Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: oldest age to start potty training

Default oldest age to start potty training

Just a general poll what's the latest age you've heard that a person started potty training. The oldest I've heard of was my neighbor and she didn't start until she was eight but she wore diapers to school until she was 10.

Does your neighbor have any mental issues? Why was she in diapers until 10?

like, wow 8 is way too old for potty training, do that during infant years.

I was real young at the time so I'm not entirely sure. I think it was her parents being too "loose" for lack of a better word she never wnated to be potty trained so they never made her. Never saw a diaper on her myself, but I know she had some in her dresser and she constantly asked if I wanted to borrow one of her diapers whenever we hung out so I'm putting two and two together here.

Well i would say the latest age for potty training would have to be 3 years old but all children learn at their own pace and more important when there ready to go potty. I remember taking my little niece swimming and there was a little boy there about 6 years old and he was wearing a swimming nappy i thought he's way to old to be wearing nappies but then he might of had a medical problem and needed them so keep that in mind. Leo

Quote Originally Posted by blablafreckenlover View Post
    I was real young at the time so I'm not entirely sure. I think it was her parents being too "loose" for lack of a better word she never wnated to be potty trained so they never made her. Never saw a diaper on her myself, but I know she had some in her dresser and she constantly asked if I wanted to borrow one of her diapers whenever we hung out so I'm putting two and two together here.
    I'm trying to figure out what I would have done if I was like 8 years old and had a friend who offered me a diaper. At that age I did have the fetish, but not really a desire to wear, so it probably would have been a rather awkward situation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what I would have done if I was like 8 years old and had a friend who offered me a diaper. At that age I did have the fetish, but not really a desire to wear, so it probably would have been a rather awkward situation for me.
    I got used to it after a while she was just being polite, in her weird kind of way.

The latest age that I know of for certain within my own extended family was 4-5 years old. I had a cousin that word pull ups (although he used them as diapers, more or less) up until just last year.

While I was lifeguarding for three seasons tho, I saw TONS of older kids clearly wearing little swimmers. We had one kid that was a regular to the pool that was in swim diapers until at least last season when I quit working there. He had to have been at least 8 years old at the time, and I know from talking to his mom that he had no sort of mental/developmental issues.

Of course, there's a difference between resisting potty training, and being either incontinent, having accidents. For the longest time, children couldn't start Kindergarten until they were potty trained, and there were always a few, struggling to get there. Children usually have to be five and a half (approx.) to start public school, so that gives some data as to children who are late to potty train. Most accomplish it by three, and girls may be more likely at the age of two.

I heard a kid was not potty trained until he was in second grade and I don't think he had any medical issues or a disability. The speech therapist just told me some kids are just not ready and are potty trained later than others implying he had nothing wrong with him when I asked why he was potty trained so late.

I was told social services come and charge you for child neglect if they are not potty trained so how on earth do normal kids stay in diapers past age three without social services being called? Unless the parents have been to doctors because they can't get their child to train or to quit having accidents, then that is different. Then it shows the parents have tried potty training and the child doesn't want to quit and I am talking about normal kids without any medical issues or any disabilities. My ex boyfriend's ex girlfriend's daughter was never out of diapers and they had tried for years trying to potty train her and get her to quit and then they gave up after being informed by a doctor, "Now that she has started her period, she will never stop" and doctors have speculated drugs the mother did while she was pregnant affected her daughter into not wanting to quit wearing diapers. She also had learning issues too.

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I was told social services come and charge you for child neglect if they are not potty trained
    I've heard the same thing. How could a mentally normal kid not be potty trained at age ten? It would cause a scandal.

Sorry but I find the OP impossible to believe.