Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Government Here In Australia

funnythings12

Question New Government Here In Australia

Over Here We Have A New Government

We Vote or we get finned

i must admit the new government girls are hot and cute

our government tony abbot Cutting Fiber at the NBN

woulded been nice if we got a piece of land call baby island and have a diaper government diaper tradies diaper shops and everything we could dream about

Lol, Baby island? Well you could always send a letter requesting lol.

That's not the worst of it.

For those of you who don't know how bad Tony Abbott is to us, then allow me to use a very good analogy: he is our Mitt Romney, and he has just been elected as the Prime Minister of Australia.

He has been quoted to saying things like how it is wishful thinking to think that women could EVER be in a senior position in the workplace, and that abortion is "the easy way out" Coincided with his seemingly misogynistic views, he has also abolished any hope Australia had when he opposed same-sex marriage. Now, as long as he and the Liberal party are in power, that great step forward in human history will not be accepted.

In addition to that, he is also cutting back on education funding which is considerably bad news to a uni student such as myself, and his internet plan is the most ludicrous plan ever conceived as it will "be able to download a 20 minute video in 10 minutes when the internet is fully installed by 2019" I can download 40 minute videos in half that time! Has he ever even USED the net before?

I don't usually get into politics, but knowing this misogynistic, homophobic and down right idiotic bung-hole is now in charge of the country I call home, I would have no regrets with just leaving this place. However, knowing that there are others who share this view, I'm staying to be there to force open any cracks this new government presents to us and just watch it crumble.

I have unfortunately spent the past 24 hours raging alongside my friends about this.

We're all fearing the worst, but praying for a good outcome throughout this. In any case, stuff like the internet can hopefully be changed by petitions to Abbot like this one: https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitio...erior-ftth-nbn

Since stuff like that has helped in the past with things like SOPA and all that. In any case, us Australians really are living in backwards land now and we're hoping that we can change that.

But on a personal note, fuck Tony Abbott.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagged View Post
    That's not the worst of it.

For those of you who don't know how bad Tony Abbott is to us, then allow me to use a very good analogy: he is our Mitt Romney, and he has just been elected as the Prime Minister of Australia.

He has been quoted to saying things like how it is wishful thinking to think that women could EVER be in a senior position in the workplace, and that abortion is "the easy way out" Coincided with his seemingly misogynistic views, he has also abolished any hope Australia had when he opposed same-sex marriage. Now, as long as he and the Liberal party are in power, that great step forward in human history will not be accepted.

In addition to that, he is also cutting back on education funding which is considerably bad news to a uni student such as myself, and his internet plan is the most ludicrous plan ever conceived as it will "be able to download a 20 minute video in 10 minutes when the internet is fully installed by 2019" I can download 40 minute videos in half that time! Has he ever even USED the net before?

I don't usually get into politics, but knowing this misogynistic, homophobic and down right idiotic bung-hole is now in charge of the country I call home, I would have no regrets with just leaving this place. However, knowing that there are others who share this view, I'm staying to be there to force open any cracks this new government presents to us and just watch it crumble.
    Wow, that sounds horrible, Jagged. Talk about turning the clock back on human rights; women in the kitchen, ignore the gays, and an uneducated youth population. You say you don't usually get into politics, but it's never too late to start. Sounds like your country needs every progressive voice to work together and defeat these losers. Political climates change and don't last forever. No government is immune to that. Right now it's a matter of trying to minimize the damage as much as possible.

I feel for you guys, being in canada and having Harper feels the exact same way! I wouldn't mind the diaper island though. Best of luck down under!

So what happened that you guys got this fuckhead running the show now? What little I've been seeing suggests it was mostly people pissed off that Labour couldn't get its act together and changed leadership a couple of times. How long are you stuck with this government? Is it sufficiently stable to survive challenge?

Anyways, this does seem to be the way of things these days, too. Hang and and brace for impact. I'm sure we'll get ours here in '14 or '16 too as a response to electing a mediocre and black president.

In some countries bombs go off at polling booths, people are beaten and murdered for supporting non-corrupt candidates.

We should be thankful for the lucky democratic country that we, Australians, live in. Even if we don't agree with the leaders that our people have elected.

Saturday was a great day for Australia because we exercised our freedoms that we sometimes take for granted.

Whilst we don't have to support our local, state and federal leaders, we should respect their position in that they were fairly and democratically elected by the majority of people in this country.

If we disagree with their views then the floor is always open to debate and you can cast your vote at the next election, without getting persecuted, maimed or killed.

From what I've read (up here in Canada), Labour relied heavily on the Greens and Independents throughout the last three years and that support collapsed. It's another case of an election that was lost by the government more than one that was won by the opposition. Abbott also had strong support from the media magnates and major newspaper groups calling for a change in government.

In Canada, we have a multi-party parliament, but members are elected though a first past the post system. The outcome is that we now have a false 'majority' government that, in actuality, represents less than forty per cent of the Canadian population.

My sympathies to the people of Australia. It looks like the usual conservative agenda which includes tax cuts that will benefit primarily the wealthy, cuts to health and education, and anti-refugee legislation.

This is how I see politics and politicians in it's entirety.

Lying Politicians And Words:
    George Carlin was actually invited to the White House for that speech.

George Carlin Doesn't vote:
    My thoughts exactly, George.

He uses America as a reference for a lot of his jokes, but he's really referring to nations/countries that allow voting.

This may also interest some, too, the definition of terrorism:

"Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective. It has been used throughout history by political organizations of both the left and the right, by nationalist and ethnic groups, and by revolutionaries. Although usually thought of as a means of destabilizing or overthrowing existing political institutions, terror also has been employed by governments against their own people to suppress dissent; examples include the reigns of certain Roman emperors, the French Revolution (see Reign of Terror), Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union under Stalin, and Argentina during the “dirty war” of the 1970s. Terrorism's impact has been magnified by the deadliness and technological sophistication of modern-day weapons and the capability of the media to disseminate news of such attacks instantaneously throughout the world. The deadliest terrorist attack ever occurred in the United States on Sept. 11, 2001 (see September 11 attacks), when members of al-Qaeda terrorist network hijacked four commercial airplanes and crashed two of them into the twin towers of the World Trade Center complex in New York City and one into the Pentagon building near Washington, D.C.; the fourth plane crashed near Pittsburgh, Pa. The crashes resulted in the collapse of much of the World Trade Center complex, the destruction of part of the southwest side of the Pentagon, and the deaths of some 3,000 people".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terrorism

Take note of the bit in bold; sound familiar? The war on drugs, the war on terrorism, the NSA spying bill - aka the GCSB and boy does the list go on. Just more fear mongering techniques they instill on to the population to push an agenda. I mean hey, if they were really there for the general population then they wouldn't have to use those techniques, but if government just started running-a-muck than that might just raise some questions, now wouldn't it.

Food for thought...
    Last edited by Speck; 08-Sep-2013 at 17:18.