Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Weight without falling back into bad habits

Default Losing Weight without falling back into bad habits

Bad Habits = a variety of starving, binging/purging, and over-excercising. Things I did from the ages of 10-15 off/on in order to lose weight.

I'm currently 184 lbs and 5'4. Which isn't good, and I make no excuses for my excessive eating in the last years. The thing is, I need help to get back to a healthier number. But I become triggered by the littlest things. If I choose to eat better it's like my brain is telling me that if I can eat better, then I can eat less..and then I go back into this pattern of destruction. So several years ago I gave up in trying to lose, simply so my bad habits wouldn't kill me faster than just simply overeating.

I recognized a problem in me, and stopped it after several years. But it still hasn't changed this desire to overeat on a weekly basis. So yeah. I need to lose weight now more than ever, and if I don't it will only become worse. Does anyone have any advice in how I can begin to lose weight without these bad habits showing their ugly heads?

Thanks! <3

I still engage in my bad eating habits, but I tend to counteract them with consistent forced activity, and I've made great strides in the past 5 years as far as my overall habits.

My advice is don't hide indoors because of your size, force yourself to be active in situations that might otherwise see you being lazy, and don't be ridiculous and unrealistic about it all. If you overeat, recognize it as a fact that might need adjustment and not something to be ashamed of. Also, eat regularly and reasonably - not too much, and preferably not like a tiny bunny either. Also, try to eat slower, one of my own biggest struggles since I've been eating like a famished horse since about an hour after I was born. If you eat slower, you will feel more full because your body takes a while to register the presence of food.

Mainly, don't give up, and don't see it too much as some sort of mountainous goal, and just something you're integrating into your life. Even after you reach your ideal weight threshold, you'll want to be reasonable with the eating and activity level.

Good luckens!

I used to weigh 178lbs - and at 4'11" ...not good at all. The first things I did was:

-Get ALL junk food out of the house! (soda, chips, ice cream, etc...) all of it - gone. It's easier to avoid eating bad food at home when it's not even in the house.
    -Swapped sparkling water for soda. I get the lemon and orange flavored Ozarka sparking water. So it tastes like more than just "fizzy water". (two bottles of it are also cheaper than a 12pk of soda where I live)
    - Drink more water in general.
    -Lower salt intake
    -Avoid processed foods (no drive-thru, HFCS, etc... if you can't pronounce or identify whats on the ingredient list as occurring naturally in nature; its best to avoid it)
    -Cook more veggies and lean meats. Chicken can get repetitive, but don't forget about spices! Spices are your friend. "Mrs. Dash" varieties are my favorites, and they have no salt.
    -I use smaller plates to help with portion control (using a dessert plate as a regular plate, and only eating one plate per 3 regular meals/day)
    -Go grocery shopping with a list and an ally if you need to. (so you don't justify buying things that are bad for you.) When I'm starting to cave on my eating habits, I take my friend and give her my list and ask her to make me stick to it. It also helps with budgeting finances since you don't overbuy.

Also, I hop on a stationary bike just twice a week for 20min a day with my ipod and an audio book. Not a difficult or strenuous workout at all (plus a story).
    After 4 months, I'm now down to 163lbs and feel much better.

Dropping weight slowly is also better for your body. So don't worry about getting caught up in numbers. Bodies are not meant to metabolize shedding (for example) 10lbs in a week. As long as you eat better, watch the portions, and try to avoid chemically-altered or processed foods, and things like High Fructose Corn Syrup; it will happen.

I know you can do it Strawberry!

Plus, don't forget - you've got us here rooting for you! If you need some support, come talk to us.

Hi there I have to keep myself in shape as part of my job, another part is getting people that I work with who let them selves go back in shape. One thing I tell guys and gals that have to drop pounds and inches is to snack smart (carrots, celery, tomato's, grapefruit, apples...) eat at regular intervals and drink plenty of water. the basics of a good general diet. I always let my self cheat one day a week I don't have to give up all the things I love and one day a week wont destroy all the things you accomplish during the week.

I tend to hit the working out portion with them a lot more one because I personally feel great after working out and you have to burn more calories than you put in to actually lose weight. one thing people don't realize is that if you run and run for hours on end your body can save and store fat. It thinks it is constantly on the run and it will save what energy it takes in just like what happens when it thinks it is starving. If you do a 30 to 45 minute workout that incorporates light weights at higher repetitions and cardio that raises and lowers your heart rate (like rowing machined or 100 yard sprints) in intervals you will see a great improvement. replace what weight you lose in a work out with water after your workout, it will make you feel fuller so you don't over eat and your needs water to increase your metabolism.

even evening walking will help and if you I like to go after dinner to settle my stomach. stay positive and don't dwell on weight alone. If your weight stays the same for a week but you lose an inch on your stomach you are still moving forward.

hope this helps

Hello

I have posted this advice before, but here it is again.

Do not drink anything 30 minutes before, during, or 30 minutes after you eat. This keeps you from washing certain food right through you stomach and it helps you digest the food better. It also will cause you to eat only about 1/3 of what you use to eat.

Also chew your food more at least 12 times but more is better(closer to 20 times). As someone has already suggested use a smaller plate and beware of proportion distortion.

Also remember your serving sizes; Protein should be the size of a deck of playing cards, vegetables should be the size of two golf balls, same is true of the starches. The one thing that I had to change is the order and I do the protein first, then the vegetables and the starches are last.

It is ok to drink a reasonable amount of fluids during the day to stay hydrated but get in the habit of no fluids with your meal and the weight will come off before you know it. I did this on my own for the preparation for my bariatric surgery and I reduced 75 lbs in six months.

Of course this is me and my materialism, but it is worth trying for you. Just remember it is hard to break the habit of not drinking with your meal.

The other thing is DO NOT WORK AT LOSING WEIGHT, work on REDUCING you weight. If you LOSE it it will come back. Imagine your self with a set of lost keys. You will always have keys in your hand.

Good luck.

I think what Strawberry is asking is actually how to lose weight without risking falling back into patterns of her previous eating disorders. She's saying that if she starts eating less, she'll begin eating too much less and/or throwing up her food. Those healthy ideas you guys suggested are totally great ideas for someone who doesn't have a history of eating disorders. Unfortunately Strawberry's mind seems to be working differently now than a regular person who needs to shed some pounds. Telling strawberry to eat only 1200 calories a day is sort of like telling an ex-smoker to just try one cigarette again, without smoking the whole pack and then buying a carton the first chance they get. She'll likely go down and down and down until her calories are no longer healthy.

Unfortunately this means you might not be able to do this on your own Strawberry. The problem you have isn't with food itself, or laziness, or anything like that. The problem you have is with your body image and your self-esteem and with your relationship to food. Your situation is about your emotions more than your actions. So I would wager a bet that you need a lot of help with your emotions, first, and then you can work on a very closely monitored diet plan with a therapist or your doctor. It will be easier and safer like that - with help - than trying to do this on your own. You have a deeper issue than just a preference for sweets. You need to heal up your mind before you do anything else, because like you said, you can be easily triggered into going back to eating disorders.

This isn't your fault of anything Strawberry. It appears there may be genetic links. And even if it's not genetic, it's not your fault. There's plenty of reasons why people have eating disorders. I'm assuming that your emotional relationship to food is how you ended up over-indulging of late. That's okay, too, and also not your fault. But you have the ability and the frame of mind to do something about it now, and you made an amazing first step of posting for help here. Now you really should see a therapist, and explain your history and current situation to him/her. I honestly wouldn't suggest doing any kind of diet plan without some mental health help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    I think what Strawberry is asking is actually how to lose weight without risking falling back into patterns of her previous eating disorders. She's saying that if she starts eating less, she'll begin eating too much less and/or throwing up her food. Those healthy ideas you guys suggested are totally great ideas for someone who doesn't have a history of eating disorders. Unfortunately Strawberry's mind seems to be working differently now than a regular person who needs to shed some pounds. Telling strawberry to eat only 1200 calories a day is sort of like telling an ex-smoker to just try one cigarette again, without smoking the whole pack and then buying a carton the first chance they get. She'll likely go down and down and down until her calories are no longer healthy.

Unfortunately this means you might not be able to do this on your own Strawberry. The problem you have isn't with food itself, or laziness, or anything like that. The problem you have is with your body image and your self-esteem and with your relationship to food. Your situation is about your emotions more than your actions. So I would wager a bet that you need a lot of help with your emotions, first, and then you can work on a very closely monitored diet plan with a therapist or your doctor. It will be easier and safer like that - with help - than trying to do this on your own. You have a deeper issue than just a preference for sweets. You need to heal up your mind before you do anything else, because like you said, you can be easily triggered into going back to eating disorders.
    A dietician and therapist are the only real option then, you can't really solo-diet as a recovered anorexic/bulimic without falling back into old habits.

From experience I can say that the only two real bad habits is lethargy and overeating. I would recommend you still eat whatever you want except in smaller portions (i.e. one slice of pizza vs two). Your stomach will eventually shrink to feel full with the reduced caloric intake. Combating lethargy is a little harder as you'll have to put in a lot of effort into sticking with an exercise schedule. I personally found it easier to set a time in the day for running and simply walk out the door without thinking twice about it. After a few weeks you'll be yearning to go out to see if you can beat your record time.

Well its sounds simple but.. stop buying bad snack foods, buy healthier snacks. Start cooking healthy and avoid going to fast food places. Starta simple daily ecercise routine, nothing much, but enough to get you to sweat.

Ive lost 75 lbs this last year from doing that. No fancy diet or anything, just eating less and only buying healthy foods.

I just bought some Agar Agar and am trying it to loose my hunger pains (yes I overeat like crazy and have become tubby.)

For Agar Agar this is what I just tried... Bring one cup of water to a gentle boil, add one teaspoon (measure) of agar agar to the (gently) boiling water and stir in to dissolve, allow to boil (gently) for between 1-5 minutes (I did mine for 4) and remove from the heat. I added this to a mug with a shot of coffee/dandelion root and drunk it before it cooled down to much (or it solidifies.)

20 minutes later sure enough my hunger pains subsided remarkably. I did some gently exercise and followed it up with a protein shake and an hour later a banana and don't feel hungry where normally by now (10am) I would be psychotically starving.

Gonna try this for a few weeks, probably do the Agar Agar thing 20 minutes before a meal (you can use tea etc not just coffee) and try to have a small portion of veggie soup with quinoa rather than say pizza/pasta and see how I go.

Agar Agar doesn't have any taste BTW, if you cook it as a above and let it cool down it will set to a clear tasteless jelly (even at room temperature.) I understand you can add it to soup etc so it gives you more of a full feeling eating a meal as well.