Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital appointment on Thursday

Default Hospital appointment on Thursday

I've finally got my appointment to see the surgeon to discuss the operation and to try and fully understand what is going to happen and what it will be like after it has been done.

For those of you who are reading and don't know about the operation, the plan is basically to remove the colon as it is having very little to zero movement at all and to re-attach the end of what has been removed (I can't remember exactly what it is) to the rectum. He said at my last appointment when the surgery was offered that by doing this, the need for a colostomy bag will be removed.

I have to say, I've never been so scared in my life. I admit I don't want the operation but it's at the stage now where I can't cope like this anymore. I'm constantly being kept awake by the pains in my stomach and I can't eat anything or even drink anything without it making me feel sick, even fresh fruit and veg

I'm still sort of hoping that they can't do it and they find another solution but that's wishful thinking. After 18 years of being like this (since 4 years old) there's clearly too much damage in there to do anything else, which is what my doctor told me.

I hope everyone is doing well wherever you all are,
    Shaun
    xXx

Best of Luck. My older brother just went throuth the same operation. He is doing much better now after the operation.

God bless you Shaun. My thoughts and prayers go with you. Last April I had to have back surgery, and I didn't want it either. Even though it had less ramifications than your surgery, it was still unnerving. I didn't like going under so deeply, or coming out of the anesthesia, but it was something I had to do. The psyiatic pain was getting to be overwhelming. I couldn't stand up for more than two or three minutes. My surgery was very successful, and I went home the next day. I went back to work two weeks later.

I hope you will do as well as I did. Surgeons are amazing these days, so hopefully your problems will be corrected, and life can be more normal. Hugs.

Hi, I know exactly what you are having done. I have had it done myself. I would like to warn you about a few things. Has your doctor mentioned a J-pouch ever? Also the surgery is much safer if they do a temporary ostomy. that is how my second one went. After they simply reattached the two parts back together I got a serious infection and nearly died because they reattached and did not do a temporary bag. I am not trying to scare you but that is one of the risks with just reattachment. Where are you from? My doctor is like a very well know doctor who does the colon surgeries many times a week. Just mention the J-pouch to your doctor though. It is the way to go. I have had wonderful success since I healed. J-pouch is way safer! Just something to research and concider. I know the surgery you are talking about is less healing time but in the end it could cause more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunk1991 View Post
    I've finally got my appointment to see the surgeon to discuss the operation and to try and fully understand what is going to happen and what it will be like after it has been done.

For those of you who are reading and don't know about the operation, the plan is basically to remove the colon as it is having very little to zero movement at all and to re-attach the end of what has been removed (I can't remember exactly what it is) to the rectum. He said at my last appointment when the surgery was offered that by doing this, the need for a colostomy bag will be removed.

I have to say, I've never been so scared in my life. I admit I don't want the operation but it's at the stage now where I can't cope like this anymore. I'm constantly being kept awake by the pains in my stomach and I can't eat anything or even drink anything without it making me feel sick, even fresh fruit and veg

I'm still sort of hoping that they can't do it and they find another solution but that's wishful thinking. After 18 years of being like this (since 4 years old) there's clearly too much damage in there to do anything else, which is what my doctor told me.

I hope everyone is doing well wherever you all are,
    Shaun
    xXx

Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    Hi, I know exactly what you are having done. I have had it done myself. I would like to warn you about a few things. Has your doctor mentioned a J-pouch ever? Also the surgery is much safer if they do a temporary ostomy. that is how my second one went. After they simply reattached the two parts back together I got a serious infection and nearly died because they reattached and did not do a temporary bag. I am not trying to scare you but that is one of the risks with just reattachment. Where are you from? My doctor is like a very well know doctor who does the colon surgeries many times a week. Just mention the J-pouch to your doctor though. It is the way to go. I have had wonderful success since I healed. J-pouch is way safer! Just something to research and concider. I know the surgery you are talking about is less healing time but in the end it could cause more issues.
    During my last appointment when the operation was offered he didn't go in to detail about it all. It was basically "this is the operation and this is what we will do so you can either make a decision now or go away and think about it and find out what you want to know." There will be more detail during my appointment tomorrow. Thank you, I will mention about that.

I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (U.K)

Thank you for your reply

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    God bless you Shaun. My thoughts and prayers go with you. Last April I had to have back surgery, and I didn't want it either. Even though it had less ramifications than your surgery, it was still unnerving. I didn't like going under so deeply, or coming out of the anesthesia, but it was something I had to do. The psyiatic pain was getting to be overwhelming. I couldn't stand up for more than two or three minutes. My surgery was very successful, and I went home the next day. I went back to work two weeks later.

I hope you will do as well as I did. Surgeons are amazing these days, so hopefully your problems will be corrected, and life can be more normal. Hugs.
    Thank you. I have had other operations and they are also affecting my decision even though brain surgery is different from bowel surgery I can't help but to think what I was like after that.

I'm glad you made a good recovery and I agree, Surgeons are amazing these days. Hopefully after this is all done there will be no more problems.

Hugs xXx

Good luck Shaun - I hope everything works out well.