Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question About Collars

Default Question About Collars

I have been interested maybe getting a collar for a while now and I had a question. How do you figure out what size fits you?

You can get a flexible tape-measure that tailors and whatnot use [like this], and just measure the circumference of your neck. If you have a ruler, you could also find something else (like a length of string) and wrap that around your neck, then use the ruler to figure out the length. Just make sure it's rather taught, and level (without choking yourself). Most collars will have multiple snaps/holes so you can adjust the length a bit, like for me, my neck is 13.5", and I got a collar made for that size, but it feels more comfortable to wear it on the last snap (14.25").

I have been thinking about getting a collar as well. I might get it around the same time when my tail comes in from being commisioned.

I've been thinking of getting a collar as well and hopefully I can get mine soon just gotta figure out the proper size lol

I simply made mine from an old leather belt and added some spikes, a D-ring, and a fleece lining.....

Like the others are saying, a simple neck measurement will do. While I measured mine, the cheap collar I bought didn't have a size on it, so I had to take it off of the packaging and quickly wrap it loosely around my neck while no one was looking in the store. When I actually wore it at home I discovered it's too big, but I still like it. It's actually a rather comforting feeling to me, and last night I accidentally fell asleep with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox View Post
    You can get a flexible tape-measure that tailors and whatnot use [like this], and just measure the circumference of your neck. If you have a ruler, you could also find something else (like a length of string) and wrap that around your neck, then use the ruler to figure out the length. Just make sure it's rather taught, and level (without choking yourself). Most collars will have multiple snaps/holes so you can adjust the length a bit, like for me, my neck is 13.5", and I got a collar made for that size, but it feels more comfortable to wear it on the last snap (14.25").
    I used a tape-measure and measured the circumference of my neck. My neck seems to be around 16".

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBaby View Post
    I used a tape-measure and measured the circumference of my neck. My neck seems to be around 16".
    If you go custom, you should be able to order an exact size, but at least you have an idea now for small/medium/large (since they usually give you a range). I'd recommend if you're on the end of a range (like if medium is 14-16"), to go up a size, but that might just be my preference (I don't like mine tight!). For the record, I got [mine] custom made from Collar Factory; it was a bit pricey ($36), but I love it, and it's leather so it should last a while. :3

I got my mini kitty collar from pawstar and I love it. I didn't buy online I got it at a convention. I love it, its leather and cute they tend to also have rather dark collars too. I recommend at least looking, they aren't too expensive.

I originally wanted to get one from Lagarto at FCN this year, but the one I wanted was $60 at his booth but the exact same one was $40 if I ordered online (not including shipping)
    since i couldnt afford it, I made my own for free, minus $6 for the spikes which i bought at hot Topic. Everything else was made from stuff I had lying around the house. I wonder how many other furries have Italian leather collars with spikes and a zebra print fleece lining?