Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoes thrown

Default Shoes thrown

Did anyone see the video of the Iraq reporter throwing shoes at George Bush?

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    I'm just sorry he missed.
    That would have been classic had it hit him square between the eyes and knocked him out, cold.

I am glad the idiot missed. After all this was the President Of The United States. No matter how you feel about President Bush this act was just disrespectful as it can get. The Secret Service response was appalling too. This idiot that threw the shoes is also damn lucky to be alive. Just imagine if he tried this stunt just 6 short years ago. He would have been taken right out and given a hot lead injection to his head. Or our old buddy Saddam would have used his side arm on him killing about 3 or 4 other reporters that got in the way of his stray shots. They would have joined the hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqis still buried around the Iraq country side.

I heard about that... however, I'm worried that the reporter will never see the light of day again. You know, now that he's clearly an "enemy combatant."

Thinking this through to its logical conclusion, why does it take a foreign news reporter to bring Bush to task, as opposed to the citizenry of the USA?

[update to the original post below]
    The point-counterpoint provided by the post above, and this one, remind me of a Cold-War Era joke:

A Russian and an American were arguing over who was more free. The American says to the Russian, "I am the more free of the two of us. I have the right to stand up and say that the President of the United States of America is an idiot, and the government can do nothing." The Russian retorts, "That's nothing. I am clearly the free one here; you see, I too can stand up and say that the President of the United States of America is an idiot. And I am rewarded by my government."

I thought that was a customary gesture for visiting dignitaries. I understand they weren't even President Bush's size.

Seriously though, what is it with shoes being used as a sign of disagreement with other country's policies? I still remember Nikita Khrushchev taking his shoe off at the UN assembly, way back when, and pounding it on the desk: Shoe-banging incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's definitely an attention getter!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Brome Teks View Post
    Yeah, I saw that. I lol'ed too.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    I'm just sorry he missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    I wish I was there IRL.