Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know if this is true?

Default Anyone know if this is true?

Ok so I have Cable Internet 20Mb's with Time Warner Cable and using their router/modum, I/We have 1 Wireless laptop, 1 Xbox 360 wireless, Vizo TV wired, Direct TV Genie wired, 1 PC wired and 1 PS3 wired.

When I'm on the PS3 or Laptop either playing FFXIV or watching Youtube, and my roommate is trying to watch show's On-Demand with Direct TV it's constantly stopping and buffering the whole time for us, all the other stuff we have is turned off, I called Tech support and the lady told me rather the stuff we have is on or not as long as it has been connect in the past it effects our bandwidth now, and the best thing to do is unhook everything form the router, reset it, plug the cables back in and only turn on 1 or 2 devices at a time.

Now to me that sounds like a cheap excuse and they are reaching for straws for something she didn't really know, so i'm wondering does anyone else know anything about Cable Internet, rather this is true, do i just need more speed or ditch TWC for a different company? Though I think my only other option is Windstream DSL I believe.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Robin

As far as I know, and don't quote me on this at all because I'm incredibly inexperienced with this kind of stuff, as long as it is turned off there should be no connection. That's like having a phone that is connected to wifi, but after you turn it off, it's still connected. That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I've never had a problem with things being turned off having an effect on bandwidth. When my brother's laptop is on, it's usually hitting my internet hard (mainly because he's constantly downloading junk), but as soon as he closes it and goes to bed, which effectively puts it in sleep mode, my internet problems stop. Now, this is only in sleep mode, so I imagine (and know based off experience) that the same effect will occur when it is actually turned off.

People in cable companies try their hardest to avoid admitting the problem is theirs, and they may give you a reach around to try and keep the blame from being put on them. It may be that your playing FFXIV and Netflix being on at the same time is using up all the bandwidth. However, if that has not been a problem before in the past, it's most likely the cable company's fault.

I have TWC myself, and they are god awful. Probably the worst cable company I've ever seen or dealt with, but where I live, that's all we have. I would not put it being their fault and them lying about it past them. They've done it to me in the past, even when I know for a fact that it's their fault.

Again, do not quote me on the above. I seriously am just speculating here.

I would recommend testing the theory with using speed tests.
    Also, do you know how much bandwidth you're paying for? I'm lucky where I get exactly how much I'm paying for, maybe a little bit more.

Direct TV (satellite) should not be effected by your cable Internet at all.

The woman is talking rubbish! The router doesn't "save bandwidth" for devices like that -- especially if they're turned off. And there's nothing in a Cable router that is different than an ADSL router -- it's just the "modem" that differs.

I don't know much about this (so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree), but maybe there's some problem with the Quality of Service (QoS) indicators. Essentially, with QoS, network traffic can be designated a "high" or "low" priority. Video and gaming data is usually considered more "time sensitive" than email and web traffic, etc., so it gets a higher priority. I really don't know how this works, but... can your ISP change QoS settings (maybe even disabling it to see if that helps)? I'm not sure if that's possible... maybe someone else knows more about this than I do...?

The other possibility is that you're running out of bandwidth. You say you have a 20Mb/s cable connection. I don't know how much bandwidth the On-Demand Direct TV service uses, but the BBC's iPlayer uses around 650MB per hour... so that's 650MB/60/60 = ~0.18MB/s. There are 8 bits in a byte, so that's ~1.44Mb/s.

So, if Direct TV is anything like iPlayer, it requires 1.44Mb/s. Let's double that to allow for a brief period when you start the TV programme where it will cache the next few minutes for you, and double it again in case Direct TV is some ultra-high-quality streaming service... and that's still only 5.67Mb/s... barely over a quarter of your 20Mb/s limit. I don't know how much bandwidth gaming uses, but I'd have thought you'd have more than enough. Not everyone has a 20Mb/s internet connection!

Have you checked your download speeds here (make sure all other computers/devices are turned off when you run the test): Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Also, what's your latency (ping time)? That can really affect gaming.

And your upload speed...? Usually it's much smaller than your download speed. Maybe the games you play need to upload a large amount of data and hog all the bandwidth, so the tiny uploads required to maintain connection to the Direct TV service get delayed, causing everything to slow down...?

I'm just guessing here... your ISP really should be helping you out...

Question do you have your cellphone connected also? Texting and such? What I wondering is if you have more then 6 devices. 2 or 3 of them are fighting for a connection to your router. Or is your router not secure and someone pigging back on your lines.

If you have more then 6 devices. See if you can barrow a old wireless router Or wired and piggy back it on your current router and move a few devices to that router. See if it correct the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
    Direct TV (satellite) should not be effected by your cable Internet at all.
    Assuming they're talking about the feature I think they are, the On-Demand content is streamed over your internet connection, or if it's too slow downloaded to the box like a recording for watching later.

Thank you all so much for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by incontinentGM24 View Post
    I would recommend testing the theory with using speed tests.
    Also, do you know how much bandwidth you're paying for? I'm lucky where I get exactly how much I'm paying for, maybe a little bit more.
    All I really know is it's 20Mb's but as far as my bandwidth i'm not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    Question do you have your cellphone connected also? Texting and such? What I wondering is if you have more then 6 devices. 2 or 3 of them are fighting for a connection to your router. Or is your router not secure and someone pigging back on your lines.
    If you have more then 6 devices. See if you can barrow a old wireless router Or wired and piggy back it on your current router and move a few devices to that router. See if it correct the problem.
    No cell phone, i have the internet on it turned off, but I do have a Kindle that I use every now and then to download books, normally the most I have on is 2 to 3 things, like i'll put on the PS3, my roommate will start watching a movie on demand and all the other things we have will be shut off, so I don't really see it being that, but i'm wondering, if where we have the TV connected but not actually using an app on it at the moment could it still be trying to use bandwidth just from being on? I'm not sure on how that works, I think if the feature isn't being used then it shouldn't be on ~shurg~ but I don't know.

I do have a Wireless/Wired netgear router I bought last summer and never used and I asked about using it along with the one from my ISP and the people I talked to with them are telling me it's this huge process of setting it up and 90% of what they where saying I didn't even understand LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
    Assuming they're talking about the feature I think they are, the On-Demand content is streamed over your internet connection, or if it's too slow downloaded to the box like a recording for watching later.
    Yep that's the feature, it's really awesome! I couldn't believe all the channels that have On-demand when streaming over your internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    The woman is talking rubbish! The router doesn't "save bandwidth" for devices like that -- especially if they're turned off. And there's nothing in a Cable router that is different than an ADSL router -- it's just the "modem" that differs.

I don't know much about this (so I'm probably barking up the wrong tree), but maybe there's some problem with the Quality of Service (QoS) indicators. Essentially, with QoS, network traffic can be designated a "high" or "low" priority. Video and gaming data is usually considered more "time sensitive" than email and web traffic, etc., so it gets a higher priority. I really don't know how this works, but... can your ISP change QoS settings (maybe even disabling it to see if that helps)? I'm not sure if that's possible... maybe someone else knows more about this than I do...?

The other possibility is that you're running out of bandwidth. You say you have a 20Mb/s cable connection. I don't know how much bandwidth the On-Demand Direct TV service uses, but the BBC's iPlayer uses around 650MB per hour... so that's 650MB/60/60 = ~0.18MB/s. There are 8 bits in a byte, so that's ~1.44Mb/s.

So, if Direct TV is anything like iPlayer, it requires 1.44Mb/s. Let's double that to allow for a brief period when you start the TV programme where it will cache the next few minutes for you, and double it again in case Direct TV is some ultra-high-quality streaming service... and that's still only 5.67Mb/s... barely over a quarter of your 20Mb/s limit. I don't know how much bandwidth gaming uses, but I'd have thought you'd have more than enough. Not everyone has a 20Mb/s internet connection!

Have you checked your download speeds here (make sure all other computers/devices are turned off when you run the test): Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Also, what's your latency (ping time)? That can really affect gaming.

And your upload speed...? Usually it's much smaller than your download speed. Maybe the games you play need to upload a large amount of data and hog all the bandwidth, so the tiny uploads required to maintain connection to the Direct TV service get delayed, causing everything to slow down...?

I'm just guessing here... your ISP really should be helping you out...
    the last speed test I did was using Speedtest.net using a wired connection on my laptop and got 21.14Mbs downstream 1.53Mbs upstream and 13 ping. I'm not 100% what each of my devices should be pulling as far as bandwidth but it's something i'm trying to figure out, I looked around online not really finding it so i think I'll call each company, surly they should know what their service is/should/would/is using to run :p

Since posting my streams seems to improved, I did call in and they reset my channels but said it was for wireless which i don't understand how that would hep me seeing as how the problem is with my wired devices are having the problem, and my wireless devices seem to be working fine

Well rebooting the modem/router combo once in awhile is a good idea and it does help, that is more because their equipment isn't quite up snuff so rebooting them makes up for a lack of appropriate software management on the device.

I am glad your streams are doing better, one thing to do might be to issue a real world test a lot of companies use a boost feature that ups your bandwidth for the first few minutes during heavy usage in order to cope with it then it drops off.

To test the real available bandwidth you and your roommate could both start a streamed show at the same time and then put the ps3 online with FFXIV, and run a speedtest from the pc and see what you have left over if any.
    Also it possible that any web enabled device that is on and connected to the net could be downloading content though usually not for long as it is often updates or things like that, I could see a problem if one of your dvr's was pulling a lot of content for viewing later.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    the last speed test I did was using Speedtest.net using a wired connection on my laptop and got 21.14Mbs downstream 1.53Mbs upstream and 13 ping. I'm not 100% what each of my devices should be pulling as far as bandwidth but it's something i'm trying to figure out, I looked around online not really finding it so i think I'll call each company, surly they should know what their service is/should/would/is using to run :p
    The speed and latency (ping time) look fine, so I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. As Adella says, it might be worth rebooting the router (just turn it off for a minute and back on). But don't do this too often as your ISP might interpret the disconnections as being to poor line quality and reduce the connection speed as a result.

Otherwise (also as Adella said!) it could be due to updates being downloaded in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post

Yep that's the feature, it's really awesome! I couldn't believe all the channels that have On-demand when streaming over your internet.
    Is is possible that the On-Demand box was trying to download a lot of TV programmes when you and your room-mate were noticing streaming problems? Can you set the On-Demand box to download at night so it doesn't slow you down when you want to use the internet for other things?

If you have problems again, you should be able to go into your router's web interface to see how much bandwidth you're using, and if you're getting close to your ~20Mb/s limit. You can also get a network monitor in the form of a Windows "gadget" to keep an eye on the bandwidth you're using.

Network Meter Gadget Review

If you notice any spikes, it might be worth running a scan of your PC to make sure you don't have any viruses or other malware that are slowing down your connection.

Or... does your ISP use throttling or traffic shaping... perhaps without telling you?

BBC NEWS | Technology | BT accused of iPlayer throttling

Since posting my streams seems to improved, I did call in and they reset my channels but said it was for wireless which i don't understand how that would hep me seeing as how the problem is with my wired devices are having the problem, and my wireless devices seem to be working fine
    Yeah -- resetting the wireless channels won't affect your wired devices! But, as an aside, you might want to have a look at the free version of InSSIDer. It shows you all the wireless networks within range and which channels they are using so you can select the channel with the least interference.

inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek

N.B. The channels overlap with a channel either side of them, so channel 4 will actually broadcast over the frequencies used by channels 3 to 5. So select the least used channel with the least used neighbouring channels for the best signal strength.