Thread: Battlefield vs. CoD

Default Battlefield vs. CoD

This is a classic, whats is your favourite one and why.

I prefer battlefield for a lot o reasons: teamwork, big maps, good conection, vehicles...

But i want to see your reasons, or if you like CoD, also why.

Thx

The Battlefield gameplay , dating back to its origins, lends itself to far more replayability and strategic creativity or mayhem. I haven't actually played BF3's multiplayer, but I expect it's much the same level of greatness as the previous entries.

The Call of Duty franchise (with its myriad spinoffs) has always excelled at great, immersive storylines that, while a little absurd, always draw me in, without fail. I can't justify the inexplicably high price of these games (Black Ops II is nearly a year old and went on sale for 45 bucks on the weekend) I always eventually pick them up and play them immediately.

Over a longer period of time, I've probably put more time into the Battlefield franchise, so I've more than got my money's worth for all of those games... BF1942, Vietnam, 2142, BF2 and at least the single player campaign in BF3. But my monkey brain has been more recently entertained by the CoD franchise, and because of the frequency of these cookie cutter games, I get saturated with content and my brain doesn't get a rest from the immersive, ridiculous Rambo stories.

My instincts say Battlefield, but I have to say that CoD wins for me if only because of the great single player experience. If I were a more social gamer, I'd totally pick Battlefield.

Half Life, Crysis and Far Cry are all better (in my opinion) than both franchises though.

I like CoD better for online one reason. Its a fast paced shooter.

Yes BF is a great game but most of the times the maps are so big that the battle can be slow to pick up.

Battlefield is the better choice IMO. There's something about being able to play against 63 other people at once that can't be recreated in CoD. Although CoD has some very good gameplay mechanics like smaller maps that demand confrontation between opposing teams and more accurate guns, BF3 is closing the gap on it with modular map designs that allow for smaller groups of people to play in the same way. The guns have also been tweaked to be a little more accurate with the ability to switch between full auto, burst, and single fire.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    I like CoD better for online one reason. Its a fast paced shooter.

Yes BF is a great game but most of the times the maps are so big that the battle can be slow to pick up.
    They are called jeeps, 4x4's, dirtbikes and jetskis. Use them.

Battlefield, even though I disagree with some of the design choices Dice & EA have made over the years. IMO the last "good" battlefield game was bad company 2. BF4 holds my interest with some of the features they re-introduced into the series (naval combat, commander mode) but I'm still skeptical about how good it's going to be due to EA's current track record with battlefield.

I miss playing Battlefield: Vietnam & 2142. Those were my favorite Battlefield games.

Still better than COD.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDorito View Post
    I miss playing Battlefield: Vietnam & 2142. Those were my favorite Battlefield games.
    See, I loved those ones too, as well as BF2... 3 looks wonderful, but if I can't find a server that's not populated by complete tools, how can I enjoy the forced multiplayer experience of 3. At least in the previous games I had the opportunity to play against simulated tools. I have no doubt that 4 will be more of the same, hopefully without the clunky browser integration.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    See, I loved those ones too, as well as BF2... 3 looks wonderful, but if I can't find a server that's not populated by complete tools, how can I enjoy the forced multiplayer experience of 3. At least in the previous games I had the opportunity to play against simulated tools. I have no doubt that 4 will be more of the same, hopefully without the clunky browser integration.
    I swear to god if I can't control the big ships I'm never going to buy BF4. Also idk if they will have bots, but I know they have an offline practice mode for vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDorito View Post
    I swear to god if I can't control the big ships I'm never going to buy BF4. Also idk if they will have bots, but I know they have an offline practice mode for vehicles.
    I just read an interview that confirmed they won't have bots - how I continue to miss this. But I do appreciate the idea of the practice mode, at least I'll get to test out the aircraft before looking like a noob in MP - assuming I get the game.