Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do cloth diapers start tearing nonetheless

Default Do cloth diapers start tearing nonetheless

I don't even use bleach and they are still ripping and falling apart and so are the middles. Is this normal for cloth? I know they wear out after a while. I should start buying more.

If you machine wash them the Normal setting might be too harsh, especially when using hot water. Could also be something in the detergent but you'd probably notice the same thing happening with regulr clothes. Maybe the diapers themselves are being overused, then again it might be the whole "they don't make it like they used to"

It depend s a lot on your washing machine. I think a top loading machine can be harder on fabrics than a front loader. Also check the condition of the agitator.
    Any worn or sharp edges can do damage to your clothes or in this case diapers. Also check the condition of the tub on the inside for damage.
    I would think any diaper made with quality stitching should last for years.

robbw

I have some cloth diapers that are 5 or 6 years old that are still fine.

The washing machine is brand new and it's top loader, I use it on hot water setting and have it on whites because I read that is what you use to wash diapers. The whites is the highest setting for hot water. I have always used Tide and I think it's the wear and tear because I am wearing them all the time now and last time I didn't wear them long enough to need to keep on washing them for months to see the results. I still have a very few that are okay but the others I got from ebay from Big baby Botigue are not. Even some of my son's have ripped too but the others are okay. I think it has to do with how they are made. Even clothes wear out too and start to tear like one of my shirts did I wore as a night shirt. My husband's pants rip too when they are worn out.

I think your right on the quality of the diaper. From materials used to the sewing and so on. I don't use flats or prefolds so I don't of all the vendors who sell
    quality diapers. I use Dependeco AIO's which are made of quality material and manufacture by Monika. I also hand wash and air dry mine as I don't have acess
    to laundry facilities. I expect mine to last for several years.

I'm surprised Cottontail hasn't weighed in on this yet. I'm sure he'll have some good comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I don't even use bleach and they are still ripping and falling apart and so are the middles. Is this normal for cloth? I know they wear out after a while. I should start buying more.
    What kind of diapers are they, curiously? Prefolds, something fitted, ...? What kind of fabric? Big Baby Boutique doesn't appear to have any diapers for sale at the moment.

How exactly are they falling apart? Is the material disintegrating, or are the seams popping, or... both?

Really, you shouldn't have trouble with the material disintegrating unless you've either washed your diapers a bazillion times or used bleach on them (which you didn't do). If seams are popping and the layers are separating from each other, then I'd simply blame bad sewing. Some of the cloth diapers made for the AB/DL market are excessively thick. When washed, they swell even thicker, and if the thread size and tension weren't chosen to account for this, you'll end up popping seams. Plus, thick diapers just don't come clean very easily, so they're best avoided. Fortunately, with cloth, it's super easy to just add a cloth booster or prefold or something if you want an extra-padded tush.

Just a bit of guessing and rambling. Sorry!

I have a large rotation of prefolds in both adult and baby sizes, twill and gauze fabrics, new and vintage. So far, they're all holding up. I wash and dry everything on high heat and use regular old All detergent -- nothing fancy. If the heat makes my diapers wear out a little quicker, I probably won't notice, as I'm not wearing more than a few times each weak. At that rate, I expect they'll last "forever." Or at least quite a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    I'm surprised Cottontail hasn't weighed in on this yet. I'm sure he'll have some good comments.
    Hehe. Or at least some irrelevant data points!

I wash my diapers all the time. Now they never smell fresh anymore like they used to. I use vinegar and it still doesn't make them smell fresh. I think this just means time to get new diapers. They are just falling apart is all and are now ripping. I have had these for four years and they lasted me a while because I didn't wear them 24/7 to keep on washing the for months and months or two times a week or three. Bleach just wears them out faster.

Like any piece of fabric or clothing, diapers get old and threadbare with continued use and washing. The world is sliding toward maximum entropy, taking your diapers with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I use vinegar and it still doesn't make them smell fresh. I think this just means time to get new diapers. They are just falling apart is all and are now ripping.
    Vinegar isn't as bad as bleach, but it is an acid, and is a little harsh on materials. I don't know if by "ripping" you mean the actual fabric is tearing, or the threaded areas are coming loose. (threads in seams breaking) Different materials react differently to chemicals. It's possible the material in the threads has become brittle or shrunk with exposure to vinegar?