Thread: Urine collection Test

Default Urine collection Test

I just finished a 24 hour urine collection test. It was a lot of fun. I had to collect my urine every time I had to pee. This was very challenging when I had to urinate 29 times because of my frequent urination problem. The lab gave me a collection hat to install on the toilet to make it easier to pee into. Since I am a post op transsexual I find it hard to pee into the little cup that they give you at the doctors office. Another issue was storing the jug in the refrigerator and having to get it, fill it and return it 29 times. I also had to remove the hat and then replace it 29 times because I share the toilet with my wife because our other toilet is under repair.

As you can see I had lots of fun. Especially carrying the jug of urine around, just like I enjoyed carrying the bag of urine when I had the catheter a month ago.

I got do to one of those too! I kept my jug in a bucket of ice, certainly away from my refrigerator lol what did they make you take it for (if it isn't too personal).

I got one those funny hats too. I had to keep track of who many times I went and how much. Then all the other fun stuff at the urologist office. All to find out what I already knew. I have a bladder that is the size of a 6 year old, and some muscles that don't work right. Like when the flow starts I can't stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie0 View Post
    I got do to one of those too! I kept my jug in a bucket of ice, certainly away from my refrigerator lol what did they make you take it for (if it isn't too personal).
    My wife set up an old 3 cu ft frig near the bathroom to keep my jug in so it would not be in our main food frig.

The test was for 5-H1AA a substance that diagnosis Carcinoid syndrome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    I got one those funny hats too. I had to keep track of who many times I went and how much. Then all the other fun stuff at the urologist office. All to find out what I already knew. I have a bladder that is the size of a 6 year old, and some muscles that don't work right. Like when the flow starts I can't stop it.
    They gave me a big jug with no markings at all. I guess the jug was a gallon. I almost filled up the jug. I drink 6 bottles of water a day.

When I read up on the test I found out that the volume per pee is not important only the total amount of urine in 24 hours to determine the total 5-H1AA. I have a frequent urination problem but this test was not for that. This test was for Carcinoid syndrome.

I had a cystoscopy and catheter last month for my urinary problem which I talked about in a different thread at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterSister View Post
    My wife set up an old 3 cu ft frig near the bathroom to keep my jug in so it would not be in our main food frig.

The test was for 5-H1AA a substance that diagnosis Carcinoid syndrome.

- - - Updated - - -

They gave me a big jug with no markings at all. I guess the jug was a gallon. I almost filled up the jug. I drink 6 bottles of water a day.

When I read up on the test I found out that the volume per pee is not important only the total amount of urine in 24 hours to determine the total 5-H1AA. I have a frequent urination problem but this test was not for that. This test was for Carcinoid syndrome.

I had a cystoscopy and catheter last month for my urinary problem which I talked about in a different thread at that time.
    I feel for you on the cystoscopy they have done that to me a few time to test my bladder before deciding that diapers were the option. I don't know how tolerant you are of them but when ever they did it to me it would hurt a lot during and for a few days after even with the analgesics.

I am sorry you had to go through and hope they can help you and that 5-H1AA test comes back okay for both you and fiver, she would fall apart if something big was wrong with you as would many of us.

As far as the bladder issue of frequent urination have they tried physical therapy yet, I know they did that with me plus a TENS unit and it helped a lot, it did not stop the IC but it made timed voiding possible meaning I can get away with out diaper at work and places where I can readily access the bathroom every 90 - minutes or so, though for sleepin, movies, long trips they are still needed. Just something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by Adella View Post
    I feel for you on the cystoscopy they have done that to me a few time to test my bladder before deciding that diapers were the option. I don't know how tolerant you are of them but when ever they did it to me it would hurt a lot during and for a few days after even with the analgesics.

I am sorry you had to go through and hope they can help you and that 5-H1AA test comes back okay for both you and fiver, she would fall apart if something big was wrong with you as would many of us.

As far as the bladder issue of frequent urination have they tried physical therapy yet, I know they did that with me plus a TENS unit and it helped a lot, it did not stop the IC but it made timed voiding possible meaning I can get away with out diaper at work and places where I can readily access the bathroom every 90 - minutes or so, though for sleepin, movies, long trips they are still needed. Just something to look into.
    I tolerated the cystoscopy well. When I woke up in recovery I could feel the catheter and it was very annoying. Within a couple of hours I was tolerating the catheter well and had no problems for the duration. As a matter of fact I came to really like the catheter and the urine bag. I really liked not having to go to the bathroom 25 to 30 times a day. I was better for a week after removal of the catheter but I am back to the same old thing. I wish I could use a catheter all the time.

My problem is not bladder size. My problem is a restriction in my urethea supposedly caused from my SRS surgery. I pee on the average every 45 minutes during the day and every 90 minutes at night. I think I can live with those times. The urologist here says the only option is to go back to my SRS surgeon for a fix to my urethea problem. My SRS surgeon supposedly has his own urologist to work on this fix. I had my SRS surgery in Portland in 1996 but he is now in Arizona. I am not sure what to do about this urination issue. I think my other issues are potentially more important to resolve then my urination issue.

I should get the result of the 5-H1AA test today or tomorrow and then find out the next steps from the endocenologist. I see my GP on Wed and have a number of special tests I am going to ask her to run for me.

I tolerated the cystoscopy well. When I woke up in recovery I could feel the catheter and it was very annoying. Within a couple of hours I was tolerating the catheter well and had no problems for the duration. As a matter of fact I came to really like the catheter and the urine bag. I really liked not having to go to the bathroom 25 to 30 times a day. I was better for a week after removal of the catheter but I am back to the same old thing. I wish I could use a catheter all the time.

My problem is not bladder size. My problem is a restriction in my urethea supposedly caused from my SRS surgery. I pee on the average every 45 minutes during the day and every 90 minutes at night. I think I can live with those times. The urologist here says the only option is to go back to my SRS surgeon for a fix to my urethea problem. My SRS surgeon supposedly has his own urologist to work on this fix. I had my SRS surgery in Portland in 1996 but he is now in Arizona. I am not sure what to do about this urination issue. I think my other issues are potentially more important to resolve then my urination issue.

I should get the result of the 5-H1AA test today or tomorrow and then find out the next steps from the endocenologist. I see my GP on Wed and have a number of special tests I am going to ask her to run for me.
    I seem GP and transition doctor wednesday as well. As far as the catheter if it works for you your urologist, a GP or a certified nurse practitioner can teach you how to self cath safely to avoid infection, and an infection is the greatest risk of catheter use. I just don't tolerate them well but for people who do self cathing can be a God send for reliving number of times issue also over time they do help to stretch the urethra and help with a overly tight sphincter. You may already know about your GP or RN being able to teach you if you want, also caths don't require a prescription and are reasonable about $1.50 a piece for decent ones. Anyway I am glad you tolerated the cystoscopy well and I hope your other test comes back good from the other dr. please let me know if your okay with that.

Wave hi to Fiver for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adella View Post
    I seem GP and transition doctor wednesday as well. As far as the catheter if it works for you your urologist, a GP or a certified nurse practitioner can teach you how to self cath safely to avoid infection, and an infection is the greatest risk of catheter use. I just don't tolerate them well but for people who do self cathing can be a God send for reliving number of times issue also over time they do help to stretch the urethra and help with a overly tight sphincter. You may already know about your GP or RN being able to teach you if you want, also caths don't require a prescription and are reasonable about $1.50 a piece for decent ones. Anyway I am glad you tolerated the cystoscopy well and I hope your other test comes back good from the other dr. please let me know if your okay with that.

Wave hi to Fiver for me.
    The results of the 24 hour urine test came out normal. The endocrinologist says he has no other ideas in his speciality. I have an appointment with a GI doctor next Tuesday.

The results of the 24 hour urine test came out normal. The endocrinologist says he has no other ideas in his speciality. I have an appointment with a GI doctor next Tuesday.
    Well, that part is good to hear Karen! Of course...there is the frustration with still not knowing what is the problems are...

You are in my thoughts!
    -Marka