Thread: California man whose dog was killed by cops faces up to five years in prison

Default California man whose dog was killed by cops faces up to five years in prison

California man whose dog was killed by cops faces up to five years in prison

This guy is a really good dog owner and a stand up citizen. intentional harassing police at a active crime scene, not securing his dog when he knew he was getting arrested. Now he tried to intimidate some one to not testify against him.

I feel sorry the dog had such a idiotic owner.

I saw this video. What I saw in the original viral video was that this guy seemed to be recording some kind of police investigation on his cell phone, like the people behind him were also doing. He was making comments to the police that I couldn't hear. The police seemed to ask him to stop or something, and I guess he didn't. (Is there a law about video taping police?) He put his dog into his car (when the police asked to talk to him?). The police seemed to go from talking to cuffing in short order. Then the dog got upset and squirmed his way through a half-shut window, barely getting out at all. Then the police shot his dog for what most viewers said was no apparent reason, but I think the police were stressed out and upset and the dog startled them and they made a bad rushed decision. But the dog hadn't bit anyone or attempted to bite anyone, which is why viewers got outraged at the video.

The second video shows a little more of why the police were upset with this man, and that it was his car playing the loud music (I didn't realize that in the first video honestly). But I don't think being generally rude and annoying accounts for five years in prison. I'm not sure what all this is about attempting to hurt witnesses - I'm just saying, that based on the videos I'm seeing - being a generally disrespectful person isn't worth five years in prison. We don't want to fear the police's power - that leads to very bad, Orwellian things.

Edit - apparently the five years is for something to do with witnesses at the scene and not the events on the street. I guess what bothers me is why he was arrested for acting like a jerk. I don't like when people act like jerks, but I wouldn't imagine that it's a crime worth arresting someone over. If acting like a jerk was a common thing people got arrested for, like 95% of Americans would have at least spent a weekend in jail for this crime! Probably me, too, at lots of points, seeing as I'm no perfect angel all the time. I think they should have told him to turn off his music and go stand back further where the other people were. Why'd they arrest him so quickly just for being annoying???
    Last edited by Frogsy; 17-Sep-2013 at 19:42. Reason: Added something.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    I saw this video. What I saw in the original viral video was that this guy seemed to be recording some kind of police investigation on his cell phone, like the people behind him were also doing. He was making comments to the police that I couldn't hear. The police seemed to ask him to stop or something, and I guess he didn't. (Is there a law about video taping police?) He put his dog into his car (when the police asked to talk to him?). The police seemed to go from talking to cuffing in short order. Then the dog got upset and squirmed his way through a half-shut window, barely getting out at all. Then the police shot his dog for what most viewers said was no apparent reason, but I think the police were stressed out and upset and the dog startled them and they made a bad rushed decision. But the dog hadn't bit anyone or attempted to bite anyone, which is why viewers got outraged at the video.

The second video shows a little more of why the police were upset with this man, and that it was his car playing the loud music (I didn't realize that in the first video honestly). But I don't think being generally rude and annoying accounts for five years in prison. I'm not sure what all this is about attempting to hurt witnesses - I'm just saying, that based on the videos I'm seeing - being a generally disrespectful person isn't worth five years in prison. We don't want to fear the police's power - that leads to very bad, Orwellian things.

Edit - apparently the five years is for something to do with witnesses at the scene and not the events on the street. I guess what bothers me is why he was arrested for acting like a jerk. I don't like when people act like jerks, but I wouldn't imagine that it's a crime worth arresting someone over. If acting like a jerk was a common thing people got arrested for, like 95% of Americans would have at least spent a weekend in jail for this crime! Probably me, too, at lots of points, seeing as I'm no perfect angel all the time. I think they should have told him to turn off his music and go stand back further where the other people were. Why'd they arrest him so quickly just for being annoying???
    the charges are from going to the house of the person who gave police video to support the police departments clais. The guy went to the persons house and threaten violence on the person and their child if they testified against him in court, this ended up giving him 4 or 6 different felony charges.

Also the whole incident was at least 10 mins long if not longer. The guy wanted to get as closed to officers as he could, wanted to annoy them by playing music from his rental car far to loudly. When the story first made waves nationally almost 3 months ago, people were far to quick to blame the officers.

Ah, thanks Fire, that does explain things a lot better. I can understand why he was charged so badly after threatening violence on a person and their child! Yikes. I can see why the police were so frustrated with his behavior while they were trying to do an investigation, especially if it went on and on and on for so long. Maybe they did try to warn him once or twice and it wasn't shown on video??

This is a good example, overall, of seeing things from different points of view. I still don't think anyone was truly 'in the right.' It looks like huge errors in judgment were made on both sides of this! It is such a shame that an innocent dog got caught right up in a big mess of human error.

People of that ilk; treating animals as another piece of furniture, my mother was once married to someone like that - he got the Rottweiler to complement his Harley and his lifted Blazer, and yes he turned out to be a bad egg. Where there's smoke there's fire - or where there's loud music and an aggressive-looking dog, there's a witness intimidator

acorn

Here in Ireland the dog would be required to wear a muzzle, also the extendable leash would not be acceptable under any circumstances.

When he placed the dog in the car, he neglected to ensure it was securely contained. The police should have made him correct that last oversight before the arrest. Once the dog was free the police had no way to exert control without taking it down, this is despite the fact as shown the dog was patently useless, it displayed a strong reluctance to attack.

I would hold opinion on all else; as it is not clear as to whether or not the man lived inside the corned off area, that would go towards his reason for being irate. He made a major FU when he later approached witnesses, for if no other transgression hangs him - that one alone will do the job.