Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux

Default Linux

Ok so I am trying to get more familiar with Linux. While I was looking at all the linux os I could play with I picked out 4 that I would like. Wanted to know what you think about them?

Open SUSE
    PC Linux OS
    Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Debian

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    Open SUSE
    PC Linux OS
    Haven't used these.

Ubuntu
    Kubuntu
    Debian
    Ubuntu and Kubuntu are really the same distribution, except they have a different default desktop environment. You can actually install one inside the other by installing either ubuntu-desktop or kubuntu-desktop packages respectively.

Also, these are both based on Debian, which use the same package manager. I'd recommend trying Ubuntu. But, just learning the GUI won't make you a *nix guru.

If you're really looking for a learning experience, I'd recommend Gentoo or Arch Linux. Then maybe LFS if you're feeling particularly hardcore. In either case, Ubuntu is at least a good start for getting your feet wet. And, it's not that you can't become a *nix guru, it's just that Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn very much.

I have played with Ubuntu a few times. Kinda like it. But I was going to try Open SUSE. But I went ahead and downloaded Gentoo just for the heck of it. Only have 2 hours left on the download. Grr I hate my internet

I would reccomend Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu is supposed to be easy for many users (haven't bothered with it myself, I don't like GNOME, I prefer KDE).

PCLinuxOS is the easiest to transition to from Windows. It's my favorite distro aswell. It's literally foolproof. You can install it without reformatting windows if you follow the instructions on the website. It is also really good for compatibility. I have had 4 laptops and 2 desktops run Linux. From the LiveCD, every single hardware component ran (except for one stupid wireless adapter which barely ran even on Windows).

However it's one disadvantage, is it's easiest the least popular distro on the list, so for some less popular applications, your either going to have to compile it yourself or give the Mandrake/Mandriva RPMs a go (they work about 80% of the time).

If you're really looking for a learning experience, I'd recommend Gentoo or Arch Linux. Then maybe LFS if you're feeling particularly hardcore. In either case, Ubuntu is at least a good start for getting your feet wet. And, it's not that you can't become a *nix guru, it's just that Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn very much.
    It's because of this that Ubuntu has become so popular to those who take the plunge into Linux. I know, because Ubuntu is what got me away from Windows way back on 6.06! Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn much, but the doors are there for you to walk through if you want, which is phenomenal. Ubuntu is a great place to start off your Linux learning.

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    It's because of this that Ubuntu has become so popular to those who take the plunge into Linux. I know, because Ubuntu is what got me away from Windows way back on 6.06! Ubuntu doesn't force you to learn much, but the doors are there for you to walk through if you want, which is phenomenal. Ubuntu is a great place to start off your Linux learning.
    Oh I totally agree. This is, after all, a good thing. But I know that baby_mike has been working on some tech support type things, and so I thought it might be good for him to get more technical background with Linux, that's all.

Oh no, I wasn't downing you at all! Sorry if it came off that way :P. While he's at it, he should also try Solaris, Fedora, Red Hat, and HeliOS (not all at once, of course :P).

I would suggest you get Ubuntu to start out with and then Arch Linux. They're based off the same base system, but Arch is compiled more to your system. It looks hard to compile/install, but it's not if you read the documentation, which is GOD. Check out Archlinux.org and ask some questions there. It's real helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    If you're really looking for a learning experience, I'd recommend Gentoo or Arch Linux. Then maybe LFS if you're feeling particularly hardcore. In either case, Ubuntu is at least a good start for getting your feet wet.
    Pffft. My first experience with Linux was in 1995 with Slackware, installed from about 10 floppies. Back when Linux couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fry your video card with a bad X configuration.

(Uphill both ways!) But I digress...

If you're looking for a good *nix experience, I would recommend FreeBSD. I find its ports system insanely good and no-nonsense. And, of course, FreeBSD is built for performance (as opposed to OpenBSD, built for security).

If you want to stick to Linux proper, you should work with a couple different distributions to get your feet wet. I'd recommend:
    • Knoppix
    • RedHat
    • Debian
    • Gentoo
    • Suse

That should give you reasonable exposure to different system layouts, package management, and System V compliance.

Okay, this is somewhat esoteric - here's some more immediate advice:
    1. Join a local Linux Users' Group (LUG)
    2. Pick up some issues of Linux Journal
    3. X (Windows) is a good thing, but learn your way around the Command-Line Interface (CLI) - it's powerful!