Thread: What A Parent Is.

Default What A Parent Is.

A parent is love.
    A parent is true.
    A parent will always know just what to do.
    I will love you forever and always for sure.
    My love is eternal, it's perfect and pure.

- Copyright 09/27/2013 BabyMitchy
    Thoughts running through my head at the moment. Feelings.....thoughts.... you may think me crazy or a maniac, and I understand your thought process....but you are wrong.

I wrote that just now. It is about the depth of our desire. I know using "our" does not apply to "everyone" but I am willing to bet it applies to many of you. I remember when I was relying on my parents... and I bet you do too.

I have nothing more to offer the world than my heart and soul.

.....isn't that enough?

ANYWAYS......

The point is what we put into the parent figure. Making you really think about what You are looking for... the feelings....the needs you may have.....

Think.....Feel....be.....

Yourself.

When I was little, I thought of my parents in this way. Now I know they were flawed just as I was flawed as a parent. There are no perfect people, but the one thing I've discovered is that love, genuine love, makes up for all the mistakes. I was loved by my parents, and I love my kids, unconditionally. That does make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When I was little, I thought of my parents in this way.
    ...But that is the whole point. I still think of them in this way.

Not to change subjects, but if you like poetry - and yours is very good, try the poetry group.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy View Post
    I have nothing more to offer the world than my heart and soul.

.....isn't that enough?
    No! We demand blood! Oooh! And cookies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    When I was little, I thought of my parents in this way. Now I know they were flawed just as I was flawed as a parent. There are no perfect people, but the one thing I've discovered is that love, genuine love, makes up for all the mistakes. I was loved by my parents, and I love my kids, unconditionally. That does make all the difference.
    Absolutely. As a young kid I thought my parents were perfect and knew everything. Then, as a four-year-old, walking to school with my father in the snow and ice, this illusion was shattered when he slipped and fell over! I remember my eyes bulging and my jaw dropping to the ground as I looked at him in absolute astonishment and disbelief as I said (slightly perturbed), "I didn't know grown-ups could fall over!" My dad laughed so hard it took another ten minutes before he could stand up again!

But anyway, my parents loved me so much that I can't even comprehend it... and I love them just as much in return. It would be weird if they really were as perfect as I imagined they were as an infant. In a way, their weaknesses and imperfections (and how they suffered and strove to overcome them) only makes me love them more.

I can't believe that they're dead and gone... Sigh...

I've been reading a self-help book called "Toxic Parents" and it has some good quotes.

The ancient Greeks had a problem. The gods looked down from their ethereal playground atop Mount Olympus and passed judgment on everything the Greeks were up to. And if the gods weren’t pleased, they were swift to punish. They didn’t have to be kind; they didn’t have to be just; they didn’t even have to be right. In fact, they could be downright irrational. At their whim, they could turn you into an echo or make you push a boulder uphill for all eternity. Needless to
    say, the unpredictability of these powerful gods sowed quite a bit of fear and confusion among their mortal followers.

Not unlike many toxic parent-child relationships. An unpredictable parent is a fearsome god in the eyes of a child.

When we’re very young, our godlike parents are everything to us. Without them, we would be unloved,
    unprotected, unhoused, and unfed, living in a constant state of terror, knowing we were unable to survive alone. They are our all-powerful providers. We need, they supply. With nothing and no one to judge them against, we
    assume them to be perfect parents.

As our world broadens beyond our crib, we develop a need to maintain this image of perfection as a defense against the great unknowns we increasingly encounter. As long as we believe our parents
    are perfect, we feel protected.

Toxic parents aren’t so understanding. From toilet training through adolescence, they tend to see rebellion or
    even individual differences as a personal attack. They defend themselves by reinforcing their child’s dependence
    and helplessness. Instead of promoting healthy development, they unconsciously undermine it, often with the belief that they are acting in their child’s best interest. They may use phrases such as “it builds character” or “she needs to learn right from wrong,” but their arsenals of negativity really harm their child’s self-esteem, sabotaging any budding independence. No matter how much these parents believe they’re right, such assaults are confusing to a child, bewildering in their animosity, their vehemence, and their suddenness.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    No! We demand blood! Oooh! And cookies!!!

Absolutely. As a young kid I thought my parents were perfect and knew everything. Then, as a four-year-old, walking to school with my father in the snow and ice, this illusion was shattered when he slipped and fell over! I remember my eyes bulging and my jaw dropping to the ground as I looked at him in absolute astonishment and disbelief as I said (slightly perturbed), "I didn't know grown-ups could fall over!" My dad laughed so hard it took another ten minutes before he could stand up again!

But anyway, my parents loved me so much that I can't even comprehend it... and I love them just as much in return. It would be weird if they really were as perfect as I imagined they were as an infant. In a way, their weaknesses and imperfections (and how they suffered and strove to overcome them) only makes me love them more.

I can't believe that they're dead and gone... Sigh...
    What a beautiful memory of your dad, Tiny. When I think of all the sacrifices my parents made so that I could become a professional musician, it gives me a much greater appreciation for who they were. Like you Tiny, I miss them very much. My dad never lived long enough to see my children, but my mom held our first born just a couple months before she died of cancer.

I feel certain that they are in another plain, proud of my family, and who they've become. Friday night I played the Chopin Waltz in F Minor, and I like to think they too heard it and enjoyed it. I played it for a musical church function. All those expensive music lessons have enabled me to bring the beauty of music to others who appreciate such things, courtesy of the love they had for me.

My father eas lost alcoholic. I can't remember anything good related with him. Now he's gone for ever. I restored relation with my mother after aboout ten years... Is a few different, but it's very good relation. Sometimes something changes, included finding out... She ever told anything about that and I think it's really better in this way. We both are now very different - better.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMitchy
    ...But that is the whole point. I still think of them in this way.
    Same.
    Reading about all the people here who have lost there parents or had allot of problems with them makes me want to cry.

oh almost forgot, nice poem btw.