Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington Navy Yard Shooting

Default Washington Navy Yard Shooting

Watching the latest press conference the death toll is now 13.
    The shooter has been indentified Aaron Alexis. This will start up another
    gun control debate. The next question is how did it happen?

That includes the shooter.
    Last edited by oleman72; 16-Sep-2013 at 21:44. Reason: updated

We're still having gun debates because of the biggest shootings from the past two years.

Either way, there's no easy answers and there's nothing that will prevent another massacre. CNN reported that officers were engaging the guy in a firefight within 2 mins from shots first fired, and back up arrived withing another 5 mins and they started to clear the building and corner the suspect. Still 13 people including the gunman died so its almost or just as bad as the shooting from fort hood a few years ago.

also 13 is nothing compared to the people that die from guns daily. The only thing that makes it special/sensational is that its a massacre and contained in a small location.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    This will start up another gun control debate.
    This is unfortunate, because mass shootings have pretty much nothing to do with effective gun control legislation. They're a negligible fraction of the firearm murder rate.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    This is unfortunate, because mass shootings have pretty much nothing to do with effective gun control legislation. They're a negligible fraction of the firearm murder rate.
    I have to agree that gun control will do nothing about these types of events.

This guy already had an arrest where he got angry and shot out someone's tires. Frankly that level of irresponsibility should preclude gun ownership. However, I don't believe for a minute that even if he was legally barred from possessing a weapon that this would have made a difference in this situation.

Now if he had been locked up for a year or more for felony use of a gun in a crime, perhaps things would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    This guy already had an arrest where he got angry and shot out someone's tires. Frankly that level of irresponsibility should preclude gun ownership. However, I don't believe for a minute that even if he was legally barred from possessing a weapon that this would have made a difference in this situation.
    I'm going to assume that if he could only get his hands on a stabbing weapon, the death toll would probably be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I'm going to assume that if he could only get his hands on a stabbing weapon, the death toll would probably be lower.
    Even if we were to completely eliminate all mass shootings in the US, our murder rate would be essentially unaffected.

Given how few deaths in mass shootings we have (though sensationalist news coverage would have you believe otherwise), "reducing mass shootings" is a shitty policy target and a waste of legislative impetus. It's a fucking disgrace that the gun control debate is tied up arguing over pointless shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    Even if we were to completely eliminate all mass shootings in the US, our murder rate would be essentially unaffected.

Given how few deaths in mass shootings we have (though sensationalist news coverage would have you believe otherwise), "reducing mass shootings" is a shitty policy target and a waste of legislative impetus. It's a fucking disgrace that the gun control debate is tied up arguing over pointless shit like this.
    I'm interested, because from other discussions we've had, you are always looking for the end result. The utility. The net benefit.

What do you think is the right course for the overall gun debate in this country?

I honestly want to know. So far we haven't agreed on much of anything, but I don't think you're stupid and I swear I am not trying to pick another argument with you.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Good luck removing all guns from circulation, keeping new ones out, people making their own, etc. All without sparking violent protest or out right war.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Good luck removing all guns from circulation, keeping new ones out, people making their own, etc.
    Not what I proposed nor necessary to such.