Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update About How Much People Will Spend on Diapers

Default Update About How Much People Will Spend on Diapers

A while back I asked a question about how much I should try to sell a pack of vintage Attends for. (I know, kind of a crappy sentence. Shut Up.) Well, I just sold a pack of 22 Medium Attends from 2001. I sold them on ebay for $145!!!

From what I saw, people have paid up to $175 for the same pack of diapers. What do you think about that?

I'm not surprised. Diapers are a strong attraction for some and they aren't kept around to be collectors items by most people.

Reminds me of high priced vintage wines.

kayley

This doesn't surprise me. People will pay all kinds of $$ for things they like.
    I'd hate to admit what I paid on ebay for a vintage Cereal boxes.... =>.>=

You won't catch me paying that much for a package, that's for sure. Way to go on raking in the dough though!

To get diapers that are not available in the store, you have to be willing to shell out some cash. For me, to put a price on the nostalgia is hard to do. I pay a LOT for vintage baby diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bambusa View Post
    From what I saw, people have paid up to $175 for the same pack of diapers. What do you think about that?
    Follows the usual rules:

1. no longer in production
    2. not something anyone collected while it was in production (increases rarity)
    3. low cost, so that a lot of people had one at some point in the past (increases number of people that possibly will be interested in it later, ie increases demand)
    4. damaged/altered/destroyed when used normally (greatly increases rarity for like-new condition examples)

There are other factors, but those are the big four. Think stamps, dolls, comic books, coins, baseball cards. Diapers fall into this category pretty easily.

5. easily available to children (greatly increases number of people looking for them when they are adults, for nostalgia)
    6. initial rarity (misprints are a good example)

Some people are willing to spend a lot on old diapers. I am too cheap to do it.

I personally can not afford to go crazy buying just for the sake of buying. I have to have diapers at night, period. I don't have a choice on that front. Prior to actually needing diapers and when I had money to spare I'd buy various brands just to try them and in some cases because I liked them. I know I used to order Abena L4 (plastic backed) jsut because I liked them and money was not an issue at the time, but that's as far as I ever went. I could never justify paying top dollar for vintage or hard to get diapers though as there are a lot more things that I need or want much more badly in life. I have almost a full pack of medium Attends from the 90's that I'll never fit in again....maybe I'll grow the guts it takes to try and sell them if they're fetching that kind of dough!

pepsicolaisgreat

Quote Originally Posted by dwightschruteJR View Post
    You won't catch me paying that much for a package, that's for sure. Way to go on raking in the dough though!
    Same here. I'd like to have some old vintage diapers. But there's no way I'm paying a huge price like that for them. lol

I'm always amazed at what people will pay for things.