Thread: Dodged a bullet in traffic court

Default Dodged a bullet in traffic court

May 30 of this year I was stopped and cited by a motor officer for 21543a - rolling right turn on red. Usually nobody ever beats the charge.

I decided to contest it even though I had no 'bail' to pay up front. I walked up to the court window and requested to see a judge. They gave me a date to appear before a traffic commissioner who gave me the options of going to see the collections clerk to work out a payment plan or to request a court trial.
    When the commissioner said the fine wouldn't be reduced I chose to plead Not Guilty. They gave me appointment for 9-19 (today) and I got there an hour before the scheduled time.

The different cops from the nearby towns began to congregate on 1 end of the hallway. My heart was pounding as bad as getting my diaper spotted the day before. The sheriff opened the door to the courtroom finally and my accuser never showed, even though I expected him to at any second.

My name was the 3rd called, a woman before me had the same officer and the commissioner announced "dismissed".

This is mainly just to say that if you get a ticket and you're not entirely in the wrong you don't automatically have to take the hit. It is possible that they realize they don't have a solid case and would rather you just assumed guilt and paid an unjust fine

A lot of people around here will go to traffic court regardless of whether they think they were in the right or not, because usually they'll knock it down a bit to try and save having to do a trial and/or the cop who wrote the ticket might just not show up. Personally I disagree with this, I figure if you did the crime, wasting tax dollars hoping to get off on luck is a shitty thing to do. That said, if you think you were given the ticket wrongly (which I assume from the end of your post), then that's exactly why we have a court system.

Personally I've gotten 3 tickets in my life. 2 for speeding (both of which I didn't make a fuss over because I was totally speeding..), and 1 for not having my insurance card on me (cop believed me so he didn't tow my car and just wrote the ticket (which I was pretty happy about), went down to the court and showed my proof of insurance like the cop told me to, and they dismissed the charge).

We hear about all the times the system doesn't work, but I honestly think 95% of the time it really does work. I know all my dealings with it have been fair enough.

You were extremely lucky. It is not a given that if the cop doesn't show it's going to get dismissed in California.
    Even in states where that is true, it's uncommon for a cop to miss his court dates. But you can always hope to win the lottery.

It sounds like you all live in police states. In Virginia, everyone roles right through red lights. We have a million laws on the books, and almost none of them are enforced. Everyone waits at a green light and makes sure the people going through the red side have finally stopped. No one cares.

acorn

A convoluted story; Not dissimilar, got pulled for speeding. The two penalty points would double and court costs incurred, if the fine went unpaid. The case went to court, my antagonist did not show up. The judge being a penis erectus fine specimen was going to put back the case for another day. I was lucky I was packing a brief, she asked for a strikeout. The judge looked to the court sergeant for direction. Here the court sergeant at his own discretion, can take the case over for the persecutor prosecution. He was fully aware of the circumstances and refused the case. I was lucky to have had a brief with me for the ‘member’ on the bench would have done me. I got my strikeout and the vulture had to look elsewhere for easy pickings.

What I would generally advise anybody is, if you wish to make the acquaintance of robo-cop, try to refrain from doing so while he is on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    It sounds like you all live in police states. In Virginia, everyone roles right through red lights. We have a million laws on the books, and almost none of them are enforced. Everyone waits at a green light and makes sure the people going through the red side have finally stopped. No one cares.
    I watched an old man (my father) cross the street in Manhatten NY, about 50yds from a crossing. About four cops nearby having observed this spectacle just moved along. They probably thought that if he could do that, he could walk on water as well.

When I was in Florida a few years ago, if you were unlucky enough to be on the crossing after the lights changed, you were fair game. Drivers there would do their utmost to ensure you would never transgress again. I would swear that on one occasion cars were falling out of the sky in effort to get me.

To the letter of the law here a green light means you may proceed only so long as it is safe to do so and you have a clear path.

This might work in a more populated area where not everyone knows everyone else. If you're in small town America, though, you're hosed. I got pulled over for "running a red light, when in reality the light was green when I entered and turned orange while I was under it. The cop specifically noted that I wasn't speeding, wasn't doing anything else, but he just couldn't figure out why I ran that red light (because I didn't!). This was in one of those towns of only a few thousand people that is just big enough to make one slow down on the state highway (two lane road) that leads to places that people might actually be interesting.

I decided to fight the ticket, which meant going to the courthouse in another small town out in the damned sticks somewhere. I had a sinking feeling when I saw the docket at the courtroom door, and the entire docket was [Officer's Name]: Disobey Red Light. I found it suspicious when the cop started trying to get me to admit I had done something wrong before the case started, and even more suspicious when, after a couple of minutes of small talk between the cop and the judge, the judge actually asked us if we "had come to an agreement yet." I realized the entire game was rigged afterward. About 3/4 of the way through the proceeding, the court clerk printed out a paper and handed it to the judge for him to sign. He signed it, barely looking it it, then finished hearing the case.

The piece of paper? The official ruling of the court. He literally signed the official ruling of the court before he had finished hearing the case and announced the decision. I got stuck with "Disobey Yellow Signal," the same points as if I'd run red, and a slightly lower fine.

lol here in kalamazoo, MI, Green means "Mash it!!!"
    god I love living in a college town.......

I'm glad you dodged the bullet. Yes, a lot of this stuff is just revenue generation.

That said <steps up on soap box, clears throat ominously>, right on red is the worst idea in the history of traffic laws. If you're a pedestrian or cyclist, right on red made every intersection with a signal potentially life-threatening. Its actually safer crossing in the middle of a block because then at least you know they're not going to stop and you can judge accordingly.

"Oh, if I'd seen you I would have stopped" is small consolation as they scoop you into the ambulance.

Once you get in the bad habit of rolling through, its inevitable that a day will come when there's someone there that you don't see, counting on the fact that you're supposed to stop. Traffic laws exist to give us a reasonable expectation of what the other guy is going to do. To those of you who roll through......may your diapers leak at the worst possible moment.

<steps down off soap box>

and now back to your original thread, already in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    You were extremely lucky. It is not a given that if the cop doesn't show it's going to get dismissed in California.
    Even in states where that is true, it's uncommon for a cop to miss his court dates. But you can always hope to win the lottery.
    Frankly, this seems a bit like gaming the system to me. It's common to put all the challenges to tickets by a certain cop on one day. That way a cop can spend one working day in court every few weeks rather than 20 minutes every day. He probably never showed up because none of his tickets were scheduled to be contested that day.