Thread: Salvete, Hello, Hola

Default Salvete, Hello, Hola

Hello, everyone. I'm an American living in Spain. I just graduated from uni, and I did my last year of uni in Andalusia (the south of Spain). Now I live in Madrid and work as a teacher.

I spend most of my free time writing and reading—I'm a bit of an introvert in a party-hard extroverted country. I'm into poetry, especially writing philosophic and quasi-mystic poetry, usually with a fixed meter and rhyme scheme, which, yes, I know is rather an obscure hobby! I actually find a lot of inspiration from various forms of art, including the more relaxed meters and rhymes of pop music—also video games 'cause, well, video games are my guilty pleasure and certainly a valid art form too!

I joined primarily because I have tried to get my foot in the door with this community before, but have always found that the people were uninteresting or the sights were just about posting pictures, videos, and harassing women. I won't say that I don't sometimes enjoy non PG-13 pictures (hey, I am human, after all!) but that's not an incentive to join these cummunities—er, communities. Anyway, I was looking for something different and I think I've found it. I look forward to meeting people and having great conversations!

I think I followed the posting rules … sorry if I've overlooked something. Vobis gratias ago!

Salve.
    I think you've made a good choice, ADISC is more about being a community with niche interests in common than placing the interests front and center. I have to ask, which video games do you play?

I mainly play games that have some compelling narrative, though not always. For example, Grand Theft Auto can be fun enough that the gameplay keeps me entertained (and there's actually more narrative there than most players would suspect); the same goes for Assassin's Creed—mediocre story, but damn-fun to play.

My personal favorites are the older Final Fantasies, the Mass Effect series, the Metal Gear Solid series, Uncharted, Ni No Kuni was a recent good one, Persona … I gravitate towards r.p.g.s but there are plenty of games I've played and loved that aren't. Sports games are somewhat lost on me. I am by no means questioning their value, even their artistic value, but it's not really my thing. I've tended to be a PlayStation fan because I like their exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Salve.
    I think you've made a good choice, ADISC is more about being a community with niche interests in common than placing the interests front and center. I have to ask, which video games do you play?

I'm into poetry, especially writing philosophic and quasi-mystic poetry, usually with a fixed meter and rhyme scheme, which, yes, I know is rather an obscure hobby
    Heh, and there was me deliberately misquoting Milton , not 5 Minutes ago. (They also serve , who only stay and read.)

The actual text of his sonnet,

On His Blindness
    reads

WHEN I consider how my light is spent
    E're half my days, in this dark world and wide,
    And that one Talent which is death to hide,
    Lodg'd with me useless, though my Soul more bent
    To serve therewith my Maker, and present
    My true account, lest he returning chide,
    Doth God exact day-labour, light deny'd,
    I fondly ask; But patience to prevent
    That murmur, soon replies, God doth not need
    Either man's work or his own gifts, who best
    Bear his milde yoak, they serve him best, his State
    Is Kingly. Thousands at his bidding speed
    And post o're Land and Ocean without rest:
    They also serve who only stand and waite.

It appears Raccoon posts o're Land and Ocean without rest: also. I might add,

They also surf who only stand on waves.
    Hey. as to "rather obscure hobbies" well... you know what we all get up to in the privacy of our own pants. Glad to have you aboard

Not sure that's so much obscure and obscured, Raccoon
    Oy, after me heart, you are; knows enough Latin to use the plural imperative and lists off a number of favorite games . . . although I also play a stupid number of FPS me ownself (on a Halo 4 kick right now)

It's interesting, Raccoon, I've really, really tried to get into Milton—and granted I haven't read Paradise Lost, so I feel I can't really judge—but I have a hard time liking his sonnets. I know that for the longest time he was considered the one who perfected the form in English, but his long, Italian rhyme schemes just don't feel right in a language where rhyme's are not as abundant. He make sit work but with a sort of artificial flavor to 'em. But, that's just me. There are plenty of very educated people who would disagree.

And Traemo, always happy to help with the games. (And shh...it's been three years since I've actually studied Latin. Between you and me, it's still good but there's way too much I don't remember!)