Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Diaper Need Awareness Week

Default National Diaper Need Awareness Week

Hey y'all,

It's National Diaper Need Awareness Week in the US this week, to raise awareness for families with babies/toddlers who cannot afford diapers.

"There are 5.7 million babies and toddlers living in low-income families who may struggle to provide diapers for their children. These children are at greater risk for severe diaper rash, dermatitis, and other health problems. For their families, a baby crying because of a wet diaper that cannot be changed adds to the stress on parents struggling to make ends meet."

National Diaper Need Awareness Week - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation

So while we're all enjoying our adult diapers, let's think about kids/families who might some help getting their own diapers.

Cherub

Interesting article. I never knew such banks existed. My wife and I have contributed many times to the local food pantry with food and other needed items. It is a sobering reality that there really are families right here in the USA that are in such situations.

Some of the diaperbanks also give out adult diapers like one in michigan that I had read about online. The ones that do adult diapers are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    Interesting article. I never knew such banks existed. My wife and I have contributed many times to the local food pantry with food and other needed items. It is a sobering reality that there really are families right here in the USA that are in such situations.
    I'm just wondering who has kids when they can't afford to provide for them. I don't mean people who had steady jobs then the company they work for implodes, but the young adults who are in their mid 20's or younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I'm just wondering who has kids when they can't afford to provide for them. I don't mean people who had steady jobs then the company they work for implodes, but the young adults who are in their mid 20's or younger.
    Lots of people, unfortunately.

I am glad I don't have this problem. I know cloth isn't always the option either if you don't have a washer a dryer and you have to go to the laundromat for it or you can't afford to wash diapers all the time even if your apartment complex had a washer and dryer.

Cherub

I'm just wondering who has kids when they can't afford to provide for them.
    I agree, but such questions can seem to really set some people off (not me though). But I agree with you. If you can't make ends meet, why have kids? It's just going to be really tough on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub View Post
    I agree, but such questions can seem to really set some people off (not me though). But I agree with you. If you can't make ends meet, why have kids? It's just going to be really tough on them.
    It's pretty uncommon for those pregnancies to be planned. When you're poor, sex is good and cheap entertainment. (and cheaper still if you don't say... bother with condoms...) Makes it a positive-feedback problem. Poor couples tend to have more kids. *shrug*

I've seen published in our local paper the wish lists of organizations such as the Women's Crisis Center, County Homeless Shelter list diapers as part of their lists.
    These lists are usually put out at the time of the holidays but will accept them the year round.

Ah....welcome to my world, where I teach in an inner city school. I see this all the time. In one of my math classes, we took a poll to create a data bass and construct bar graphs. We asked the students how many siblings they had. The average ran between 6 and 7, with some having as many as 8. Having children and getting SSI benefits for each child is the new welfare. I believe I'm correct in this, though I don't have concrete facts to back this up. One day I'm going to investigate this, digging up facts, but this is what I understand to be true.

So in essence, we are paying unmarried women to have as many children as possible so that we, the taxpayers can pay them to support these poor children. Understand, I love my kids, and it's not their fault, but there is a cycle that will continue from generation to generation until the government finds the balls to pay for only one child. After all, my employer did not increase my salary when I had my children.