Thread: split down the middle

Default split down the middle

Recently I purchased a case of medium briefs the sizes matched my needs so I had ordered the Medium size.total dry xplus. My problem is the back splits open sometimes. Thought I ordered the right size because im size 35-36 somewhere in there and im 5'-11". Do I need to jump up to a size L? Ive been wearing for a long time and its happend before but this case is different its more often any tips? I don't know what to do. I don't want to get rid of the packs because I NEED them. Thanks

I suggest contacting the seller. Back when they were first coming up they sent me the wrong item and were very nice and took care of the problem. At the very least by telling them they can be aware of the issue. I remember that happening to my diaper once and it had nothing to do with it being too small. Although I do recall putting one on my ex with the same thing happen and she was a little big for them.

Thanks for the advice bugguy6970 I will most deffintley do that for sure. I was thinking to myself that maybe there was a defect or something that I couldn't see. Was trying to go over all the possibilities what could be wrong. Really nerve wracking to say the least

I have had the exact same thing happen with a Molicare. Sometimes the sitting down motion stretches them out too much. Only happened once though in the entire case. Must have just been a weak spot. Unfortunately it happened in my sleeping car on an Amtrak train going cross country. Made quite the mess :/

You are taping the lowers on too tight, and toward each other or upward, possibly wearing on the shell in the vertical area from crotch friction from your pants, and they are likely splitting when you sit or lay on your side and curl up.

First thing to check is that your pants/shorts aren't wearing on them. If you walk around a lot and don't have anything between your diaper and say your jeans, it WILL weaken and eventually split when you sit or curl up. Wear boxers or briefs over your diaper to protect the shell from your pants/shorts.

If that's not the issue, you need to change how you tape the lowers. I've always suggested taping downward, toward the crotch elastic. (use the lowers ONLY to seal around your legs, NOT to hold your diaper close in - if your diaper is a bit large for you, it's going to bulge... that's just how it goes) In your case, it won't put so much added stress on the tapes or the rear of the shell when you sit or curl up. It helps prevent leaks too.

It happened to me as well, but only with Molicares super plus. I guess they were taped just a tiny bit too tight.....but then...this is how I like my diaper.

I'd recommend a size large. I can squeeze into an Abena M4 but the back is prone to splitting. That does no good if you're trying to stay protected.

Quote Originally Posted by indiaperdl View Post
    but then...this is how I like my diaper.
    The problem is your pelvis changes shape when you sit or especially when you curl up, creating more distance around your lower waist. So if it's tight when you're standing, it's gonna get a little tighter when you sit, and a LOT tighter when curl up. And that risks a split. The best way to cope with that is to wear a diaper with good elastic in the legs, with elastic in the back and front of the diaper. I don't know of any plastic diaper offhand besides bambino that uses both front and rear elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bambinod View Post
    You are taping the lowers on too tight, and toward each other or upward, possibly wearing on the shell in the vertical area from crotch friction from your pants, and they are likely splitting when you sit or lay on your side and curl up.

First thing to check is that your pants/shorts aren't wearing on them. If you walk around a lot and don't have anything between your diaper and say your jeans, it WILL weaken and eventually split when you sit or curl up. Wear boxers or briefs over your diaper to protect the shell from your pants/shorts.

If that's not the issue, you need to change how you tape the lowers. I've always suggested taping downward, toward the crotch elastic. (use the lowers ONLY to seal around your legs, NOT to hold your diaper close in - if your diaper is a bit large for you, it's going to bulge... that's just how it goes) In your case, it won't put so much added stress on the tapes or the rear of the shell when you sit or curl up. It helps prevent leaks too.
    Thanks for the info!! This has never been a problem for me for years up until now, I never gave it any thought on taping up that way that you mentioned. Also thanks for the suggestion on the boxers I normally don't wear anything over them but I wouldn't have ever guessed in a million years that rubbing against the inside of your jeans can stress out the diaper enough for it to stretch or rip open.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiKins View Post
    I'd recommend a size large. I can squeeze into an Abena M4 but the back is prone to splitting. That does no good if you're trying to stay protected.
    Thanks, I haven't really tried a size Large, I'm kind of muscular bulky but they seem humongous! LOL I will give it a whirl though next time I'm due for another case. I apperciate the suggestion, Guess I will try a sample pack first to make sure the sizing is okay, I don't want to get stuck with a case that I can't use and be stuck using a shitty brand.

Prior to having health issues I had a 36" waist and though the medium of every brand I wore were more than adequate, I tended to buy the large for comfort and the added absorbency. Now that I'm no longer capable of lifting or running and have put on quite a few pounds due to health issues and multiple meds I still easily fit into the large size of every brief I've ever worn, but have been using the Wellness extra large for the added absorbency and the fact that I only need to wear them when I am going to be sleeping and therefore do not have to wear them in public too often, though there are times when I am in bad shape and have to wear them all of the time. Fortunately I am way beyond the stage where I care if someone notices them when I'm in those situations as I literally do not have a choice.
    I have had a couple of diapers split as you've described but they had to have had some sort of defect as the percentage is well under 1%, and I've had to use at night or when i sleep for well over a decade now.