Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Awkward Cashier Encounter Ever

Emily91

Default Most Awkward Cashier Encounter Ever

So, today I was at Walgreens and decided to pick up a pack of the Depends Silhouette. I know they don't hold more than one wetting, but that's okay—I was only planning on wearing them to class and stuff for fun. Not to bed or anything like that.

Anyway, I was standing in line behind about three people when the women in the beauty department said she could help someone over there. Naturally, I headed right over. Since this particular Walgreens is right across the street from my collage campus, I didn't want to spend too much time in line incase I ran into someone I knew.

This lady was probably in her late 40's, and extremely chatty. She made a lot of small talk while she scanned my items until she went to scan the diapers, she commented with a lot of enthusiasm "Ohhh Depends Silhouette for Women, huh? How are these?" I just smiled awkwardly and said that I haven't tried them. Which wasn't only the truth, I had hoped to hint at the possibility that I wasn't buying them for myself.

She didn't take the hint at all, and continued inspecting the package, "They look so thin, hopefully they don't leak on you honey." Not wanting to admit they were for me, I still didn't say anything. Then she asked what I wore them for. At this point I was genuinely shocked that she would ask something like that—I just looked away and started to swipe my debit card. She still didn't take the hint that I didn't want to talk about it, and kept asking me quetions like, "Are they for at night? ...No? ...Just for during the day?" When I didn't answer, she finally gave up and told me to have a good day.

Such a crazy experience... I've literally been buying diapers for years and this is the first time I've had a cashier say anything. Usually it's the other customers I have to worry about.

Wow, glad you managed to get through that eventually! Sorry you had a tough time, though in hindsight the cashier could be a DL as well and unable to tell anyone about it and therefore could have been offering a version of solidarity. I don't really know for sure, I wasn't there but I can tell you about my local medical supply store where the lady sees me come in and immediately goes to fetch a bag of Abenas, which isn't all that bad but the last time I was trying to look at the other diapers she came over and I felt like I had to get 'my usual' which I was short on cash for that day

Tough situation - those busy body type cashiers can be a real nuisance....

Quote Originally Posted by Emily91 View Post
    So, today I was at Walgreens and decided to pick up a pack of the Depends Silhouette. I know they don't hold more than one wetting, but that's okay—I was only planning on wearing them to class and stuff for fun. Not to bed or anything like that.

Anyway, I was standing in line behind about three people when the women in the beauty department said she could help someone over there. Naturally, I headed right over. Since this particular Walgreens is right across the street from my collage campus, I didn't want to spend too much time in line incase I ran into someone I knew.

This lady was probably in her late 40's, and extremely chatty. She made a lot of small talk while she scanned my items until she went to scan the diapers, she commented with a lot of enthusiasm "Ohhh Depends Silhouette for Women, huh? How are these?" I just smiled awkwardly and said that I haven't tried them. Which wasn't only the truth, I had hoped to hint at the possibility that I wasn't buying them for myself.

She didn't take the hint at all, and continued inspecting the package, "They look so thin, hopefully they don't leak on you honey." Not wanting to admit they were for me, I still didn't say anything. Then she asked what I wore them for. At this point I was genuinely shocked that she would ask something like that—I just looked away and started to swipe my debit card. She still didn't take the hint that I didn't want to talk about it, and kept asking me quetions like, "Are they for at night? ...No? ...Just for during the day?" When I didn't answer, she finally gave up and told me to have a good day.

Such a crazy experience... I've literally been buying diapers for years and this is the first time I've had a cashier say anything. Usually it's the other customers I have to worry about.
    I'm sorry for that experience. They aren't supposed to ask questions like that to embarrass customers. But sadly, some don't follow the rules. Hopefully this won't deter you from future purchases. I've stopped buying from stores in person. Stores around me only carry the Depends, and I've found some other brands that I enjoy much more. So I purchase them online, and have them shipped to me. Is there any chance that you might be able to have some shipped? Most are sent in plain boxes, so no need to worry if it sits outside your apartment / dorm. No-one will know what they are.

im ab which mean si like the childish look of my diapers and I couldn't uy the ones I like in store so I have to order online and when I do I go abit crazy sometimes and I really don't kno why lolz. I think it might be coz I see the diaper and I lose my grownup mindset lolz.

I think Mommy would have be mortified at this situation, but she would have tried to go along with even mentioning how embarrassing it was to have to buy at such an early age.

Haha...if only you had text me while this was going on I could have hired the Goodyear blimp to fly by over the store and your college campus with its lights saying, "Look! Emily Is Buying Diapers!"

The good news is at least no one will have any memory that it happened besides you in about a day.

I once had a guy by my college town ask me if a pack of Goodnites was for hazing or something. I agreed that they were.

Wow, most cashiers certainly would not chat someone up while buying a private item like that. Odd that she would automatically assume they were for you, or question why you wore them. As if buying diapers wasn't embarrassing enough already. However rather than dropping hints you probably could have said "They aren't for me" or "I don't want to talk about it" or "That's a little personal".

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    The good news is at least no one will have any memory that it happened besides you in about a day.

I once had a guy by my college town ask me if a pack of Goodnites was for hazing or something. I agreed that they were.
    that is really cool and smooth of you buddy