Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "are you sad, depressed or feeling hopeless" - Obama Care

Default "are you sad, depressed or feeling hopeless" - Obama Care

I had my annual physical exam yesterday and the nurse told me they had to ask a question because of Obama Care. The question was "are you sad, depressed or feeling hopeless".

What's up with that?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me, wouldn't be much point having a physical if your mental state was ignored.

Astra

I'm sad, depressed, and feeling hopeless that it hasn't been repealed yet.

Sounds like a perfectly normal question to be asked on a physical to be honest.

I don't think the question has anything to do with Obamacare. I live in Canada and I've been asked the same question in several medical check-ups. It's sensible to consider the patient's mental health since depression and mental illness could be caused by physiological symptoms which can be treated early if known to the practitioner.

The outcome of asking these questions now could mean less money being spent on health care later.

CrinklySiren

Depression is a very common thing in society these days, it seems like a normal question to ask in terms of health and well-being... in fact its a good thing too because the more its shown that depression and anxiety are sicknesses the more plausible it is to be covered by your insurance... Dont underestimate the power your mind has over your body, you can make yourself sick simply from over-stressing yourself, you also have the ability to cure yourself of something but because its not common practice to self-cure, people feel like its not possible... but just as its possible to make yourself physically sick with feelings of depression or anxiety or stress, its also possible to cure yourself too (im not too familiar on the curing part because as I said, its not common practice among humans to be "positive")

Quote Originally Posted by Astra View Post
    I'm sad, depressed, and feeling hopeless that it hasn't been repealed yet.
    This

That's an interesting question, but what about other mental disorders besides depression? Anxiety is a thing. Bipolar people are quite the opposite of sad depressed and hopeless while they're manic!

Isn't that kind of like your MD asking something like, "Does your stomach hurt? No? Okay get on out of here! We're done!"

I'm glad about one thing with ObamaCare. I couldn't buy mental health insurance until now. Everyone had a year or longer waiting list for buying mental health insurance, with your own money out of pocket even. Now, according to documents I just got, it does cost more a month, but they have to give me mental health insurance.

If I was asked that question by my doctor I would lie . purgury be damned. I would not want to be labeled unstable, that could limit you career opportunities in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by babyboy View Post
    If I was asked that question by my doctor I would lie . purgury be damned. I would not want to be labeled unstable, that could limit you career opportunities in the future.
    You do realise that one in four people will suffer some kind of mental illness in their lifetime and with such a high probability, you may at least have a loved one suffer the stigma of being labelled 'unstable'. Maybe then you wouldn't feel so inclined to describe people in that way.