Thread: Musicals on Film: another music thread

Default Musicals on Film: another music thread

Ever since Bugsy Malone I've been a fan of musicals, several of which I saw quite young, like all the Disney fare and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Bugsy Malone introduced me to Paul Williams, who of course also did Phantom Of The Paradise. All these are lasting favorites of mine, to which I must add Chicago, definitely on my list of Good Stuff. How about the rest of you all?

Bad Guys - Bugsy Malone

We Both Reached For The Gun - Chicago

Understandable, understandable
    Yes it's perfectly understandable
    Comprehensible, Comprehensible
    Not a bit reprehensible
    It's so defensible

Last edited by Raccoon; 11-Sep-2013 at 03:56.

I love musicals, too bad I'm the only one in my family who does.

I only have two I can truly call favorites. The Sound of Music and Oklahoma!

I had to do the stage version of the latter when I was in 6th grade. Care to guess what state I grew up in? :P

South Pacific, The Kind and I, and White Christmas are close runners up for favorites though.

Also rans but not favorites: Grease and Grease II

I actually have a New Years tradition, I watch the first two ST:TOS films, followed by Oklahoma, followed by 3 and 4, then The Sound of Music, then I watch the rest of the Trek films followed by The King and I and depending on my mood either White Christmas or the two Grease Films

Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand
    The Wizard of Oz
    Chicago

Great idea for a thread, by the way

Anything by Rogers and Hammerstein. State Fair, Sound of Music, Music Man, South Pacific. Can't remember all of them anymore.

Back in the '70's I think, television produced several musicals starring Robert Goulet. State Fair was one of them, with the great song, "You'll Never Walk Alone". They also produced "Brigadoon" which I also enjoyed. When I was a kid my mom took me to the movies to see the Mario Lanza movies such as "Student Prince". There was a another one called "Apple Blossom Time" which was quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand
    The Wizard of Oz
    Chicago

Great idea for a thread, by the way

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    Anything by Rogers and Hammerstein. State Fair, Sound of Music, Music Man, South Pacific. Can't remember all of them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Back in the '70's I think, television produced several musicals starring Robert Goulet. State Fair was one of them, with the great song, "You'll Never Walk Alone". They also produced "Brigadoon" which I also enjoyed. When I was a kid my mom took me to the movies to see the Mario Lanza movies such as "Student Prince". There was a another one called "Apple Blossom Time" which was quite nice.
    Yes, Yes and Yes!

I'm not generally a fan of conventional musicals, but in honour of recent events, I nominate 'Keating!' The Musical We Had To Have, in which, amongst other delights, you can see Prime Ministers Questions re-imagined as a rap battle

Oh my word. My WORD, My word my jolly jolly gone goodness gracious me ------------that rap battle was utter and total magnificence. If I can borrow a word or three from Cole Porter

At words poetic, I'm so pathetic
    That I always have found it best,
    Instead of getting 'em off my chest,
    To let 'em rest unexpressed,
    I hate parading my serenading (true dat, eh?)
    As I'll most likely tell it bad
    But if this ditty is not so pretty
    At least it'll tell you
    What good fun I had

That was the top!
    That was a fresh Bambino
    That was the top! that was to-tal extremo
    That was Fabines... after they went on and then I had to go
    That was a tail by Temperence, utterly eloquent
    That was a to-tal scre-amo
    That was a Cad-bree flake in my ice-cree-amo
    That was as great as a masturb - wait - as would be this deletion
    That was a romp right up there with a massive glomp
    And now we're at the bottom and I'll stop

Here so you can sing along is a lovely version of the song, starring Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith, of Avengers and Harry Potter fame, respectively...both beloved of ancient raccoons.

Last edited by Raccoon; 12-Sep-2013 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    We had to watch Camelot in 10th grade English class with Robert Goulet and Julie Andrews, I believe.

Oh, that was a good one. My children's high school has an excellent drama program. They produced Connie Brittan, the author of "Brave Heart", the actress Faith Prince, Tony award winner, and others. My son was in "Camelot" and the ending always gets to me.