Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Do not wear sleepers that are too small for you

Default PSA: Do not wear sleepers that are too small for you

I saw the thread on Target sleepers and felt I had to make a PSA about sleepers that are too small. (TL;DR: Never wear a footed sleeper that is too small for your feet, even for a short time. It could cause real damage to your feet.)

Last winter, I bought a footed sleeper from Target in boys size XL, the largest available size. I wasn't sure if I'd fit into it, but it was cheap and cute, so I thought I'd give it a try.

When I got the sleeper home, I did manage to squeeze into it, barely. The feet in particular were very tight, tight enough that they made my big toenails hurt. I figured it wouldn't kill me to spend some time in mildly uncomfortable clothes, and I wanted to get my money's worth, so I wore the sleeper to bed a couple of times.

A few months later, I noticed that it had been a long time since I cut my left big toenail. A couple more months later, the skin around my toenail started looking red and a little painful. I thought maybe it was infected, but maybe the infection would go away by itself. That Friday afternoon, as I left work, I couldn't walk to my car without limping.

I decided to go to the emergency room, where after a long wait I was given a topical antibiotic, which didn't cure the infection. My primary care doctor gave me an oral antibiotic, which also didn't cure the infection. I finally went to a podiatrist. He told me he'd need to remove part of the nail. When I explained to him I thought the toenail might have been injured by wearing footed pajamas, he said the whole nail would have to go.

Happily, the procedure was quick and painless (thanks, Lidocaine!) but the whole ordeal was fairly icky. The toenail is still growing back. It's too soon to tell whether I'll get a healthy nail.

Morals of the story:

1) Feet are fragile. Do not wear sleepers that are too small for your feet, no matter how cute they are.

2) If it's Friday morning, and you're not sure if you need to go to the doctor to have something looked at, just go.

3) Always be up front with your doctor about what may have caused the condition you have. If I had been too shy to tell my podiatrist I had worn footed PJs, I might still be dealing with this problem.

The cat in the hat sleeper my mom sent me last year has kinda small feet for me, I've felt pain in my toes when I laid out and stretched. So I just curled up very slightly so my toes aren't trying to rip trough it.

Also nail removal sounds painful, and likely is. Its almost like something out of a horror movi.. oh wait. Don't watch the clip, seriously.

I will not buy any more cheap sleepers not worth the money. On one of the other threads on this sit Snug as a Bug was noted as a place to get sleepers. I looked over there size chart and thought large would work for me but I didn't know what I was going to get for my money. So I looked at there sales page and found what I liked so I called them on there 800 number and had good fun wilt whoever was on the line. So I order two pair and because I ordered on that day I got FREE SHIPPING. So I got two pair for the price of one and free shipping what a deal.

They arrived not two days later by CANADA POST. Well this day it was hot here even with the AC on I had to try them. Super! They are great couldn't keep them on as I was getting really hot. The last week it's been cool around here and if I leave the window open it's even cooled. Guess what I have been wearing one every night and I am Snug as a Bug. Hooooo!

So I will never buy another cheap pair of footed sleepers.

bn3baby

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The cat in the hat sleeper my mom sent me last year has kinda small feet for me, I've felt pain in my toes when I laid out and stretched. So I just curled up very slightly so my toes aren't trying to rip trough it.

Also nail removal sounds painful, and likely is. Its almost like something out of a horror movi.. oh wait. Don't watch the clip, seriously.

i have had several ingrown toenails. they were really painfull. i had to go and had the nail removed completely and then i was put on antibiotics for 6 weeks which caused me to have big bowel problems.

Wow I remove ingrown toenails myself with clippers and pliers. I just rip'em right out. It feels wonderful after they're removed.

fortunately, I haven't had to have any ingrown nails removed, but, I did try a sleeper that I ordered one size too small, it wasn't nice, and ended up getting thrown out after two uses. I wont even consider going for anything waay smaller than me. the current sleeper is just right thank you

I've gotten my footed jammies from Jumpn' Jammerz and have been very pleased with them. I've had trouble with my big toe nails ever since I had my broken leg from when I was 14. After I came out of the cast and was walking again, I had terrible ingrown toenails and they had to be cut down to the quick, with gauze rolled up as drains. It was extremely painful.

I had missed so much instruction in Geometry that I had to stay after school every day and walk 5 miles home on those painful feet. I will always remember that year. Even now, my toes are sensitive, and if I stub them slightly, I'm in extreme pain.

The problem I had wasn't actually with an ingrown toenail. The toenail got jammed, and the back of the nail was partially detached from the nail bed. A new nail started growing underneath it. The infection was in the skin near the back of the nail.

My podiatrist had a chair that leaned back, allowing me to look at the ceiling and not see what he was doing. The local anesthetics were powerful enough that I didn't know when he had removed the nail. I thought he was still preparing it.

pepsicolaisgreat

Wow. Thanks for the warning. I've been thinking of getting me a sleeper sometime and I'll be sure to get one the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsicolaisgreat View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the warning. I've been thinking of getting me a sleeper sometime and I'll be sure to get one the right size.

As Dogboy said jumpinjammerz are good at designing for adults. The one I got from them is like half a inch or bigger on the feet then my shoes are.