Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse ic

Default Reverse ic

A relative of mine recently had intestinal surgery. As he recuperated, he was naturally hooked up to a catheter. Now that he has been released from the hospital, he cannot urinate on his own and still uses a catheter. He is under a doctor's care and has a nurse come and see him everyday. I'm not close enough to know any more about the specifics, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or maybe even encountered this? Thanks!

I had a neighbor who was confined to a wheelchair and had this; he was prescribed powerful diuretics throughout the day. In his case he had spinal cord damage due to a fall from a roof

I remember the pills I was on made me unable to pee and it turned out the dosage was too high so they lowered it.

What pills were they Calico, if I may ask (PM me if necessary)?

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    A relative of mine recently had intestinal surgery. As he recuperated, he was naturally hooked up to a catheter. Now that he has been released from the hospital, he cannot urinate on his own and still uses a catheter. He is under a doctor's care and has a nurse come and see him everyday. I'm not close enough to know any more about the specifics, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of this or maybe even encountered this? Thanks!
    I understand you are talking about foley's?
    Medicine is not my field of expertise, diverticular disease can result in a passage between the bladder and large colon (and all that, that entails). Age and or a reaction to anesthetic can be other factors to look at. For a specific reason you would need details of his initial problem, but no personally I'd not be too concerned just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    I understand you are talking about foley's?
    Medicine is not my field of expertise, diverticular disease can result in a passage between the bladder and large colon (and all that, that entails). Age and or a reaction to anesthetic can be other factors to look at. For a specific reason you would need details of his initial problem, but no personally I'd not be too concerned just yet.
    I'm not close enough to know if it's Foley's. Probably is. It was a diverticulitis situation and he is older. It's been two weeks since discharge. I'm starting to worry, but you have pointed out some other good factors to think about. Thanks!

acorn

I'm not close enough to know if it's Foley's. Probably is. It was a diverticulitis situation and he is older. It's been two weeks since discharge. I'm starting to worry, but you have pointed out some other good factors to think about. Thanks!
    If the external diameter of the tube is less than 10mm it is assuredly a foley. Given all said now, the only thing I'd worry about is cleanliness with that device, and watch for signs of infections. You would find some good tips on the web- med sites on that. In short relax, it is early days yet.

What pills were they Calico, if I may ask (PM me if necessary)?

Imaprimine. (sp)

This is really interesting, last year I had my large bowel removed and recently I have had to begin self catheterising (it was initially thought to be linked to my spinal problems, but now it its thought more to do with my abdominal surgery) After I came out of theatre I was catheterised but it was removed the next day, but 3 times this year I have had complete retention where I was taken into hospital (the 2nd time resulted in kidney failure, liver failure, pneumonia and sepsis, however the organ failure could have been triggered by either urine backing up to my kidneys, or it could have been that I have a kidney disease called IgA nephropathy which is aggravated by severe infections) Anyway...

I am able to pass about 700mls 'naturally' and other 3-500ml has to be done by catheter for me. But it depends how invasive his surgery was, because I opted for the anatomisis opposed to the colostomy bag which links the small intestine to what's left of the rectum. However I have been now told that my surgery was much closer to the bladder nerves, and whatever happened must have been fairly significant damage as a recent urodynamics study showed my bladder does not contract at all and I am solely using my stomach muscles to pass urine. But also certain meds can cause retention, I was only duloxetine for neuropathic pain and depression, when I switched to amytriplyline for the pain and citalopram for the depression I was able to pass slightly more naturally. So get him to check any meds he's on that could cause it too.

However when I went for my surgery I wasn't told that this was a potential risk, only that I may shit myself now and again (thank god that's never happened) so I don't know, however I'm now seeing a solicitor about taking legal action for the NHS missing a spinal compression on 9, YES 9! admissions to A&E/ER in 4 months. So I might eventually find out what really happened.