Thread: any Overclockers Here?

Default any Overclockers Here?

i just recently decided to OC my AMD FX-8350 4.0 CPU and im curious about a few things. so far the configs i have tried were OC to 4.4GHZ (currently running well) ive also tried 4.6 and 4.8, now i didnt keep it on 4.8 for very long as it generated more heat at load than my Corsair H50 Bolt on Liquid cooler can disperse properly. now i also tried 4.6 and the heat was manageable both idle and loaded, but it had an issue where the computer would just randomly lock up. Ctrl +alt+del wouldnt work nothing i had to flip the PSU switch to reset it. any ideas on what would cause this and how to fix it. could it be that the CPU is not getting enough Power to run that fast, my MOBO has voltage Capped at 1.4V but i can change it manually i just don't know if i should.

If you're having no idea about what you're doing basically -> read some guides.

As far as I understand from your PC setup thread you got this board? - Asus Crosshair Formula Z that's a basic guide for OC for this board.

Basically you simply have to set the LLC (load line calibration) to ultra and every voltage to manual. It's a bit strange that you got an 1.4 volt cap. I guess something is still disabled.
    But anyway it's kind of easy today compared to the old days. You simply have to increase your multi and the voltage. But I wouldn't advice to go above 1.5v with and amd and only because your cpu is water cooled.

Still, always check the temps. 70-75C at full load while it's highly oc'ed is okay, since the cpu will barely run at 50% normally.
    However, amd is kind of power hungry and overclocked you will need a lot of power, which your transistor's may not like that much over time, nor the cpu itself. And as far as I understood you want to keep that PC for some years? In this case I'd go for max 1.4v.

In the end it the outcome depends on your cpu, some run fine with barely any voltage increase at 4.5ghz, some need 1.4x volt. I'd advice to go for the sweet spot instead of going for a set number.
    Either way go back to 4.5ghz, which is still a lot and drop the core voltage 0,1v-0,25v and test if it's prime stable, if it is, drop it lower until your pc freezes or crashes and revert to the last stable voltage. You can try this with every voltage until your find your cpu's sweet spot, so best oc with the least amount of voltage increase.
    Besides that the c1e and c states/cool n quiet decrease the overclock ability. But use at least one.

Another idea which is kind of popular is the turbo mode OC. But as far as I know for AMD's this only works with some software (should be included with your motherboard software). So you still run at a 3.8 ghz base clock, which drops down while idleing, but if you need some power the turbo will boost to your set amount, probably 4.3 - 4.6 ghz.

Take your time, don't rush things and good luck of course. For most it's more of a sport, since you won't see that much of an increase from 500mhz. Okay, at 4.5+ is the responsivness simply incredible of course, but gives you only around 1-20% more fps (depends on the game and your graphics) as for the rest... the fx8350 and similar cpu's are fast as hell stock.

As a side note: Ram OC is useless, before you think about it. Depends solely on the software, some programs like lower timings - i.e. 1333 with 7-7-7-21 and some high speeds like 2133 with cl11, but it's in a 2% range.

its capped at 1.4 because thats what i set it to the ASUS ROG 4.8 guide recomended 1.5 bu8t it showed up highlighted red in bios so i jumped down to 1.4 and capped it. i think i may have found an issue though the LLC was set to normal, i bumped it to ultra and i have not had an issue yet.

Read more, or get a MoBo with easy OC tools.

My suggestion though? Build a PC to last a couple years. Investing heavily in top-tier tech isn't advisable if you're trying to save cash and be able to play most games. AMD is desirable, as you can assemble a full rig for ~$400, provided you have a drive and a case.

Might I ask, why are you trying to overclock? With 8 cores, any game that supports multi-threading well enough should have no issue on the CPU end. (Most games don't anyhow, it's usually an issue of video cards/RAM shortage, with 16Gb being the low end for a gaming PC nowadays) Sure, everyone likes to sound like a techy and say they've overclocked a rig by 25%, but that really is Intel's game now. (Hell, some people have reportedly pushed second gen I7s to 180% base clock, with proper cooling)

I profit from the fact that the Core2 were extremely well overclockable processors since stock clock would be too slow for some single threaded stuff right now, but I'd rather not. Especially on new hardware it's pure waste, since it won't make any noticeable difference if you don't keep one eye on benchmark and fps results but still eats energy and stresses your hardware.

Eulogy: multithreading is horribly hard to do. Most stuff will still rely on single core speed to be fast.
    And new Intel Haswells suck for OC. Their thermal design is bad and the K-line of processors is not feature complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawuko View Post
    Eulogy: multithreading is horribly hard to do. Most stuff will still rely on single core speed to be fast.
    AMD put eight-core CPU's into the PS4 and Xbox One. Though I wont be surprised if some of those cores are left for the system OS to always run in background and only 3-4 are used for games if that.

It'll take time but games will hopefully support more cores, physical ones or virtual hyper-threaded voodoo shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawuko View Post
    And new Intel Haswells suck for OC. Their thermal design is bad and the K-line of processors is not feature complete.
    Current Haswell chips are still going to OC at a better rate than most AMD chips, as they still run substantially cooler than AMD's stuff. It's a matter of being about to double base clock, or only increase by 50%.

I never said multithreading was easy, but any game worth investing money in as of late will try and utilize it. We've had multi-core processors for years, it's about time that the gaming industry steps up to the plate and delivers quality multi-threading. Hell, WoW does it, albeit half-assed, with 50-60% of the processing still going to primary core, 30% going to another and the rest split up between any other free ones. Symmetrical multi-threading would be ideal, but I doubt that will happen in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    AMD put eight-core CPU's into the PS4 and Xbox One. Though I wont be surprised if some of those cores are left for the system OS to always run in background and only 3-4 are used for games if that.

It'll take time but games will hopefully support more cores, physical ones or virtual hyper-threaded voodoo shit.
    thats one reason i went for the AMD FX 8350 8 core. if the mainstream consoles have 8 cores its possible that games will in the future be able to run on min. of 4 cores up to 6 cores max, leaving two dedicated for OS, but the only intel processor with 6 cores is like $1100 after tax and the AMD 8 core is only $200 and has faster stock clock speeds. i mean im OC just to toy with it and see what it can do, stock its already plenty fast enough for anything i can throw at it. but as far as future gaming goes i forsee the Dual Core going Obsolete aside from the Hyper-threading Dual Cores in the i series Processors, but even still i think they will be Bare minimum at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
    (Hell, some people have reportedly pushed second gen I7s to 180% base clock, with proper cooling)
    the highest ive seen one of AMD's FX 8350's go is 8.79GHZ off the Same MOBO i have in my rig. i personally don't ever need to go that high but it is possible

here the link:

http://rog.asus.com/195782013/overcl...test-ever-cpu/