Thread: Why have always gotten strength from my Baby personality

Default Why have always gotten strength from my Baby personality

I have found that in times of real stress that I have always gotten strength from my baby personality.

I don't think that it has ever been an escape from things. It has been more like a security blanket that I have had since 14 . It may have even earlier than that. When I have been real upset about things, I would have potty accidents. Even in adulthood this has happened.

I have tried to figure out what and when this is triggered. At what point to I reach that the baby personality takes over. I do know that it all has to do with emotional stress.

There are some things that bother me more emotionally than others. One of then that bothers me the most is the death of a loved one, or some very close to me. I have gone through two in the last year. After both of these I have has a night time messing accident. Bed wetting is one thing, but I don't like dealing with messing too. I should know that they will happen, my guts feel like they are tied in knots. I am an emotional wreck when these happen.

It is thou my baby personality says this is to much and takes over.

There is stress in life but where do I draw the line. I don't think I can. My baby personality is my protector. I just need to learn how to not let things reach a point of me needing to have my baby side take over.

That makes good sense to me that your little side is a form of comfort to you. I know I often seem to go subconsciously into 'little mode' or get into a 'little mindset' when I get very upset at times. It can definitely happen to me when I'm not intending for it. If it happens in a situation where I can not be little or childlike outwardly, I just feel it inside me, and it feels as though I'm suddenly acting the part of an adult, looking out at the world through childlike eyes. Usually I just wish to escape, go off by myself or to my boyfriend, and attempt to find comfort and relax my worried mind.

There seems to be triggers for me, too, but I think they are different than your triggers. I guess those of us, like you and I, Kenny, who grew up in less than nice homes, have our AB sides connected to trauma. And so our AB sides can pop out when faced with reminders or recreations of such traumas, again, as grownups. Even little things can sort of snap me into a childlike mindset - though this childlike side is frightened and upset, rather than playful and giggly. These are random things to other people, but specific to me. I don't like the sound of ice clinking in glass, to hear people yelling, the smell of moth balls, white ceiling fans, broken glass on floors or in sinks, and various other strange details. Those are things that can jolt me into little-mode without it being a real choice - but luckily I can definitely force myself to continue being adult during those times, even long enough for the surprise-little-mode to fade away on its own.

Losing a loved one as you said is a seriously stressful event to any human being! And I do know that a lot of stress can definitely lead to your stomach being sick and upset, along with your heart. Luckily I am not incontinent so I don't have accidents like that, but it makes sense that if you're prone to accidents you'd be especially prone to accidents when you're emotionally distraught.

This discussion makes me think of something I read about called dissociative identity disorder. But in my case and it seems in your case, we absolutely know what our other 'personalities' are up to and we have at least some control over it. There does seem to be an interesting link, however, between adult babies and DID. There is a similarity in that ABs use a separate personality to deal with stress - except they know they are doing it and have no amnesia about it, etc. I notice an even stronger link to this idea with LGs, who swap around their gender, too, to kind of make it even more clear they're going into a different sort of personality than their usual one. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    That makes good sense to me that your little side is a form of comfort to you. I know I often seem to go subconsciously into 'little mode' or get into a 'little mindset' when I get very upset at times. It can definitely happen to me when I'm not intending for it. If it happens in a situation where I can not be little or childlike outwardly, I just feel it inside me, and it feels as though I'm suddenly acting the part of an adult, looking out at the world through childlike eyes. Usually I just wish to escape, go off by myself or to my boyfriend, and attempt to find comfort and relax my worried mind.

There seems to be triggers for me, too, but I think they are different than your triggers. I guess those of us, like you and I, Kenny, who grew up in less than nice homes, have our AB sides connected to trauma. And so our AB sides can pop out when faced with reminders or recreations of such traumas, again, as grownups. Even little things can sort of snap me into a childlike mindset - though this childlike side is frightened and upset, rather than playful and giggly. These are random things to other people, but specific to me. I don't like the sound of ice clinking in glass, to hear people yelling, the smell of moth balls, white ceiling fans, broken glass on floors or in sinks, and various other strange details. Those are things that can jolt me into little-mode without it being a real choice - but luckily I can definitely force myself to continue being adult during those times, even long enough for the surprise-little-mode to fade away on its own.

Losing a loved one as you said is a seriously stressful event to any human being! And I do know that a lot of stress can definitely lead to your stomach being sick and upset, along with your heart. Luckily I am not incontinent so I don't have accidents like that, but it makes sense that if you're prone to accidents you'd be especially prone to accidents when you're emotionally distraught.

This discussion makes me think of something I read about called dissociative identity disorder. But in my case and it seems in your case, we absolutely know what our other 'personalities' are up to and we have at least some control over it. There does seem to be an interesting link, however, between adult babies and DID. There is a similarity in that ABs use a separate personality to deal with stress - except they know they are doing it and have no amnesia about it, etc. I notice an even stronger link to this idea with LGs, who swap around their gender, too, to kind of make it even more clear they're going into a different sort of personality than their usual one. Just food for thought.
    Even after 3 years with a therapist I didn't understand the baby personality. After talking with you and others I'm know what and why now.

I think the baby personality started long before I was 14, but it was then that I realized it was there. I think I know whuy the age of the Baby personality is 1 1/2 to 2 . That was when I spent a lot of time with my grandpa. If you have ever watched the Walton's he would remind you of grandpa Walton.

Now understanding that the baby personality is very real I can now put the two sides together and work at making myself whole.

Even though my childhood was quite good overall, I understand what you're saying, Kenny. It's like the "baby" side of us is a sort of support in times when the stress gets to be too much. And it's certain situations, too. You mentioned that your little side comes out when you're upset over lost loved ones. And that makes sense, since that's one of the worst things that can happen to a person.

With me, it's similar. I've realized that I often go little as a result of stress. As a kid, I got bullied a lot, and learned to be very independent and deal with stress on my own. Now, I find that I regress to being a little girl when I'm trying to relax after a stressful situation. (And I think one reason I regress to being a girl in particular is because I always saw girls as being more free to be scarred and have feelings than boys. Small town experience). So I think it's similar to what you've said here.

And like you said, Frogsy, there are definitely certain things that trigger the experience. For me, it's almost like emotions play a stronger role. Being tired, or having a minute to slow down in the midst of stress, or being anxious - those all bring out the LG feelings. I think it's related to wanting to be comforted or cared for. Then again, sometimes it comes out when I'm happy and relaxed, too. So...it's complicated. Seriously, when's someone going to actually study us? I feel like we'd make a fascinating psych study.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Even though my childhood was quite good overall, I understand what you're saying, Kenny. It's like the "baby" side of us is a sort of support in times when the stress gets to be too much. And it's certain situations, too. You mentioned that your little side comes out when you're upset over lost loved ones. And that makes sense, since that's one of the worst things that can happen to a person.

With me, it's similar. I've realized that I often go little as a result of stress. As a kid, I got bullied a lot, and learned to be very independent and deal with stress on my own. Now, I find that I regress to being a little girl when I'm trying to relax after a stressful situation. (And I think one reason I regress to being a girl in particular is because I always saw girls as being more free to be scarred and have feelings than boys. Small town experience). So I think it's similar to what you've said here.

And like you said, Frogsy, there are definitely certain things that trigger the experience. For me, it's almost like emotions play a stronger role. Being tired, or having a minute to slow down in the midst of stress, or being anxious - those all bring out the LG feelings. I think it's related to wanting to be comforted or cared for. Then again, sometimes it comes out when I'm happy and relaxed, too. So...it's complicated. Seriously, when's someone going to actually study us? I feel like we'd make a fascinating psych study.
    A member in good standing of the A Been Bullied club. being an emotional kid I was better known as a cry baby. I was not one of the kids that stood up for themselves, mostly I just took it. The few times I did stick up for myslef I ended having to be pulled off some one before I hurt them badly.

Not knowing at the time that I really did have a bladder IC problem , most o the teasing and taunting lead to pants wetting. Then I would get more.

I have always been a kind and gentle person, if that is a crime then I'm guilty.