Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How stupid was Ted Cruz's Fillbuster?

Default How stupid was Ted Cruz's Fillbuster?

This topic is NOT to make light of Ted Cruz and his useless "fillibuster" that solved nothing and locked up the senate from taking up any meaningful action they might have for those 21 hours and 18 mins.

So, what are your thoughts on it?

First thing is your opening statement says you are not making light of his filibuster. But in the same sentence you slam it.
    The current approval rate for the house and the senate is 20%. Poll: Americans give Congress better marks
    That being said how did this filibuster waste any time. At least he tried something different. Perhaps the congress shutting down for a while would benefit the country.

My understanding is it didn't stop the Senate from doing anything, since it wasn't a real filibuster. It was just a pre-planned fake filibuster. It was basically him trying to make a name with the base for the elections in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    First thing is your opening statement says you are not making light of his filibuster. But in the same sentence you slam it.
    The current approval rate for the house and the senate is 20%. Poll: Americans give Congress better marks
    That being said how did this filibuster waste any time. At least he tried something different. Perhaps the congress shutting down for a while would benefit the country.
    Slamming it isn't making light (See:joking) about it. It wasted his and every other senators time since he talked for 21 hours, to try to defund obama care. It wasn't going to work so much that fellow republicans pretty much called him a fucking idiot for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    My understanding is it didn't stop the Senate from doing anything, since it wasn't a real filibuster. It was just a pre-planned fake filibuster. It was basically him trying to make a name with the base for the elections in a couple years.
    He was purposefully delaying a vote that he and everyone else voted for. All he did was push everything on the agenda back 21+ hours.

But I guess in opposite world that's not wasting time at all.

I keep hoping for the real government shutdown. Maybe next time.

I think The Onion described it quite adequately.

Why hasn't the republican party shut down yet? Or at least gotten caught up with the times... I think they believe this is still 1993 or something. Though, I could always be misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    He was purposefully delaying a vote that he and everyone else voted for. All he did was push everything on the agenda back 21+ hours.
    That vote wasn't delayed, it was set for the next day at 1pm, the (well likely) reason he only rambled for 21 hours.
    Not a filibuster, just a 21-hour speech: Republican Senator, Ted Cruz, rails against President Obama's plans for US healthcare - Americas - World - The Independent

Although to those outside the Washington beltway it appeared to be a filibuster – Capitol Hill jargon for when a Senator occupies the chamber’s floor to indefinitely block other business – Mr Cruz’s diatribe was technically only an extended speech. Under the rules, without the support of the majority of his Republican colleagues in the Senate, he had to yield to a planned vote that would lead the way to a measure to fund the federal government through mid-November, including funds for the healthcare reforms known as Obamacare.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    At least he tried something different. Perhaps the congress shutting down for a while would benefit the country.
    Yeah, clearly the best solution for a congress which isn't legislating is to have congress not legislate.

Wtf are you on about?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    That vote wasn't delayed, it was set for the next day at 1pm, the (well likely) reason he only rambled for 21 hours.
    Not a filibuster, just a 21-hour speech: Republican Senator, Ted Cruz, rails against President Obama's plans for US healthcare - Americas - World - The Independent
    a 21 hour speech that solved nothing, gained nothing, hurt his political chances and damaged his own political party. It wasn't a fillibuster only because it wasn't going to work.

It did however waste time. Because in the senate only one person can speak at a time. There's 99 other people, i'm sure a few of them had more important things to say then quote reality TV or do horrible star wars impressions.