Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 1 billion dollars looks like

Default What 1 billion dollars looks like

PERSPECTIVE!

Absolutely insane. No one person should have that much money...let alone multiples of that much money...

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    Absolutely insane. No one person should have that much money...let alone multiples of that much money...
    Please explain.

At what point would you cap someone's success? $1,000,000 net worth? $500,000? Maybe we can do it based off yearly salary too. Cap that at $100,000 no matter what their job. No one needs that much money a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHare View Post
    ... was he using the calculator?...
    Looks more like MS paint or some other painting application.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post
    Please explain.

At what point would you cap someone's success? $1,000,000 net worth? $500,000? Maybe we can do it based off yearly salary too. Cap that at $100,000 no matter what their job. No one needs that much money a year.
    Good point... I guess it would be hard to maintain perspective on the reality of most people's struggles being in such an incredibly privileged position.

I could say that i don't do all that well, but then compared to many others in this world well.......

Point taken

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverPup View Post
    Please explain.

To a certain extent, eve though this comment was made sarcastically, I agree with it. I dislike having, "economic classes" at all, but I can't deny that they work to motivate people. It is also justified that a person who works with more work ethic or ingenuity receive more payment. However, when it gets to the point that you could, in a hypothetical situation, buy a mansion and attend dinner theatre every day for the rest of your life while still having enough money to buy another mansion or two just sitting in the bank... that's where I'd draw the line. I'd do some calculations, but this is all hypothetical... and impossible.

Im going to be honest here ... i disagree with what some of you say that there reaches a limit where people should be capped on the money they have and thus, not be able to attain that kind of money. And let me explain why i believe this to be the case.

The reality is that there is a completely different type of thinking in people that have this kind of money. As was said in the video (the example of 70 billion dollars with Bill Gates), people with that kind of money don't keep it all to themselves. They live of like 1% of that money and donate it to charities or use it to set up companies in order to create jobs, etc. In other words ... they might have that figure in their bank account but that does not mean it just sits there (this would be extremely bad if they did that because then economies would collapse because the economy in the world relies on money changing hands ... if tomorrow no one used money and continued not to use money by leaving it in their bank account or under their mattress it would effectively become worthless and the economy of that country would collapse).

You guys have to understand, i don't think that we should cap people. Why is it that people who do the work, people who do things (most of the time outside of what everyone else is doing) differently should be limited by the amount that they earn. If you do the things that people won't, you can live where people can't. That is the reality and that is why people who earn this kind of money are able to do what they want to do.

We all, as people who live from pay cheque to pay cheque (or maybe we are lucky and have some savings) cannot understand that and we expect people earning money like this to somehow provide things for us or find ways to prevent them from earning that kind of money which i think is unfair.

Now to clarify here, i am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I am a university student and my family is one that continues to works like everyone else (my parents are 65 and are working so they can help pay for me to go to university). The thing is, i am looking for ways to make financial freedom ... Does this mean i want to be rich ... no. Does this mean i want a billion dollars ... that depends on what i consider to be financial freedom. If you can achieve the things you want to with the money you have then i think that is great. But there are a lot of things i want to be able to achieve ... there are things i want to do for myself and there are things that i want to do to help other.

Imagine this for a minute ... You had that kind of money in your bank account. Would you still work? Would you go and change career and do something you always wanted to do? Would you do volunteer work full time? What if you were still working and your boss came to you saying he needed to sack 3 people because he couldn't afford them anymore and you needed to figure out who was to go. How amazing would it be to be in a position where you could shake your bosses hand, thank him for the experience of working with him and say i will leave so someone else can keep their job.

These are the sorts of things that are possible when you have money that means you can replace your income ... where you can replace your job ... where you can attain financial freedom.

It is really amazing when you get to meet people who do amazing things like this. I have met people who are achieving that sort of thing. And i can tell you that it is something else when you get to talk with them because they aren't worried about their bills ... they aren't stressed about life ... they get to have fun and help out people to have fun too.

And it is for these reasons that a lot of people continue to earn the kind of money that we are talking about here. Yes, they probably got there by having a successful company. But what are they doing with the excess they have? I can bet you that what they are doing with it is to help out people, whether through charity or through other ways. When the needs you have are filled satisfactorily then you will turn to try and help other people.

If you look at people who have made this kind of money themselves (i.e. they didn't inherit it from their family) they know the value of hard work and in their minds, they don't feel like there are economic classes. I personally feel like a lot of this whole 'economic class' (at least, in todays society) something that people use as a way to differentiate themselves as a way of making it seem like it is ok not to earn that sort of money. Ill explain what i mean because it is a bit confusing. People who struggle to pay bills, who work full time and who are paying things from pay cheque to pay cheque look at people who have money wishing that they could be there but in their minds saying they are "lucky" or they have "something else that i don't have" therefore that is why they are in a better class them me. Like i mentioned just before, if you talk with people who are wealthy and who created that wealth themselves, you will see that they don't see people who earn less them them as inferior to them. And that is because they know the value of hard work. The only difference between you and that wealthy person is the amount of hard work and the amount of hard work towards your dreams.

There is an interesting saying i have heard recently. Do you know what the difference between a millionaire and a billionaire is? A millionaire looks at the list of his dreams once a day ... a billionaire looks at them much more often then that. In short ... the difference is not a monetary thing ... the difference is how much you believe you can get to where you want to be.

Perhaps the finest example of perspective on money:

xkcd: Money

I've stared at this for upwards of an hour before.