Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome Help

Exclamation Google Chrome Help

OK, now I'm not computer savvy at all but have tried to figure this out on my own looking over the Google Chrome settings. When I, or anyone else in my family (which is the problem) happens to look something up with the Google Chrome browser on the computer I usually use for ADISC and other sites, the homepage displays boxes depicting pages from all those sites for anyone to see for easier access. I had a situation today where my daughter had to use this computer and I was very nervous about her checking what the "ADISC" page was out of curiosity. How do I keep ADISC from showing up on there...EVER? Don't need a browser telling everyone what site I frequent. Thanks!

~Pramrider

After you erase your history since the beginning of time, from then on you just have to open up ADISC in the incognito window by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + N (Or APPLE + SHIFT + N). I do not think there is a way currently to ban sites from appearing in the most-visited, but anything you view in incognito mode will never appear in most visited, or leave traces you were there on your browser or computer. In the New Tab, click on APPS (bottom-middle of page) and from then on it will open APPS first leaving 'most visited' hidden (until clicked.) Also, you can go to chrome://settings/ (Click the three lines on the far right and then Settings, or type CTRL/Apple + , ) and then under "On Startup" say "Open a specific page or set of pages" and type in whatever pages you want. Like just, Google for example. Then it makes people less likely to see your recently visited so prominently, but it's still there, so use incognito mode for diaper forums...
    Last edited by Frogsy; 07-Oct-2013 at 00:14. Reason: Details.

Well, if you switch to firefox, the superior browser, it still has that feature. but you can turn it off easily in a blank page by clicking the grid in the upper right. I don't know about Chrome, because I don't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceltot View Post
    Well, if you switch to firefox, the superior browser, it still has that feature. but you can turn it off easily in a blank page by clicking the grid in the upper right. I don't know about Chrome, because I don't care for it.
    YUP Firefox all the way. chrome is too buggy and CTD every 3-4 min on my machine, though its still better than Interweb Exploder (internet explorer) which goes Full retard and dies at start up. fire fox and that god forsaken safari are the only two browsers that will run on my pc

Yep, I use Firefox while on ADISC. However, I use Chrome for some other places, and yeah, I delete history from the beginning of time. I'd hate for my computer to break and have to have someone fix it, only to see..."too much". I would have to "delete them"....ahem.

Great advice, Frogsy! Thank you very much! I'm incognito now. I actually thought you were joking about deleting history "since the beginning of time", but then saw that was an actual selection. Must have had quite a bit of history because it took a few moments to delete it all.

I'll have to leave the browsers alone for now since this is actually my son's computer and he set it up. My old box died and he replaced his older one (this one) with a more powerful model to support his gaming, so I inherited his old model which is a pretty good one still. I do also have IE for an alternate browser to use on it, so if I don't use the incognito method on Chrome, I'll use IE instead. We do have Firefox on our office computers which works pretty good. Nice to have my secret site be secret again.

~Pramrider

Incognito is the best way.

To all those saying use Firefox, he wasn't asking for opinions.

P.S.: Even if he was, he probably has a computer with adequate processing power and a decent connection, thus Chrome works flawlessly, as intended. (It's a resource whore, but if you can afford some extra memory usage, it really does run faster than anything else)

PaddedPuppy

You know that Chrome supports multiple users? You can go to Options>Settings>Users and then create user accounts (or use Google accounts) then each user's browsing history is kept in a separate account, and if you are using a Google account it can be password protected.

Once thats done, you get a user switch button at the top left corner. People just select their user ID and get to use the browser.

In my opinion, its better than going incognito or deleting your browsing history all the time. It means once you log in to your browser account, all of your history and logins are stored, meaning you don't have to login to each website every time.

---

Hmm, I just thought, why not make it even simpler than that and just make separate Windows PC user accounts? That keeps EVERYTHING separate, not just the browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
    Incognito is the best way.

To all those saying use Firefox, he wasn't asking for opinions.

P.S.: Even if he was, he probably has a computer with adequate processing power and a decent connection, thus Chrome works flawlessly, as intended. (It's a resource whore, but if you can afford some extra memory usage, it really does run faster than anything else)

100% guarentee my computer has more raw processing power than his. unless he has an overclocked i7 with over 16GB ram and atleast a T1 connection he cant match mine in power and mine still CTD chrome every time. i have never been able to use anything other than firefox since vista launched and IE was remade

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    100% guarentee my computer has more raw processing power than his. unless he has an overclocked i7 with over 16GB ram and atleast a T1 connection he cant match mine in power and mine still CTD chrome every time. i have never been able to use anything other than firefox since vista launched and IE was remade
    LOL...now you're sounding like my son. He's the computer guru around our house. Fortunately for me he still lives at home and helps when I have problems, since I'm just the opposite when it comes to computers. He talks about being able to overclock on his gaming computer. Have no idea exactly what he has but it's all housed in a BIG box and he custom built it for the gaming power he wanted. We don't have T1 available here, however, which is a bit of a drawback. The T1 line ends about a mile down the road. We're fortunate to have regular cable and even had to have that extended 1/4 mile down the road in order to reach our house.

~Pramrider