Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is abri-form M4 X plus discontinued in the UK?

Default Is abri-form M4 X plus discontinued in the UK?

Hi there,

I bought what I thought were abri-form X Plus from a seller on eBay.co.uk, however what I got was Air Plus.

I wasn't very happy, as I wanted the plastic backed X Plus. I contacted the seller about this, and he basically said that X Plus had been discontinued in the Uk; is this true?

He also said that the description just refers to the size M4, and not the style, here's the listing: Abena Abri Form Adult Nappy Premium Medium X/Plus M4 Diapers per14 Heavy Use | eBay

Also, here's his reply;

'Good Afternoon, I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your recent purchase but please note that the product that you have received is the one described. The Medium x/plus (M4) refers to the grade of the item not to the material it is made from. The first line of this item's description states the following: Abena Abri Form Premium (also known as Air Plus) All in One (Adult Nappy) Medium X/Plus (M4) per pack of 14. Please note that Abena UK no longer sell the plastic backed M4. We are of course happy to accept these back for a refund. Kind Regards, xxxx
    Last edited by CaptainDiper; 04-Oct-2013 at 14:37.

Yep -- the plastic-backed ones officially went out of production about a year ago. The new Abri-Form range is fake-cloth-backed, and the "Air Plus" or "Premium" range advertised by that eBay seller are a new range, very similar to the Abri-Form, but with a breathable fake-cloth-backsheet and extra elastic in the tapes.

Although Abena claimed to have completely stopped producing the plastic-backed version, a US company managed to convince Abena to continue supplying them (in M4/L4 sizes), and in the last few months I've noticed a few European retailers (no UK ones, unfortunately) selling the plastic-backed version. Save Express (aka Airoliver) is one such company: Save Express GmbH

I don't know if xpmedical was the company that convinced them to keep the 4's rolling, but I do recall reading they bought out basically all of abena's plastics that they had discontinued. So right now, xpmedical may be the only source for them. (until they run out, they claimed to have about a year's supply, and that was around july iirc)

The plastic backed are just the regular name. The clothlike have "premium" in their name and on the package in big letters. If your vendor sold them without calling them "clothlike" or "premium", that's their fault for mis-advertisement. Just because a supplier runs out of something or changes to a different product, doesn't make it OK for a vendor to not bother to update their storefront to inform the customers of the change in product. Telling a customer "it's your fault for not knowing our product changed" is total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    I don't know if xpmedical was the company that convinced them to keep the 4's rolling, but I do recall reading they bought out basically all of abena's plastics that they had discontinued. So right now, xpmedical may be the only source for them. (until they run out, they claimed to have about a year's supply, and that was around july iirc)
    IIRC, XP Medical bought up all the M3s which are no longer being produced, and they somehow convinced Abena to keep making the M4s. They're probably the only company (or one of the very few) who have plastic-backed M3s available, but I've seen plastic-backed M4s for sale in a few places online, and recently a few in Europe too.

The plastic backed are just the regular name. The clothlike have "premium" in their name and on the package in big letters.
    As I said, it's not just the Premium ones that have a clothlike backsheet. The current Abri-Form range are also fake-cloth-backed now too. Only the old Abri-Forms are plastic-backed.

If your vendor sold them without calling them "clothlike" or "premium", that's their fault for mis-advertisement. Just because a supplier runs out of something or changes to a different product, doesn't make it OK for a vendor to not bother to update their storefront to inform the customers of the change in product. Telling a customer "it's your fault for not knowing our product changed" is total BS.
    They referred to them as "Abena Abri Form Premium (also known as Air Plus)" and in the description it says, "Non-woven sidepanels made from soft and breathable material, which provide a high level of security and holds the pad in place."

I think the vendor described them accurately.

Cheap Chux still has plastic L4's for sale (just got a case).

The same seller also has a listing described with the words air plus in the title!? imo it's confusing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abena-Abri...p2054897.l4275

tbh, I'll prob just keep these and chalk it up as a lesson, though I don't really like them...

Does anybody have a recommendation for a close alternative, maybe even something that's cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    Cheap Chux still has plastic L4's for sale (just got a case).
    The only 4's I see are M3 and air L4's. maybe they've run out?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDiper View Post
    The same seller also has a listing described with the words air plus in the title!? imo it's confusing. Abena Abri Form Air Plus Premium Adult Nappy X/Large X-Plus XL4 per 12 Diapers | eBay
    Generally the plastic-backed Abenas are a rarity, so it's probably best to assume that they're cloth-backed unless it explicitly says otherwise. AirPlus and Premium mean the same thing (in Abenaland) -- the listing in the OP describes them as "heavy use", while the one quoted above describes them as "Air Plus"... There's a limit to the description length, so it's not really possible to use every possible label.

tbh, I'll prob just keep these and chalk it up as a lesson, though I don't really like them...
    Yeah -- I'm not keen on them either (I also bought some off eBay by accident!). The fake-cloth-backed Abri-Forms are better because they don't get damp on the outside of the diaper and there's no elastic in the tapes, so the diaper doesn't sag as much. As far as I'm concerned the AirPlus/Premiums are useless; the Abri-Forms just about bearable and better than nothing; while the old plastic-backed ones are in a league of their own.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a close alternative, maybe even something that's cheaper?
    There aren't too many plastic-backed diapers around these days. I just received my first order from Save Express in Germany. They're a little more expensive than other companies, and postage to the UK is a little more expensive too, but they have a great selection... AND stock the plastic-backed Abenas too...

box of 2 adult nappies diapers 28pk incontinence bedwetting adult baby | eBay - give these a go. Really nice plastic ones (but beware the ones in newer packaging which are not plastic.)

FWIW X-Plus was the old name for M4, about the time they changed the name to M4 they also made them thinner and production quality / consistency seems to have gone a bit erratic. The XPlus was a far superior product IMO.

I've used airoliver / save a number of times (including for plastic backed M4's) and as long as you order at least a couple of packs find shipping quite reasonable to the UK.

Molicare Super (the purpley ones) are almost as thick and plastic backed. Tena Slip maxi aren't as thick/bulky, but they absorb a low and fit much more comfortably. Also more in a pack. Sadly they too are changing to cloth next year.