Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How come Care Bears don't get the same love as My Little Pony?

Default How come Care Bears don't get the same love as My Little Pony?

So, as I've become aware of Bronies I've been wondering why there isn't a retro movement/involvement with Care Bears? Is it because there isn't an easy, catchy name like "brony" that could be used to describe a male who is into Care Bears? Is it because Care Bears weren't strictly a cartoon marketed towards girls to begin with? And where do the Smurfs fit in with all of this?

I was into the 80's CareBear wayyy before My Little Pony G4.

As a boy during the 80s, I never did like MLP until the G4 series came out in 2010/2011.

About 2 years ago they revamped Care Bear series, I heard the name "Belly-Bros" to describe adult fans of this show.

Nothing yet quite compares to MLP: Friendship is Magic, Lauren Faust's magic is all over this one (at least for Season 1 and 2).

It has something to do with My Little Pony being catchy for various reasons. There's the music, the animation style, good voice acting, relatively good plot...
    Compared to the Smurfs, there is value in MLP for people of all ages. The Smurfs are nothing but a metaphor for the battle between communism and capitalism (think about it, I can name you many reasons).

Care Bears... I think the style is a bit outdated and the setting is too much aimed at children. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is aimed at young children and their parents, therefore we see MLP containing jokes one only understands as an adult. Among these are jokes about weddings and bachelor parties, as well as repherences to various movies, like The Big Lebowski.

The combination of these factors make MLP the attractive show it is. That, and maybe some help from going viral through the internet. I don't know; we don't talk about /b/.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxus View Post
    It has something to do with My Little Pony being catchy for various reasons. There's the music, the animation style, good voice acting, relatively good plot...
    I don't know, I just never got into it. I should try and rewatch. Are the earlier episodes available on Youtube?

I really did like the Care Bears, and having little sisters gave me an excuse to watch it (even though I pretended to hate it) but I haven't seen that show since I was a teenager either. My sisters never got into MLP.

Compared to the Smurfs, there is value in MLP for people of all ages. The Smurfs are nothing but a metaphor for the battle between communism and capitalism (think about it, I can name you many reasons).
    Do you really think that much thought went into it? I can see the parallels but I don't believe for a second that people create these cartoons to have a serious political agenda. I think, as adults, we read way too much into them depending on what it is we want to see. I read a book once that claimed the Smurfs were satanic because when one of them was seeing stars, the stars looked like pentagrams. Some cartoons were preachier than others, especially Captain Planet, but I don't think that there were people with hardcore agendas making kids' shows. I do think, though, that some people got away with sneaking a lot of adult references into cartoons, but that's more of a practical joke kind of thing than a nefarious attempt to corrupt young minds.

Care Bears... I think the style is a bit outdated and the setting is too much aimed at children. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is aimed at young children and their parents, therefore we see MLP containing jokes one only understands as an adult. Among these are jokes about weddings and bachelor parties, as well as repherences to various movies, like The Big Lebowski.
    Anything that references Lebowski can't be bad. I might have to watch this.

The recent cartoons haven't been as high quality, for one. I'm both a Pony and Care Bear fan but I'll admit the post-80s cartoons are either an acquired taste or for only a certain type of older person.

The 80s Care Bears has a fandom though. If anything the fandom is better than the general MLP fandom since it revolves around the characters instead of just toy collecting.

I got into the Care Bears a little about six years ago and have been having renewed interest. In
    fact I just watched Care Bears Movie 2: a New Generationfor the second time the other day.

Well, I really enjoy MLP (it's the only show I really follow besides sports, actually). Here's the thing, though; even though I'm an LG and take on a female persona when I regress, I don't regress while watching MLP. I do with other little-girl shows, like Strawberry Shortcake for example, but not with MLP. For me, I think it's a combination of the clever writing and the overall optimism and cheer of the show that makes me enjoy it. There's enough depressing stuff on TV these days!

As for the Care Bear question, I remember watching it a couple of times as a kid in the early 90s, but being pretty neutral on it. I think the characters are really cute, though! Perhaps I'll give it a try.

According to my 6 year old cousin, Care bears is ok because it can be liked by boys but MLP is ONLY for girls. I watch neither but yeah,haha.

MLP and Carebears from the 80's were pretty much 30 min long commercials for toys, at least that's the common conscience.

MLP: Friendship is Magic was designed from the ground up to not insanely boring or childish/girlish like Generation 3 was.

I always hear a few "Daleks" in there.