Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't potty train your kids, CPS will come scare tactic?

Default Don't potty train your kids, CPS will come scare tactic?

I was out with my mother today and we were talking about potty training. I told her I heard online if you don't potty train your kids, CPS will be called and my mom said she doesn't know about that and it was probably a scare tactic someone put online to scare diaper lovers. She also said how do you prove you are potty training your child when I said unless you have proof you are and she didn't think a doctors note would make sense. So she thinks it's a scare tactic someone online did for us.

Do you think it's one of those things people do where they tell you something or something else will happen, it's like what parents do to their kids. If you pee in the pool, the water will turn color and everyone will know you did it. If you don't wipe up your spill, a hefflelump will come and they tear our house apart because they are so big and heavy. If you wear diapers, you will lose bladder control and no one will want to share a room with you in college or marry you because they wouldn't want to deal with stinky diapers and smell any.

Parents/ elders tell kids about fake monsters when they don't have a good reason for explaining why spills need to be wiped up. It wasn't until a few years ago when a teacher acquaintance said he tells his class "the reason we have rules is to keep people from getting hurt" - if someone had just said that to me once during childhood it would have saved me from countless mistakes.

If CPS did come to people's houses over this issue wouldn't it have been in newspapers and on TV? They are busy enough with investigating homes where actual physical harm is taking place

No I never heard of that and I'm pretty up to speed on urban myths. I can see if a child has accidents in school where the school might call the parents to discuss the situation, but in our community, maybe your too, CPS has much more serious things to worry about than which children/people are potty trained.

pepsicolaisgreat

Yeah. I'd say it was/is a scare tactic as well.

The only reason I can see, where CPS would be called would be if the child, one would have to assume older, had a terrible case of diaper rash, a sign of neglect. You'll see almost anything and everything on the net. That doesn't mean any of it is true or factual.

If a child is noticed to have constant accidents or potty training issues, in other cases it can be an indicator of abuse, that's why the authorities can get involved.
    Honestly, why on earth would you not potty train your kids? You'd just be setting them up for humiliation down the road.

Some kids just Don't want to be potty trained. Ask any real parent, it is not the parent's decision or the school's, or even the government's decision. its the kids decision if they Absolutly dont want to use the potty....they wont, and there is nothing you can do to stop them aside from forcing them to sit on a toilet for the entire day. the most you can do as far as school is concerned. if they really refuse to use the potty you have to enroll them to a special needs class or try to make a deal with them that they will agree with. i wore Pullups to school and was forced into special needs classes till i was in 7th grade because i refused to use the toilet. i eventually gave up but but as much as they tried they couldn't get me to stop going in my pullups until I WAS READY TO STOP.

The Child has Ultimate Control of Potty training the most the Parent can do is suggest.

But as for alot of accidents at school Alot of kids, boys especily, have legit medical reasons, my son is severe ADHD and has wets atleast 2-3 times a day because of short attention span his body will tell him he has to pee and he will start twords the bathroom just to get distracted by "shiny object" and compleatly forget untill he just cant hold it any more. that is just one example there are thousand of reasons why a kid has an accident. CPS cant accuratly determine beyond reasonable doubt just what was the cause there for they can't take action in most cases because 99% of the time the fault lies with the kid not the parent.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieBaby View Post
    If a child is noticed to have constant accidents or potty training issues, in other cases it can be an indicator of abuse, that's why the authorities can get involved.
    Honestly, why on earth would you not potty train your kids? You'd just be setting them up for humiliation down the road.
    I think this sums it up well. CPS wouldn't go after someone because their child was still in diapers past a certain age. This could be due to disability, medical reasons, etc - not necessarily abuse. Only if the child was showing health issues from the diapers, like being in a filthy room or having rashes or illness related to diapers. But wearing them is not a sign of abuse in and of itself.

That said, I don't see why anyone wouldn't potty train their children. Even as a DL, I wouldn't want my children stuck in diapers. I don't want to be, myself! The health effects, potential for being horribly bullied at school, lack of autonomy, and expense are all very good reasons to train your children if they're capable, which they almost always are. I think the real issue here is why anyone would willingly keep their child in diapers. If someone chooses to go back to diapers as an adult, that's their choice, which they've made freely. But if it's not a free choice, something's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    I think this sums it up well. CPS wouldn't go after someone because their child was still in diapers past a certain age. This could be due to disability, medical reasons, etc - not necessarily abuse. Only if the child was showing health issues from the diapers, like being in a filthy room or having rashes or illness related to diapers. But wearing them is not a sign of abuse in and of itself.

That said, I don't see why anyone wouldn't potty train their children. Even as a DL, I wouldn't want my children stuck in diapers. I don't want to be, myself! The health effects, potential for being horribly bullied at school, lack of autonomy, and expense are all very good reasons to train your children if they're capable, which they almost always are. I think the real issue here is why anyone would willingly keep their child in diapers. If someone chooses to go back to diapers as an adult, that's their choice, which they've made freely. But if it's not a free choice, something's wrong.
    What if the person was under age and they wanted to go back to diapers?

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    What if the person was under age and they wanted to go back to diapers?
    If my child (who doesn't exist) wanted to return to diapers after being toilet trained, I'd sit down with them and try to find out why. In a loving, non-judgemental way, I'd try and find out why they wanted to return to diapers, since the vast majority of children don't want this.

Honestly, I'd be worried that something was wrong. That I'd failed to provide some sort of support or comfort, or that they were dealing with an issue at school, and as a result were seeking the comfort of diapers. My love of diapers, I think, is at least partly wrapped up in being bullied as a child. Many of us point back to hurtful or abusive situations. So if my child was still little, I'd try and help them in other ways.

Even if they were a confirmed, 100% diaper lover, I wouldn't want them to go back into diapers full-time. The potential for being humiliated at school would be enormous, and I'd be concerned about their ability to stay properly clean. I generally don't advise going 24/7 even for adults unless it's medically necessary, though, and I'm sure we'll disagree on that point. If my child was old enough to want to wear diapers in private and make an informed decision on this, I'd allow them to do so at home, in private, worth the understanding that they're responsible for buying them and keeping their room clean. But they'd have to be teenagers, minimum, to make a choice like this rationally. That said, if they felt safe enough to tell me this, I'd feel pretty goad that they felt safe to tell me!

So for a young child, I'd be looking for other causes for their interests and trying to help them. If they were old enough to make decisions like this, I'd say they could do it privately and independently, but not in public or at school. Their self-esteem matters! I think that people who are old enough can choose whether to wear diapers or not, but I think it should be a choice. Becoming dependent on them isn't a good idea. It's about being free to make the choice either way.