Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: motorcylces

Default motorcylces

I'm in the market for a motorcycle but need help deciding what one to get.
    im trying to choose between the cbr500r and the cbr600rr. it will be my first bike of my owe i have some riding experience never on anything bigger then a 200. I would get the 500 but then Im scared that i would get bored of it really fast. the 600 is a faster more powerfull bike that it would take me a lot longer to get bored of.

The biggest thing to look for is what is the insurance going to be on it, along with how well it was looked after by the previous owner/ever been dropped/modded etc. I have a Yamaha 1100, but started off on a Honda 400 Custom, they are all balls of fun, albeit dangerous if ridden incorrectly. I don't ride too aggressively in town, but do like to open it up away from the general public, and have never had a wreck that I caused... stoopid deer anyhow! Be safe whatever you decide, and spend some time researching online about what the reviews on both bikes are, although CBR's are bullet-proof if looked after!

Quote Originally Posted by babyboydj View Post
    I'm in the market for a motorcycle but need help deciding what one to get.
    im trying to choose between the cbr500r and the cbr600rr. it will be my first bike of my owe i have some riding experience never on anything bigger then a 200. I would get the 500 but then Im scared that i would get bored of it really fast. the 600 is a faster more powerfull bike that it would take me a lot longer to get bored of.
    Personally I wouldn't ride anything with less then 850/900 ... Simply for the reason that I tour a lot with my bike and with some added on gear, my humble self and maybe more stuff a 500 or 600 is going to be a "pain".
    Also and that is quite important to me: I feel a LOT safer on a more powerful bike, simply for it's added on ability to QUICKLY accelerate and get me out of a tough spot on the road if the shit hits the fan (been there once or twice and wouldn't have made it if the bike would have been slower...).

These days I ride mostly a 1300...

But then again that isn't everything.

Questions you should be asking yourself:
    - What are you going to be using the bike for (daily commuting, tours, occasional coffee racing, etc...)
    - Are you planing on taking another person or luggage (or both) along on your bike
    - Are you planing on long distance trips (large tank will make a huge difference - sure you can load addon-tanks... but it sucks).
    - Do you need to be able to mount boxes or other fixed storage gear?
    - Are you interested in offroad capabilities or capabilities on dirt/rough roads.
    - Is speed important to you?
    - Comfort? a sports bike is usually kicking your butt and back hard on long tours... but it's a hell lot more fun on short trips with serious serpents ... A super-sport, well in my opinion you need a track to really enjoy those monsters.
    A touring enduro is probably the most versatile type of bike, with an ability to take most roads easily, comfortable seating (but for the KTMs.. those feel like sitting on a straight razor after two hours, at least to my humble arse), options to easily mount luggage, stability / durability...
    - ETC...

I've given the Honda CBR1000RR a try while a go (friend of mine rides one)... frankly, it's a pretty powerful machine with a nice handling... but the sitting position wasn't anywhere comfortable for my body...
    Also I've pretty much given up Super-Sport bikes a few years ago... as I said, in my opinion, they're something created for track racing and "suck" at anything different compared to other bike types.
    If all you have planned to do are shorter trips etc... then you're going to be "Ok" ... but as mentioned for anything else they wouldn't be my first or second choice by far.

Also for your first bike, maybe something that is a tad less "sport-oriented" might be the "healthier" option, until you learn to ride properly

My first bike (and current bike) is a fully restored 1982 Yamaha Virago 920. I love to go fast, but hate crotch rockets because they are not comfortable for riding on long trips, which I often do. I also think they are ugly as fuck. I'm actually looking to sell my virago and upgrade to a late 70's Kawasaki KZ 1000 or 1100. You get the performance of a crotch rocket but have the comfort and style of a cruiser or cafe racer. My dad used to have a KZ900 that would do mid 10's on the 1/4 mile.....stock. with the high revving 4 cyl, he could also do 65 in first gear before he hit redline.

Quote Originally Posted by DeftLeppard View Post
    My first bike (and current bike) is a fully restored 1982 Yamaha Virago 920. I love to go fast, but hate crotch rockets because they are not comfortable for riding on long trips, which I often do. I also think they are ugly as fuck. I'm actually looking to sell my virago and upgrade to a late 70's Kawasaki KZ 1000 or 1100. You get the performance of a crotch rocket but have the comfort and style of a cruiser or cafe racer. My dad used to have a KZ900 that would do mid 10's on the 1/4 mile.....stock. with the high revving 4 cyl, he could also do 65 in first gear before he hit redline.
    whilst we had our gear related disagreements so far - I grant you this: the KZ1000 is a VERY neat machine... Wouldn't mind riding one of them myself.

my dad said when he sold his, it was bought by some guy overseas. many of the KZ bikes sell for a lot of money here in the US, due to the huge cult following of those awesome machines, and the large amount of bikes that have been exported overseas have driven the price up due to their scarcity. A fully restored KZ900 can sell for upwards of $3000 in my area. the sad part is that many people bastardize them by chopping the frames and shit. I would leave mine stock minus maybe some performance cams and a ported head, but would restore the rest. my biggest pet peeve with vintage bikes is when people bondo over the emblem mount holes on the gas tanks or side covers.

I say a vulcan 800 it is very forgiving handles great for a first bike all you need to for up keep is chains, oil , tires that is the sitting is good find a dealer that will let you test drive what he has .
    My vulcan 800 had 58000 when i sold her .

- - - Updated - - -

Stay away from the vulcan 750 they have stater problems read all you can about the bike your going to buy google lets say vulcan 750 reviews it will tell if others have had a problems with the bike good luck.

I rode on my brother-in-law's last year because it was my birthday and we were heading to go do some charity work. He didn't want to take the car, so I was coerced into getting on the very horrifying and intimidated motorcycle. It was freaky at first, then I fell in love. I can't wait to ride it again one day. It's a blast really, and I wouldn't mind getting one of my own.

I learned on an SV650. I was a quick bike with plenty of power to get around obstacles and mess around haha I'd definitely suggest the 600 if you already have riding experience, just slowly learn how the bike handles.

acorn

A bike vendor once told me you will only have two good days with this (one - he was selling) or any bike, the day you purchase it and the day you flog it on. You need to decide what you will primarily want the bike for, this will dictate style and size. There is more to biking than max' warp speed.

Nothing will kill your interest in biking better that a financial white elephant. Insurance and routine maintenance (think 20ką miles) could price you off the road. I have skin colors to display from my inappropriate choice biking attire, but it is the clicking joints that speak loudest. Lower insurance could equal better protective clothing. It is not if you come off a bike, the question is when, four wheeled kamikaze pilots are everywhere.