Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disposable diaper/ nappy- adult size

Post Disposable diaper/ nappy- adult size

I have noticed on one particular brand I use ( vlesi ) not every brand that in the wetness indicator is an expiry date ! ???? What in the world does an in intense aid need expiry date for? Is it going to go off?

CrinklySiren

probably because the sap or the gel or whatever it is that absorbs, maybe it gets old or stale and doesn't absorb as well, or maybe it doesnt absorb at all. Or perhaps it could have something to do with the humidity in air, maybe they've run tests and noticed that after a certain amount of time to air exposure, it stops being as effective.

I imagine that, since diapers absorb moisture, they will absorb some of the moisture in the air, potentially leading to bacterial and fungal growth. The adhesive in the tapes is also likely to deteriorate.

I think it's more of a "quality control" / legal precaution thing, i.e. don't sue us if you get an infection for wearing decade-old diapers you stored near a swamp... or try to return them because the tapes don't stick.

Just make sure that you don't eat diapers after their "use by" date. That would be seriously bad for you!

Probably due to some form of government stupid law or something. I know over here that even bloody tissue boxes have best before dates on them. Just don't worry about it, pretty sure diapers don't go off.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    probably because the sap or the gel or whatever it is that absorbs, maybe it gets old or stale and doesn't absorb as well, or maybe it doesnt absorb at all. Or perhaps it could have something to do with the humidity in air, maybe they've run tests and noticed that after a certain amount of time to air exposure, it stops being as effective.
    I think CrinklyEmilyLG has hit the nail on the head. From what I understand, the same is said about tampons too. I have seen a few videos on YouTube and when old diapers are reviewed from the 60's/70's, the tabs are usually brittle and plastic often dry or warped. They just deteriorate like clothing does with humidity and other atmospheric conditions at bay.

not entirely sure about the current crop of SAPs, but older dispies' Sap used to harden into small globules over time and with the 'breathing' of the SAP (as the SAP also gives out the moisture it's absorbed). in effect, it's just worn itself out naturally.
    also, many of the biodegradable plastics will degrade whilst in storage.
    and as mentioned, there's also the issue of fungi and bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post

Just make sure that you don't eat diapers after their "use by" date. That would be seriously bad for you!
    So THAT's why they have a diaper aisle up at the grocery store where I live. Hmmm....

On a more serious note, as someone who lost an entire pack of pretty expensive diapers back when I was a teenager to the remnants of a hurricane (they were the old Attends with the blue tapes)...I can say that air humidity and diapers do NOT mix well... :/

same reason cat litter expires , found a pack the other day . must be summit to do with the absorbency of the product

I've heard the "tinfoil hat" take on it and I wonder how much truth there is in it.

Look at foods, some say "use by", some say "best by" or "for best taste consume by" and it leaves you to wonder, just how long that can of beans really can last. I think unless you understand the product, you can't know whether or not to trust them. As a manufacturer, they'd prefer you to throw away usable product and buy another one. It's in their best interest. So the practice encourages them to be dishonest. Short term things like dairy and unsealed meats I tend to respect the date specified.

But on the other side of the fence... more than once I've consumed food past it's "best by" date. I opened a few cans of cheese ravioli that had been collecting dust in the back of the cupboard, they were about a year "out of code". Last time I checked, any can that isn't damaged and hasn't started swelling should be safe. Well I didn't get sick from them, but they did have a bad taste to them. Clearly the stuff inside had broken down enough to ruin the flavors. I might have thrown them away if I'd have known what they were going to taste like.

Looking at diapers, I can see a few things. #1: elastic is made of soft rubber. ever seen what happens to old rubber bands? they solidify and break or crumble when you try to stretch them. #2: adhesives. Many times I've ran into an old roll of masking tape that I couldn't get more than an inch off the roll at a time because it was sticking to the next turn. Other tapes I've seen just plain come unrolled because the adhesive had just stopped working. Sometimes a roll of tape's adhesive turns into soft bubblegum. Those are probably the big problems with aging diapers. The elastic is going to fail, and all the adhesives in the diaper are going to go wrong. Look at a diaper... think of all the different parts of it, all of that is glued together. You'll get leak guards that will separate from the inside. Tapes that may pull right off the wings. Or that you can't peel up. Or that don't stick or have even popped up on their own.

I think the SAP being fully absorbed up will be the least of your problems. Kept in their sealed bag, the sap isn't going to age. Whereas the elastics and adhesives will.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    Look at foods, some say "use by", some say "best by" or "for best taste consume by" and it leaves you to wonder, just how long that can of beans really can last.
    "Use by" means that you risk food poisoning if you eat the food after that date -- you get it on stuff like milk, fresh fruit juice, fish, meat, etc. "Best before" (and similar variations) just means that the taste will be impaired by that date, but should still be safe to eat for a long time -- things like crisps, canned beer, chocolate and so on.

It's amazing how long tinned food lasts -- well over 100 years in some cases: Shelf Life of Canned and Dry Foods by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy