Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Cig a DLs pacifier?

Default E-Cig a DLs pacifier?

Hi guys.

I have a confession to make.
    I was a 2 pack a day smoker and smoked for 14 years until a week ago when discovered the E-Cigarette.

I have been off real tobacco for a week and i feel great!

I do feel that i traded one addiction for another, but i actually prefer this to smoking as there are sooo many different flavors and it actually tastes great.
    Vanilla, berry, menthol and hundreds of flavours i will eventually wean myself off the teat of nicotine because its so tasty!

I can smell better, food tastes better and i love this hobby.

I have read about the potential they could hold for harm but i have read the evidence and it does seem they are healthier then the real thing in the short term, along with my improved health.

I buy good E-juice nothing that contains the harmful formaldehyde or anti-freeze that may Chinese brands contain.

For now, i would say my health has improved 10 fold.

Im actually jogging now, when before i would not even attempt it, even though im still coughing from the years of tobbacco build up.

Im just worried that im too in love with vaping because it is so much nicer then smoking because there is a hobby aspect to it and it is a stress reliever
    Vaping in SA can be done everywhere so im not isolated as i was when i did the stinkie cigs.

I may not be an AB but this feels like a sort of pacifier for me!

Anybody else E-CIG?

Has it been life changing like its been for me?

Well done on quitting cigarettes. I've seen a lot of people trying to quit these days, and for some of them its quite hard.

Personally, never started smoking and never will. I've always been taught its a waste of money and health.

Yeah! Me too. I started E-Cigs on 10/23/12 and so I'm almost at my one year anniversary of being tobacco free!! The E-Cig saved my life, I think. I couldn't do anything to quit until I tried that. First time I tried E-Cigs I knew I'd be able to finally quit smoking all the tar-filled ones at last. Now that it's been about a year, I've settled into a very cost effective routine. I just have a Vamo, batteries, still use vivi novas w/ replaceable heads, and I only vape Thug Juice from MBV. I used to spend a lot more on various juices but I realized that the juices aren't all they're hyped up to be usually and I needed to be smarter about costs. So now 'smoking' only costs approximately $20 a month. (Compared to about 120 a month, it's a huge deal to me.)

Since it's been a year I've noticed lots of health benefits. It basically feels like, in my lungs and breathing, being a nonsmoker, except when I forget to drink enough water and get a scratchy throat from the PG in the juice. (I do 50/50 with 11ml nicotine myself) Some water clears it right up in no time. My sense of taste and smell is back, for good and for bad. Also, I moved back in with my mom who smokes MY OLD BRAND right in front of me, and thanks to E-Cigs I haven't even touched hers - not even during acute moments of stress that I faced this year, like a surprise divorce. I still have dreams on occasion where I'm smoking, but when I wake up I don't care to bother with it.

You're right, the benefit of not smelling like cigarettes alone is a huge plus. Also it's really great to not have to worry about when you can step outside for a smoke break. You can go places and not freak out about timing (how LONG is that movie!? Three HOURS? Never mind!!!). After a while, a couple months maybe, you will go like a few hours without even vaping because I've noticed you get less nicotine dependent. They say it's super easy to quit E-Cigs themselves when you are ready to make the next step. I'm not ready yet, but it's only been a year and I'm living with a current heavy smoker, so I don't mind giving myself a bit more time. And nicotine itself doesn't do too many bad things and supposedly doesn't cause cancer. But I do plan to quit E-Cigs maybe around or before 2015. Geez that sounds like the distant future.

Vape on!! The hobby and collecting part costs a lot in the beginning, but that'll settle down when you find stuff you really like. Well, for most people. If you have the money, why not? At least you're doing your health a big huge favor. Might as well have a blast while saving some years of your life.

Uhm. Your statement about it not containing anti-freeze is unclear. Most E-Liquid uses Propylene Glycol, the key component of anti-freeze. There are some that use exclusively Vegetable Glycerin, but it's a very viscous liquid, and will burn out your clearomizers much faster.

Glad to hear someone else likes them, though. Shame that they're not more widely available in some places. (Canada really has one or two reliable places)

That's true, they use it in anti-freeze in order to make it non-toxic. So if your dog laps it up, it won't die. Thanks, propylene glycol! It's also used in many food products for both humans and animals, cosmetics, asthma inhalers other stuff. FDA declared it safe for human consumption. I prefer a mix of VG and PG because pure VG juice tastes weird to me and is too thick to properly wick on my clearos.

acorn

Have been trying to quit with e-cigs, on and off. I do find them useful in no smoking areas, even as yet. Funny though the local hospital seems to regard them on the same level as ordinary cigarettes. In confined spaces I’d agree with them on this, but right across the board? I'd suggest their days are numbered. It would seem that the jury have found them guilty and we are only awaiting the judge to pass sentence.

E-Cig a DLs pacifier?

Why ??? Cigarete has three kinds of addict: fysical (efects of nicotine,) psychological (answer of brain) and - the worst one - pacifier mecanism. I smoke and using normal paci. But my normal paci I can use only sometimes in private.

But I think paci isn't the same like cigarrete. It not switches off.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverr View Post
    Well done on quitting cigarettes. I've seen a lot of people trying to quit these days, and for some of them its quite hard.

Personally, never started smoking and never will. I've always been taught its a waste of money and health.
    Hey thanks Silverr.

It is incredibly difficult to quit smoking, esecially if your entire family smokes.
    My dad is a chain smoker!

@Frogsy i know what is like buddy!

My father and i work together and he chain smokes my brand of 'analgue' cig in the confines of the car!
    I still love the smell although more as i remembered as a smoker cause it stinks now!)
    E-ciggies taste great.

As for the movie thing i too can relate, i often smoked in the car during the commecial breaks so i can keep it together for the 2 hour or more(heaven forbid!), movie.

@Eulogy, you are right, what i meant to say was 'Diacetyl', those buttery flavour in the E-liquids.

I re-educted myself on the chemical make up of E-liquids only 2 days ago and say the study where the FDA approved Propylene Glycol as safe as its used in food additives etc.

Im too cheap to waste my cartomizers on veggie glycerine lol!

@Acorn true that, however our country is so slow it will take years for that to happen.

@Crazy Smoker, its metaphorical as i compare E-cigging to a pacifier, because it relaxes me, even using vapours without nicotine in the evenings.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats your favorite flavours guys?
    Im trying to find a less sweet vapour to be a realistic vape with my coffee.

I hope some of you see this post and realise that you've introduced a whole new choice to someone who's wanted to give up smoking but had no idea that this even existed. Pretty much the only stuff I knew about were the cheap things that are made to look like cigarettes and are sold in chemists.

It appears I have an awful lot to learn before I jump in to getting my own kit so if you have any tips or warnings then I'd love to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Strontium View Post
    I hope some of you see this post and realise that you've introduced a whole new choice to someone who's wanted to give up smoking but had no idea that this even existed. Pretty much the only stuff I knew about were the cheap things that are made to look like cigarettes and are sold in chemists.

It appears I have an awful lot to learn before I jump in to getting my own kit so if you have any tips or warnings then I'd love to hear them.
    I would have had more success to this, had I not lost one of two rechargeable batteries...I think I had been on the e-cigs for a month, with almost no 'real' cigarettes in that time...

Loosing the battery, and not having the funds (bought the kit on a big mark-down) to replace it ...because I need at least two batteries to sustain; interrupted my attempts to be completely cigarette free...

I was feeling better on the e-cigs... it's different, but experimenting with different brands, and looking at the reviews...you can find what feels right to you...and though there is nicotine (unless you get the non-nicotine kind)...it's still several chemicals (and particulates/tar) LESS, than traditional cigarettes...

Best of luck for anyone trying to quit the traditional tobacco...

-Marka