Thread: Continuum

Default Continuum

So last week I finished Season 2 of the Syfy show Continuum and it is pretty much one of my favorite shows ever. I mean, time travel, advanced technology, anarchist groups, Rachel Nichols.

For those that don't know I'm going to try and keep the synopsis summarized and no spoilers. It's pretty much about a cop from 2077 being accidentally taken back in time along with the anti-corporate anarchist group Liber8. There, the group plans to use the time to their advantage and create a movement here in our time in order to completely change the future. The cop needs to prevent that in order to preserve the timeline so she can see her husband and son again.

Season 1 is pretty straightforward with the good vs evil them. A cop trying to save the timeline vs a group bombing buildings and killing people. But Season 2 takes that theme and throws it out with a theme much more complex. I don't want to say too much but if you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. For those that have seen it, what do you guys think? Season 3 is expected to be aired next year.

I've been watching Continuum as well. The second season ended here in Canada (where the show is filmed) several months ago. Great ending to the season. I'm glad Kiera finally opened up to Carlos because he was just starting to look totally clueless (as in not too bright).

The thing is, though, that Kiera and Liber8 have already done so much in our time that they have probably already altered the future so it makes me wonder how radically different it will be when she returns (if they get to end the series before it gets cancelled). Have they altered the present which will alter the future or are they fulfilling a role that leads to the future they left behind? Theses concepts just give me a headache.

Anyway, I think Continuum is better than a lot of the current science fiction on television.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    I've been watching Continuum as well. The second season ended here in Canada (where the show is filmed) several months ago. Great ending to the season. I'm glad Kiera finally opened up to Carlos because he was just starting to look totally clueless (as in not too bright).

The thing is, though, that Kiera and Liber8 have already done so much in our time that they have probably already altered the future so it makes me wonder how radically different it will be when she returns (if they get to end the series before it gets cancelled). Have they altered the present which will alter the future or are they fulfilling a role that leads to the future they left behind? Theses concepts just give me a headache.

Anyway, I think Continuum is better than a lot of the current science fiction on television.
    Well I know in one of the earlier episodes, it is explained that there are two ways time travel could have played out. The presence in the past could create a new future, or it is a continuous loop where they go back and inspire events that will cause them to go back, henceforth, a continuum. I believe it is the latter by much evidence. 1. Very first episode, the old guy at the execution is Alec and he smiles after watching Kiera and Liber8 warp back in time. For me this means he already knows of what will/had occurred in the past and is taking the steps he needs in order to send them back. Also, the building explosion. In the second season, Theseus and his group free a corporate detention mind control facility. His actions create Liber8, they go back in time, and inspire Theseus.

I'm used to all these time travel headaches. Haha. But yeah, way better show than most of the stuff on now.

Quote Originally Posted by paciloverbaby3 View Post
    Well I know in one of the earlier episodes, it is explained that there are two ways time travel could have played out. The presence in the past could create a new future, or it is a continuous loop where they go back and inspire events that will cause them to go back, henceforth, a continuum. I believe it is the latter by much evidence. 1. Very first episode, the old guy at the execution is Alec and he smiles after watching Kiera and Liber8 warp back in time. For me this means he already knows of what will/had occurred in the past and is taking the steps he needs in order to send them back. Also, the building explosion. In the second season, Theseus and his group free a corporate detention mind control facility. His actions create Liber8, they go back in time, and inspire Theseus.

I'm used to all these time travel headaches. Haha. But yeah, way better show than most of the stuff on now.
    There must be an assumption that the past can be changed, however, otherwise, why would Keira be risking her life trying to shut down Liber8 if it was all destined to happen. If she just decided to do nothing about Liber8 would that alter the past or would that be a decision that would create the future she left behind. I don't think the future or the past would be set in stone, even though the future Alec may have thought sending them back was setting the events in motion. He also sent a message back to his younger self to warn him of which in itself could alter the future.

If Keira does change the past and returns to the future, she also may find she never met her husband and doesn't have the family which has been her motivation to return to her time. Now that would really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    There must be an assumption that the past can be changed, however, otherwise, why would Keira be risking her life trying to shut down Liber8 if it was all destined to happen. If she just decided to do nothing about Liber8 would that alter the past or would that be a decision that would create the future she left behind. I don't think the future or the past would be set in stone, even though the future Alec may have thought sending them back was setting the events in motion. He also sent a message back to his younger self to warn him of which in itself could alter the future.

If Keira does change the past and returns to the future, she also may find she never met her husband and doesn't have the family which has been her motivation to return to her time. Now that would really suck.
    Now there's that time travel related headache you were talking about. But yeah, it's either free will meaning anything they do is their own choosing and will affect the future in many ways. Or it is already written meaning everything that happens has already happened. But I think what this show is saying with the whole "good vs evil" is it's not black and white, but mostly grey and I think the truth about their affect on time is somewhere in the grey area as well. We really won't know until the end, but the show is so popular I doubt Season 3 will be the last.

Also, is it me or does Mr. Escher have his own agenda of corruption? He wants to keep his Sadler family legacy intact which would eventually mean Alec creates the technology that causes the police state of the future.