Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Want to see a dumb idea?

  1. #1

    Default Want to see a dumb idea?



    Yeah, that's one of the worst Ideas I have ever seen. Novel idea, too bad he has *zero* clue on how phones work.

  2. #2

    Default

    It's actually a decent concept. Impractical and impossible to design with current technology, but it is not a terrible idea. Think of it like a computer (which is what most phones are today anyway). In the early years of the personal computer, the thought of simply taking out memory/harddrive/processor/etc and putting in a new better one was ridiculous. You would have to hire a professional or go back to the original manufacturer just to get a new keyboard or mouse for your computer. Now a third grader can take apart there computer and swap out any piece of it. Laptops are a little harder because of their compactness, but still... with the right guide on youtube, you can do the same with laptops now. Older more basic phones could have components easily replaced, but smartphones are extremely difficult to upgrade, repair, swap out parts, etc. There has to be a way to make it easier, but I don't see it happening any time soon. It would never be as simple as 'bloks', and most companies wouldn't get behind it.

    But that doesn't make it a bad idea, just an improbable one.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by LilMonkeyAlex View Post
    It's actually a decent concept. Impractical and impossible to design with current technology, but it is not a terrible idea. Think of it like a computer (which is what most phones are today anyway). In the early years of the personal computer, the thought of simply taking out memory/harddrive/processor/etc and putting in a new better one was ridiculous. You would have to hire a professional or go back to the original manufacturer just to get a new keyboard or mouse for your computer. Now a third grader can take apart there computer and swap out any piece of it. Laptops are a little harder because of their compactness, but still... with the right guide on youtube, you can do the same with laptops now. Older more basic phones could have components easily replaced, but smartphones are extremely difficult to upgrade, repair, swap out parts, etc. There has to be a way to make it easier, but I don't see it happening any time soon. It would never be as simple as 'bloks', and most companies wouldn't get behind it.

    But that doesn't make it a bad idea, just an improbable one.
    Its not like a personal computer at all. I can't take out my processor and put just any processor into the socket. I also can't mount the power supply anywhere either.

    I wont say its not a novel idea, but there's so many things going against this type of design that its impossible for now.


    also who would buy one of these versus a pre-made iPhone or Android phone? Apple surely wouldn't put iOS on something this upgradable either. So there goes the iOS market. Google already has a hard time managing all of "it's" phones from Nokia, Samsung, HTC, etc. So the OS would be something completely new and something most never used, if they went with a Linux OS.

  4. #4

    Default

    I like the concept, but any proprietory manufacturer is not going to invest in something like this, as it removes their individuality and their sales points.

  5. #5

    Default

    Android also had NO chance of ever over taking iOS when it first came out. And... yet it did. I can see something like this happening in the next ten years or so. I don't think Apple will get behind it at all, but I can maybe see google backing it if their engineers see it as a viable idea. Google is all about crazy new ideas. Apple is kinda stuck in its old ways. They just want to do what has always worked and not rock the boat, especially since their biggest idea maker is no longer with them (may he rest in peace). Google has put tons of money into dumb ideas already (Smart glasses??). I can see them getting into something like this in the future, but for now.. I am partially agreeing with you. It is impossible FOR NOW.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiBoi View Post
    I like the concept, but any proprietory manufacturer is not going to invest in something like this, as it removes their individuality and their sales points.
    KiwiBoi is correct. The phone manufactures are in this to make money. The only way they can do this is to generate interest in their latest feature and convince people they MUST have it.

  7. #7

    Default

    Sounds a lot like the low tech world we had 50/70 years ago. Machines back then were bulit to last. Eg. We have a freezer downstairs from the late 50's to earlier 60's and it still works great ! We also have a sump pump from when the new edition was put on in 1968 & it to still works! Point of the matter, we would have more unemployment and more waist from buildings being left abondoned. Also not to mention companys would eventually fold . The truth is companys that are in the electronic/ gadget business make a product to last a limited amount of time,and it may or may not be better then what you have allready.Leaving us to repurchase it again and again.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post


    Yeah, that's one of the worst Ideas I have ever seen. Novel idea, too bad he has *zero* clue on how phones work.

    i dont know i like the idea. i just dont think it can be done. the idea is original and it makes sence. but can it really be done. i think that is the real question here.

  9. #9

    Default

    Certainly its techincally feasible, but you're all forgetting that it has to get past the accountants and marketing departments.

    Its all about the revenue stream. Apple, Samsung, et al, want you buying new equipment regularly. There's no incentive for them to put any effort into giving you an upgrade path when the competition is selling the latest bells and whistles that your upgradeable architecture may not provide.

    Those of us who actually buy phones based on cost/benefit don't even have smart phones. If the cell phone market were rational, there wouldn't be enough money in it to support the infrastructure.

    As a rational user (and curmudgeon), I thank all you Eloi for dumping money into glitz and sizzle to support the network so I can have a pretty amazing communication device (an old, semi-retarded, Sanyo Innuendo) on a pay-per-view basis for an average of less than $10 a month.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Certainly its techincally feasible, but you're all forgetting that it has to get past the accountants and marketing departments.

    Its all about the revenue stream. Apple, Samsung, et al, want you buying new equipment regularly. There's no incentive for them to put any effort into giving you an upgrade path when the competition is selling the latest bells and whistles that your upgradeable architecture may not provide.

    Those of us who actually buy phones based on cost/benefit don't even have smart phones.

    i have a smart phone but i bought mine based on the fact that i need the internet but i didnt have my laptop to do so. plus it enables me to access my emails without needing my lapptop and i get a lot of emails from people some of them very importent others not so much so haha

Similar Threads

  1. ok im dumb so can i have a key please?
    By babyboyuk in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-May-2012, 15:55
  2. Why do I do dumb things...
    By EmoCowMoo in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2011, 22:47
  3. Probably a dumb question, but...
    By gnd567 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2010, 05:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.