's the high voltage bit you're after (just guessing,) that's the flyback transformer

  3. #3


    Also what type? It makes a big difference. Plasma, LCD, CRT ect...

    All I know is The 'green magical board' will be called the PCB. :P

  4. #4


    Uhhh...Well I'm not going to use them for actually making any thing electricoralisticish...I have no clue what the difference in the TV kinds either...Just the general things, and what they look like...Like transistors and all that

  5. #5


    First of let me tell you that if your going to take apart your TV then make sure that you know what your doing. The components/parts in your TV will largely depend on what kind of TV you have, for instance some of the parts used in a tube television set will be completely different from some of the parts used in a LCD set.


    This is an antique tube television set

    Here is the newer tube TV

    This is a LCD TV

    Here is a plasma screen TV which is alot like the LCD screen TV

    Since most people still have tube televisions I am going to assume that yours is a tube set? So here is an extremely basic list of parts used in them.


    Cathode ray electron tube: This tube emits one to three different electron beams that emit forward onto the steering coils.

    Steering coils: The steering coils basically move that beam around at like billionths of a second and then it projects that onto the televisions screen, for viewing.

    Phosphor screen:This is the screen in the front of your TV, it displays the picture that you watch.

    Antenna: The little rabbit ears that will be pretty much useless when the government moves to all digital broadcasts in early 2009.

    Like the big green boards, the chips, things like that
    I believe that you are referring to the PCB, which stands for "Printed circuit board" which looks something like this usually.

    These will almost always vary from TV to TV and you should not really mess with them unless you’re a professional TV repairman.

    Here are some basic parts you should be familiar with.





    Also here is a handy little diagram I found for you

    Those are some of the basic parts of a tube television. But I HIGHLY recommend that if you are inexperienced with how TV's work and their internal components then you should get it repaired professionally. Keep in mind that you have a very high chance of getting shocked if you don’t know what your doing! Also I would be happy to help you further if you post some more information on the TV and what you need to do with the components. People can spend their whole lives learning this stuff, so take it slowly, and you will get the hang of it eventually.

    Good luck now you owe me a cookie!
    Last edited by Secret; 20-Dec-2008 at 22:40.

  6. #6


    I wasn't planning on taking apart my TV...My dad fixes them, so I was going to see if he had any parts that I could use to make something...PCB is what I was thinking of

  7. #7


    Oh well what are you planning on making? Cause you'll need blank PCB board and the etching chemicals and a tiny drill to make holes for the components to make a PCB?

  8. #8


    Well, the PCB holds all the interesting bits, but you won't find too much on a modern TV that can be adapted for other uses - the chips are very application specific and in general require some fairly specific knowledge to actually make them work. (Not to mention some damn good soldering skills to actually remove them and hook them up to whatever it is you're trying to do with them.) TVs from the 70s and 80s have got some more generic, usable components in them, however.

    That said you can probably scrounge power transistors (of which there are a few different types - Bipolar, MOSFET, IGBT) from modern TVs - generally they will have three legs and will be screwed to a a heatsink or a part of the chassis. These things can be quite useful for switching and controlling stuff. One thing modern TVs will have over older ones is that these devices will be much more robust - you can destroy a MOSFET from an old set with a very light static discharge - new devices will last a lot longer in the hands of an experimenter.

  9. #9


    I'm starting to have second thoughts...But thanks for helping you two...I wasn't going to make something using the parts in any electrical sense...I was going to make something in a more artful sense :3

  10. #10


    OK, since nobody said it, I will


    Unless you are aware how to work on a TV/CRT device, DO NOT OPEN THE CASE!!

    Even though the device is unplugged, and may have been for some time, the flyback transformer and capicators store electric for a very long time and they must be discharged before you can work on them.

    Failure to properly discharge them can result in electrocution OR DEATH!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Childhood Television Memories
    By Jaiden in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2008, 17:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  • - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community. is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.