Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: for you leaky babies

Default for you leaky babies

Home Expressions Zippered Waterproof Mattress Cover - Stop Bed Bugs, Dust Mites, Waterproof and Protect Your Mattress Investment!

Waterproof zip-on mattress cover. looks like Full is the only size available, though would probably work fine on a twin. $15 shipped, kinda hard to beat.

it looks like these hypoallergenic/bedbug-proof covers for college dorm beds are trendy. and they also happen to be waterproof - bonus! now soaking the mattress is one less thing for college kids to worry about :-D

I read that it's available in all sizes, twin thru king. Not a bad idea, it affords extra protection.

I've pretty much given up trying to find a decent mattress protector. The first one I got was a cheap plastic layer. I tried it under a sheet and sweat like a pig within 2 minutes! So I tried it under a spare duvet and sheet... (kinda pointless since I don't want a wet duvet!) but I still got too hot and sticky.

So I tried a reusable bed pad with a thick layer of absorbent material on top... and the only time I don't sweat is in mid-winter when it's really cold and I have several layers of clothes on (onesie, t-shirt, footed pyjamas).

Frustratingly, I stayed on the sofa at a friends house (after a late night drinking session) and at 6am when his son got up, I was offered a quiet lay down on his bed. I noticed the waterproof mattress cover directly under the sheet straight away... but if felt different; it was a funny kind of plastic that didn't feel sweaty... Anyway, I slept just fine without getting hot or clammy.

I would love to know what kind of mattress protector it is... but... I can't exactly bring it up in conversation without it sounding weird! I want to get exactly the same one, but... I guess I'll never know what type it is... :-/

I don't really need a mattress protector -- diapers seem to have me covered! But it would be nice for a more "authentic" childlike experience...

be carfull with new plastic sheets,
    all the water proof sheets sold today seem to be very thin textured vinyl that has pinhole leaks out of the box and rips in the first month. the breathable cloth covered ones dont even work and leak right through.

the only kind i have found to last and work are ones made before 1997. the pvc was about 10x thicker and smooth, so they never leak , never rip, and easy to clean.

the old ones can be found at theift stores and yard sales for about $5.

you can also make your own with off the roll pvc from fabric stores for about $40-$80 that will last decades.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    be carfull with new plastic sheets,
    all the water proof sheets sold today seem to be very thin textured vinyl that has pinhole leaks out of the box and rips in the first month. the breathable cloth covered ones dont even work and leak right through.

the only kind i have found to last and work are ones made before 1997. the pvc was about 10x thicker and smooth, so they never leak , never rip, and easy to clean.

the old ones can be found at theift stores and yard sales for about $5.

you can also make your own with off the roll pvc from fabric stores for about $40-$80 that will last decades.

that intel is simply WRONG,.. sorry.

as I've been dealing with IC all my life and bedwetting as well, trust me, I know a deal or two about mattress protection that works or doesn't.

Now there are VERY nice terry-covered POLY URETHANE coated models on the market that are NOT SWEATY, really hardly noticeable and DO WORK as intended - even after quite a good number of washing/drying cycles.

However the good ones run at about 35-90$ depending on what size / quality you get.

I would NEVER want to sleep on a bed again that has one of these old fashioned heavy pvc things on or god forbid the heavy rubber sheets I remember from my childhood.
    No thanks, no... it just feels NASTY in my opinion.

The ones I use (cloth, coated with poly urethane) is quite breathable and you'll hardly no it's there.. and in the like 15 years I've been using them I had not had a single one leak through to the mattress, even if the diapers failed or whatever.
    Also my GF is very ok with using on of them, as she basically can't tell the difference even in summer time - and she finds it a lot more hygienic anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post

Frustratingly, I stayed on the sofa at a friends house (after a late night drinking session) and at 6am when his son got up, I was offered a quiet lay down on his bed. I noticed the waterproof mattress cover directly under the sheet straight away... but if felt different; it was a funny kind of plastic that didn't feel sweaty... Anyway, I slept just fine without getting hot or clammy.

I would love to know what kind of mattress protector it is... but... I can't exactly bring it up in conversation without it sounding weird! I want to get exactly the same one, but... I guess I'll never know what type it is... :-/

I don't really need a mattress protector -- diapers seem to have me covered! But it would be nice for a more "authentic" childlike experience...
    In reply to Tiny: you could mention that you have slept on plastic mattress covers before (hotels sometimes have them) and you usually sweat but this time you did not and just wondered what this cover was made of.

My main bed is a King, so I have little choice other than to use a twin size waterproof cover on my side on top of the mattress. I also frequently sleep in a hospital style bed as I suffer greatly and I'm in writhing pain quite often so I'll sleep on that bed so that she is able to get a good nights' rest. The twin waterproof cover fits that bed perfectly. I also use multiple cloth absorbent mats on both beds in case of any leaks as ruining a very expensive king size mattress would probably get me killed by my wife!

robbw

Most hospital beds have a mattress made out of plastic like a big crib mattress. When I was in the hospital the bed i slept on had a plastic mattress. It as cool, I felt like a big toddler!

Any places for a twin mattress protector that would fit on a pillow top mattress, my mattress is thicker than the standard ones (I think its 16-18" and I've seen only 1 mattress cover that would fit and it was 120$, I don't want to pay so much for this, any other options...