Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thumb-sucking

Default thumb-sucking

I see by the little pop-up that this has been covered before, which doesn't surprise me. I've read those threads, and they are most informative. But I did want to say this:

As I began truly rediscovering my Little side (within the last two weeks, in a sudden rush of memory and recognition and epiphany that resulted, ultimately, in my telling my husband about it--the first time in my life I have ever told anyone IRL), the weirdest thing happened. I was having a bad moment, one of those difficult, panicky moments when you're really concerned about something and you get all skritchy and your breathing quickens? You know? Well I was sitting there, and my hands were both up near my face, cradling it, when one of my thumbs...completely on its own...slid into my mouth.

I watched in fascination as this happened. I mean it was not as if I was not present or anything: I was totally cognizant of what was going on, but all I could do was incredulously analyze what the hell it was and why it was occurring. Because I knew that I had never sucked my thumb in my entire life. So it was, to put it mildly, a tad weird.

Even weirder though was that once it was there and I was sucking it, everything in my body started tingling and I felt...transformed. It was so very comforting and so very soothing that I just kept doing it, trying to trace with my mind the sources of the calm that was coming over me but eventually just giving into it and accepting it.

That moment started something. In the last ten days I've been sucking my thumb a lot. I do it in bed, of course, but I do it watching TV, sitting on a couch, petting the cat, pretty much any time I feel any anxiety or tension and want to wash it away. And I've done it at school, too. My classroom is perfectly situated so that, if I am in it alone, no one can see me from outside and I have ample warning if anyone enters before they see my desk.

The only problem I have found with it is the fact that sucking my thumb, while feeling really good and looking kind of cute, takes away the use of one of my hands. I can't do much while a thumb is in my mouth, so that limits me. So I am going to order a pacifier. I read that the Nuk-5 is the way to go, so I'll get one from pacifiersrus.com. I like the purple shield a lot.

How many other thumb-suckers are there who only discovered this pleasure later in life? Or am I alone in that?

Enquiring babies want to know...
    Last edited by kerry; 03-Sep-2013 at 04:13. Reason: noted having now read earlier threads

While I was seen sucking my thumb in the uterus via ultrasound, I was not a thumb sucker as an infant or small child. (Perhaps because my mother kept a pacifier in my mouth.) I remember experimenting with it around the age of 12 or so, just to see what it felt like. But then when I was fifteen, I developed some health problems and had a lot of anxiety. I guess one night it just occurred to me, ''Why not suck your thumb?" And I was pretty much hooked. It became my crutch, and I couldn't wait to go to bed every night just to slip my thumb in my mouth. And 5 years later, I still have the habit, although I indulge a lot less frequently than I did in the early days, and I use a pacifier at night instead. I guess I just feel like my whole world would crumble apart if I had to give up either thumb or paci and never do it again.

ive been a thumb sucker all my life. majority of ultrasound scans my mum had (she had alot cos i was high risk pregnancy) i was sucking my thumb. my newborn pictures im sucking my thumb, toddler pictures either thumb or bottle. and as a child clear overbite from thumb sucking and i remember i could get my entire thumb through the overbite and suck on it with my jaw clenched. when i got braces i tried to stop so only sucked the tip of my thumb, but still needed it there. and whenever im feeling sad or anvious i suck my thumb. my friends know about that.

the only downside is that my thumb has quite a bit of scar tissue and rough skin on it from years of sucking it.

I started sucking my thumb again at the age of 14. At first I thought it was a nervous habit . Has it turned out it was part of my brain that had taken me back to being a baby as away of me protecting myself. It has been ether my thumb or paci ever since.

I have begun sucking my thumb over the last 3 months(roughly when i found adisc), the thing is I mainly do it when i go to bed and I have fallen asleep with it in. I am worried that my wife will come in one of these nights and catch me, and since it has been completely innocent, i don't know what i am trying to say here, only this has become a habit and i worry as natural as it seems to me that i will be found out, my wife doesn't generally appreciate my tendencies. on the positive side i do find this to be something very relaxing.

I sucked my thumb at a very early age and did not really stop until I was 16. I went through two years of no thumb while I was concious. My sisters told me that as soon as I fell asleep I would automatically put it in. I had no idea till then that I still did that. However when I turned 18 I had a horrible and near death situation and in the middle of the ICU where EVERYONE could see me I would suck my thumb cause it was the only thing that really truly gave me comfort. So I guess I sorta rediscovered the amazingness of thumb-sucking later in life. After a few months I noticed how sore my teeth would get so I switched to a NUK 5. It was heaven. I had the use of both hand yet I could still suck it was awesome! I will say this though Look at Baby-pants.com for a pacifier they are nearly half the price of PacifiersRus and they have better customer service. I asked them about a mouth guard that they did not carry at the time and they started to make them just few short weeks later. Also pacifiersrus now does not use the actual nuk brand so they are a slightly different shape which I hated. babypants uses the actual Nuk 5 made in Germany and they do not mark it up as much. You can get pretty much any of their NUK 5 for 22-24 dollars where as when ordered from pacifiersrus I payed like 40-60 dollars.

I started thumbsucking again back in February but soon switched to a NUK5 from babypants.com. I recently bought a second one from them so as to have a backup. I sleep almost every night with it and my plushies.

I'm on vacation right now, so I couldn't bring the pacifier with me. I miss it. I at least have a plushie to keep me company.

I have been sucking my thumb off and on for the past 25 years or so.

Very calming and comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by binkygirl View Post
    I will say this though Look at Baby-pants.com for a pacifier they are nearly half the price of PacifiersRus and they have better customer service. I asked them about a mouth guard that they did not carry at the time and they started to make them just few short weeks later. Also pacifiersrus now does not use the actual nuk brand so they are a slightly different shape which I hated. babypants uses the actual Nuk 5 made in Germany and they do not mark it up as much. You can get pretty much any of their NUK 5 for 22-24 dollars where as when ordered from pacifiersrus I payed like 40-60 dollars.
    Thanks for this great advice!

When I first discovered an interest in adult baby stuff, sucking my thumb never really entered my mind. I bought a pacifier simply because I thought they looked cute and from what I read on the internet, a lot of ABs really liked them. And over time, I discovered that sucking a pacifier was very calming and comforting! I've sucked my thumb a few times since then, but mostly I use my paci. I think maybe some of us try sucking a thumb or paci because it feels like a natural thing to do, and then keep doing it when we discover how calming it is. At least, that was my experience.