Thread: Need Help Selecting a GPU

Default Need Help Selecting a GPU

I am building a dedicated gaming desktop to replace my laptop and while i got the rest mapped out the way i want it the pat im having trouble with selecting a proper GPU. the set up i will be running will be a 3 monitor setup while i wont run the games on all three very often (maybe once and a while) but i want to be able to run 3D games on one monitor, a movie or TV show on another and be able to either run a second game monitor or system usage programs to monitor processor, GPU, and ram status on the third. the GPU i was looking at was the ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2GB

Will 2GB be enough or will i have to find a 4gb version of it. or would the GTX 780 3GB be a better choice for the multi monitor setup?

well my max budget for just the GPU would buy 3 GTX Titan's but i am going for balance of power vs price over streight raw power. i have the cash to build a PC with the top of the line intel i7 six core, 32GB ram and 3 GTX titans SLI. but that is way to OP/Overkill/overpriced plus id like to have some cash left over for college. i still want a real high end rig but am not going to go gung-ho overboard on power i will never use. im looking for optium for three monitors W/O going overkill. price isnt an issue, specs and balance is.

- - - Updated - - -

besides my cousin has the 32GB, 3 titan, AMD 8-core running 4 monitors. he has never touched half its potential and he runs it as a Gaming/Server/Webhost. it is Rediculously FAST.

I don't stay up-to-date with all the specs, so I don't have much to say myself... But I've always trusted the articles on tomshardware.com. Here's one that you might find interesting: Best Graphics Cards For The Money: August 2013

The ram on the gpu becomes important when you want more than one monitor.

So 3 monitors i would go for 780 (1gb for each monito) or titan (2gb each). (Dont forget to look at wat for kind outputs you need)

And a quick last thing. SSD in raid 0, make the boot up time so mutch faster. But take at least 240 gb.

No Raid 0, there looks to be no cause for it. The ONLY times to use Raid 0 are when you need to make one logical disk out of two physical disks, or if you routinely use programs that max out your read/write speed. The gains are the very definition of minimal outside of those, while you risk your data integrity (~.96 times the number of disks as having them as single disks.) As he has said he does not want to pay for power he won't use I'd recommend one SSD for the OS and programs that need read/write speed and one HDD for everything else. Saves him time, more stable, and more space for his dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
    The ram on the gpu becomes important when you want more than one monitor.

So 3 monitors i would go for 780 (1gb for each monito) or titan (2gb each). (Dont forget to look at wat for kind outputs you need)

And a quick last thing. SSD in raid 0, make the boot up time so mutch faster. But take at least 240 gb.
    the monitors i have are DVI/HDMI. 23in ASUS 2MS DVI/HDMI. i already have the HDMI cord, two DVI cords and the old DVI adaptor.

and i already have a SSD idk if raid 0 but it is a 256GB for OS and programs and i have a 4TB standard disk for data

One thing to look out for with the graphics card is to see if it can run three displays on its own or if you will need an Active adapter to run three displays. Most cards only have two clocks so they can only two displays without the active adapter. Or at least that is why my card won't run all three at once.