Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are baby diapers getting thinner and thinner?

Default why are baby diapers getting thinner and thinner?

A thread has lead me to a question that has been on my mind for a while: why this push for thinner baby diapers? Why the desire for concealment? Its not like a parent needs to be embarrassed because their drooling bundle of joy cant control his pee or poop and so must wear diapers like every other baby his age? Is it economics? or is it that we have run out of things to compete with each other over and so the new beat the jones is: look!!!!!!My 10 month old isn't wearing a diaper...See no bubble butt....

I don't think it has anything to do with parental vanity, nor with the baby's comfort, nor with the environment (though the latter two are often cited as reasons). I'm pretty sure the only reason the business is going in this direction is because it's cheaper. Thinner diapers use less material and occupy less space, and these things factor strongly in the cost of production, shipment, storage, etc. Pretty sure that's (almost) all there is to it.

EDIT: Well, ok, there is a real convenience factor to it also. I would prefer to toss a small package containing 23 diapers into my shopping cart versus two giant boxes of 12 Pampers each like I would have had to do back in the 60's and 70's. Babies use a lot of diapers, so diaper density is handy.

Of course, as DLs, we're a bit... different... with our diaper preferences. I certainly wouldn't mind if Pampers were still most of an inch thick, but I do definitely get why they're not.

I missed the Thick Pampers and Pamper Phases too. The Attends with waist bands and with the blue tapes had great padding. Now Attends with waist bands are so thin I had to pick a new daytime diaper. I hope most diapers don't go this was either. But I think its the economics and technology pushing for this too.

Here is my take on it- society is so concerned with discreet wearing
    Even during infant stages. I feel like discreet and protection quality have
    Lost their balance over the years honestly

Remember those huge maxi-pads woman used to wear for periods and why they were downsized? I would guess the same applies to baby diapers too.

Although, unlike the higher age group - babies don't really give a crap on how bulky their protection is.

This sort of worries me a little bit. Because diapers are getting thinner and thinner, will that mean the next generation will like ultra-thin diapers? Because virtually all of us were born in pre-1995, we are used to the plastic thicker diapers when we were little. This gives me a slight concern that we may see a trend towards thinner, slimmer diapers amongst DL's within the next few decades.. this is giving me a thread idea. *runs away*

Hmm, this makes me wonder if those manufacturers (Aww So Cute, Fabines etc) that cater more too the AB/DL market will reduce prices?

This may be a blessing in disguise.

Technology has evolved so that a diaper requires less absorbent material to hold the same amount. Less material per diaper is less cost per diaper.

Of course, the savings are passed down to the buyer... not.

I think because babies also find them uncomfortable for them to wear so they make them thinner so they are more comfortable to wear. Back in the days the thicker they were, the more they held but technology has changed so they know how to make them thinner but have them still hold more. Even in'93, diapers were thinner compared to the ones in 1986. But I actually liked the thick feeling but not everyone does. Even pads were thick too and women also hated wearing them because they didn't like the bulge feeling and the feeling of wearing a diaper. But by the time I got my period, pads were made thin by then so I missed those days of thick pads.

I am betting diapers are cheaper now than they were in the 60's and 70's when only small amount came in a box vs 22 or 32 coming in a pack and you can buy in bulk now. Early as '96 you could buy in bulk because my next door neighbor did for her two year old son. I think my Mom also bought in bulk too because I remember seeing a huge Pampers box and it was bigger than the boxes now diapers come in and it was back in '91.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet I know another reason, parents don't want other people knowing their kid is still in diapers because people tend to judge. If your kid is still wearing them at age two or at age three, they think you're a lazy parent or not trying hard enough and no parent likes to be judged. So discreet diapers means other people won't know your kid is still in them and you don't have to be embarrassed going out in public having it be obvious your kid is diapered.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I bet I know another reason, parents don't want other people knowing their kid is still in diapers because people tend to judge. If your kid is still wearing them at age two or at age three, they think you're a lazy parent or not trying hard enough and no parent likes to be judged. So discreet diapers means other people won't know your kid is still in them and you don't have to be embarrassed going out in public having it be obvious your kid is diapered.
    I've known parents who tried to start potty-training their kids way too young. I keep my opinions to myself but I think, yep, THERE's a future DL in the making. Selfish parents who either want to compete with other parents in the race of who can potty-train their kid first, or who don't want to wait until the kid is ready because they don't like changing diapers. But yeah, a little off topic...