Thread: How to better fit cloth nappy squares

Default How to better fit cloth nappy squares

Hi All,

I've been trying to use a cloth nappy square instead of disposable. However no matter what I try I can't seem to get a tight fit. I'm fastening it myself with pins. If anyone could help with this dilemma I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Matty

I don't like posting pictures much, but maybe I'll try coming up with something early next week. Too many people around the Maxx house on weekends to fool with diapers.

Hint: 4 pins required.

Make sure it's broken in and washed at least 5 times on hot/cold. This will make it shrink and may give you a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by mattytwo81 View Post
    Hi All,

I've been trying to use a cloth nappy square instead of disposable. However no matter what I try I can't seem to get a tight fit. I'm fastening it myself with pins. If anyone could help with this dilemma I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Matty
    Can you be more specific, where is it too loose?

Hi All,

Cheers,
    Matty
    How big are the squares, and how are you folding/using them? And how big are you? More info, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    How big are the squares, and how are you folding/using them? And how big are you? More info, please!
    1. Size of squares is 1m x 1m or bit over 40 inches.

2. Tried kite fold, triangle fold, rectangle fold mainly

3. I'm a very skinny frame and waist wise around 75-77cm or bit over 30 inches.

4. I can get the nappy/diaper to fit snugly around waist and firm across stomach however when I move about it just seems to be loose between the legs. Really I want a snug fit all round.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Cheers
    Matty

1. Size of squares is 1m x 1m or bit over 40 inches.

2. Tried kite fold, triangle fold, rectangle fold mainly

3. I'm a very skinny frame and waist wise around 75-77cm or bit over 30 inches.

4. I can get the nappy/diaper to fit snugly around waist and firm across stomach however when I move about it just seems to be loose between the legs. Really I want a snug fit all round.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Cheers
    Matty
    I use the newspaper fold as shown in the link below. Adjust the initial top and side folds as necessary for desired fit.

In my experience, especially when wet, a cloth diaper tends to sag between the legs giving the feeling of looseness. Personally, I like the look and feeling, but that’s just me.

Prefold Picture Tutorial

...what WBxx said. It'll still take some fiddling to get the fit you want. Here are a few basic ideas to help keep things snug through the crotch. They're not all that important to diaper function, but, like you, I do prefer a snug fit down there.

1) Fold the diaper a little short, and keep the shortness in front so that when you're pulling the back corners of the diaper forward to pin them, you're having to pull slightly downward as well. In that way, the diaper can hang on your hips and butt and the front is being pulled up.

2) Make sure you have enough width in the back of the diaper so that the pins can land just forward of your hips. If the pins are on top of your hips, they're pulling more out than up.

Good luck.

Hi Matty - I found this link through Google a few minutes ago - it's got a stack of photographs and step-by-step diagrams to help you create various nappy/diaper folds: Types of Cloth Diapers and How to Fold Them