Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S Government shutdown

Default U.S Government shutdown

So the U.S government has shutdown over a petty dispute between republicans and democrats over a national healthcare system. If the government remains closed past the 17th then the U.S defaults on it's debts. What is your opinons? Honest opinions Hopefully there will be a RATIONAL discussion.

Actually, it has little to do with Obamacare. The republicans refused to set down for the budget conference committee months ago and on their list of non-negotiable demands didn't even mention Obamacare. In fact, they chose this topic solely because they new the dems and the white house wouldn't cave on it.

You're WRONG about the debt limit. It's an unrelated issue from the budget problems. Congress could easily raise the debt limit without addressing the budget issue. One is not a precursor to the other. As unpleasant as the lack of a CR is at this point, screwing up the debt limit even by a few days will be disasterous for the US and other world economies.

What the clowns need to do is raise the debt limit, pass a short term continuing resolution, and sit down and DO WHAT THEY WERE FUCKING SUPPOSED TO BE DOING MONTHS AGO and fight over and pass the budget.

I will drink to that and dose that apply to our nuts factory's and I am thinking of the ones here in Quebec.

CrinklySiren

Honestly, the whole thing is just ridiculous... I hope this makes people open their eyes at how much a joke our government has become.. Bunch of angry old men acting like spoiled brats. Im not choosing sides here, i think the whole thing is one big waste of time and it is, as you said, quite petty.

Don't even get me started on Obamacare lol the point is that this whole thing was a failed attempt at stopping it and a successful attempt of delaying it.. all they did was press pause on a predictable movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklyEmilyLG View Post
    Don't even get me started on Obamacare lol the point is that this whole thing was a failed attempt at stopping it and a successful attempt of delaying it.. all they did was press pause on a predictable movie.
    No, it hadn't a prayer of stopping it and it's not delaying it one bit. The exchanges are up and running now.

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    No, it hadn't a prayer of stopping it and it's not delaying it one bit. The exchanges are up and running now.
    Precisely why i think the shut down is ridiculous lol if this shut down is about obamacare then its a silly shutdown because obamacare is ALREADY in effect. Correct me if I'm wrong though, i do believe i read somewhere that the shutdown prevents any new life-insurance policy holders to be in effect until it is lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmec View Post
    If the government remains closed past the 17th then the U.S defaults on it's debts.
    No, that's if congress/senate don't raise the debt limit to let the president keep borrowing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    No, that's if congress/senate don't raise the debt limit to let the president keep borrowing money.

The President does not borrow the money. The Branch of government responsible for paying the bills is the House. It is their job to come up with a budget, which there has not been one in ten years,send it the Senate and on to the President.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    The President does not borrow the money. The Branch of government responsible for paying the bills is the House. It is their job to come up with a budget, which there has not been one in ten years,send it the Senate and on to the President.
    take it up with CPGGrey?

There has been no budget approved since Obama's been in office. Every prior administration has done better than that regardless of crises or opposition. Doesn't that alone tell you he's doing something wrong?

On top of that, he's usually late even submitting to Congress. You can make excuses all day long for the Community Organizer in Chief, but this one is all on him. If he were a private sector CEO, he'd have been called before the Board and sacked a long time ago.